Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The percentage of advanced degrees is going up everywhere as younger workers are better educated across the board.
That's not really turning out the way some thought it would:

1)
Quote:
"The millennial generation is still lagging in the workplace, making up about 40 percent of the unemployed in the U.S., says Anthony Carnevale, a director and research professor for Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce."
Millennials: Young, Supposedly Educated, Jobless - Newsweek

2)
Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
"U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and workplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers":
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

I can post info on how and why this precipitous decline happened, if anyone wishes. It began 50 years ago, and it was intentional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Much of politics is arguing over which type of policies does the best for everyone. So this might be an interesting read for all:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/o...y-is-blue.html
Red States vs. Blue States Comparison - Vaughn's Summaries

From reading many articles in addition to the 2 above, I see a correlation:
Blue states tend to:
Have higher average incomes
Have a larger highly educated population
More progressive taxation system with a stronger safety net
Jobs tend to focus on "white collar" types (office jobs)
Have people who have a longer life expectancy
Less religious
Less gun ownership
Way higher cost of living - due to desirability

Red states tend to:
Have lower than average incomes
Less educated population
Less progressive taxation system with weaker/non-existant safety net
Jobs tend to focus on "blue collar" types (manual labor/manufacturing)
Have people who have a shorter life expectancy
Be more religious
Higher rate of gun ownership
Lower cost of living - due to desirability

I don't want to hear the BS "FAKE NEWS!", this is all statistics. Interesting to say the least.
When one considers the state of "red" economies that lack minerals, one is left wondering why anyone of them would ever even consider voting GOP.

Fiscally most Red states are struggling, they have failed and failing policies, meanwhile "Blue" states policies are working , increasing incomes, jobs , standard of living etc. It is stunning to see the millions of doublewide dwellers continue to talk about "freedom" , "big government", "taxes" etc and yet vote for a party that strips them of virtually benefit and social service they desperately need...

Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
When one considers the state of "red" economies that lack minerals, one is left wondering why anyone of them would ever even consider voting GOP.

Fiscally most Red states are struggling, they have failed and failing policies, meanwhile "Blue" states policies are working , increasing incomes, jobs , standard of living etc. It is stunning to see the millions of doublewide dwellers continue to talk about "freedom" , "big government", "taxes" etc and yet vote for a party that strips them of virtually benefit and social service they desperately need...
Red states are struggling? There certainly has been a massive migration of people and corporations from blue states to these so called struggling red states.Texas alone has a gsp alone well over half the blue states combined, its one of the largest economies on the planet. I love Vermont but its not an economic powerhouse .

The part about the average income and education trump voters is seriously incorrect like alot of this thread. But an analysis of exit poll data by FiveThirtyEight finds that Trump voters have higher median household incomes than the typical American, and higher education levels too.

https://qz.com/679589/trump-voters-e...ical-american/

The question might be why are so many urban poor so happy with Democrats, Democrats gave been running Detroit,Baltimore,Oakland ,Camden,Newark and on and on into the ground

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't know why but the Red states need more help from the government despite their cry for less governmental intervention. Maybe if they paid their employee a decent wage they wouldn't have to go on Medicaid.
It's just politics. Red states never met a government program they didn't like. Their constituents love federal programs they benefit from. They just need to release their "hatred" of federal government that Rush and Savage fees into their heads like a tease valve

Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
None of those statistics surprise me.

It'd be interesting to see "affordability" listed, with affordability defined as the median annual income divided by the median house price. What good is a six-figure salary if an average house costs seven figures?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:39 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Pay close attention to what that scatter plot chart tells us... Note that the highest levels of government benefits and services are provided by countries (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Belgium) in which taxes are flat (everyone pays the same tax rate) or regressive (shown as the negative values, meaning a greater tax burden is placed on those with lower incomes)[/color]. And note where the USA falls on the graph. The USA has the most progressive tax system, and therefore is least able to fund progressives' societal goals.

(Scatter Plot info, for those who need more explanation of what Scatter Plots tell us: https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/scatter-xy-plots.html)
Complete and utter BS. The middle class has the highest tax burden.

Probably some miscalculation or poor understanding of our tax system.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Prove it.

I can prove otherwise. I'll let you make a fool of yourself, before I do.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:55 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Prove it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.26913d9d1d1a

Old 02-13-2017, 01:02 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Red states are struggling? There certainly has been a massive migration of people and corporations from blue states to these so called struggling red states.Texas alone has a gsp alone well over half the blue states combined, its one of the largest economies on the planet. I love Vermont but its not an economic powerhouse .

The part about the average income and education trump voters is seriously incorrect like alot of this thread. But an analysis of exit poll data by FiveThirtyEight finds that Trump voters have higher median household incomes than the typical American, and higher education levels too.

https://qz.com/679589/trump-voters-e...ical-american/

The question might be why are so many urban poor so happy with Democrats, Democrats gave been running Detroit,Baltimore,Oakland ,Camden,Newark and on and on into the ground
You most likely missed my first sentence which has what I thought was a clear caveat " minerals "....ie digging something up....

No biggie, I miss stuff myself all the time..

and yep we should talk about why we have failing cities. I would guess that it related directly to our national failure to support transitional industry and its workers.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
How does that show the middle class has the highest tax burden?

Show your work.

The assertion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Also, that analyzes only federal income tax rates, while the Economic Research article includes local, state, and federal taxes.

I'll straighten you out on this after you try to prove that the article you posted shows that the middle class has the highest tax burden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies