Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

You forgot one: pharmaceuticals. While medicine does serve a purpose sometimes, a lot of it is toxins. Just look at all the commercials about malpractice if someone took such and such drug and experienced fatal injuries or death. I am far more worried about taking an anti depressant (which is why I refuse everytime) than I am about getting blown up by a terrorist.
I find that a lot of Americans seem to blindly trust their doctors but yet they worry about terrorism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The problem with that logic is that it assumes that right now the floodgates are open and people just walk on in with no vetting.........that is not correct. It takes a long time for immigrants to be approved, and they do go through a lot of hoops first.

The ones that Trump is concentrating on, with his stupid ineffectual wall, are Mexicans, and they are not the terrorists we need to look at. His beliefs that most of them are drug dealers, rapists, and murderers is just fuel he throws on the fear fire to keep his followers excited.

As I said before the only thing the wall does is keep good people out. We already have laws/borders in place..this is overkill but it's difficult for them to understand that because they bought his snake oil.

I think what it is is people associate having concern for things other than terrorism is misplaced paranoia but real paranoia is doing things like putting in a wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So how long are we supposed to act like cowards? 20 years? 100 years? 1000 years? By spending trillions of dollars protecting ourselves from an incredibly unlikely threat, talking about what a threat the terrorists are nonstop on the news every day, profiling, strip searching, body scanning, removing shoes, computers, liquids, searching luggage, vehicles, wiretaps, cell phones, emails, doing background checks, and everything else on someone we think may be a terrorist, the terrorists have won. How do we prove that we are stronger, more powerful, and that we have recovered from that horrible tragedy? By actually proving it and showing them that we are not afraid of them anymore. Instead, we demonstrate the exact opposite: them everyday that we are just as terrified, and even more so, than we were after 9/11. So who are really the victors? The terrorist losers. And I bet they laugh at us every day because they have proved how weak we are and they can control our behavior all the time from thousands of miles away.
I find it so ridiculous and the thing is ever since then, people are being searched left and right whether they're American or not. The irony is it is only supposed to be about the other countries. They trust Americans until they don't.
I still remember when I went to the airport and they threw my body wash out (with California tax I had to pay more money to replace it) because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to carry it on. What the hell am I going to do with a bottle of cheap body wash come on now? And how do I look like a terrorist at all? I mean have you even seen me? Just look at my clueless baby face that says it all. I may be smart but I'm not that clever..I'm not trusted enough to get hired for a job but I'm trusted enough to blow up a plane with body wash? Not to mention if I'm too stupid to realize I wasn't supposed to carry it on how am I smart enough to commit such a dangerous act? Don't you think the real terrorists would hide that crap better? Of course as I said Americans can be dangerous too and they often are moreso than the illegal immigrants in my experience. However sometimes the security measures are just ridiculous. Checking IDs to prevent identity theft YES. Things like worrying about all liquids being on the plane...no esp when you can't bother to realize the body wash is not aerosol (yes that's what the security woman called it)
Removing shoes is a concept I don't get either. Can you hide a bomb in your shoe?
We are doing too much of this as it is and now you want to add a wall to this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Nope.

Here's a list of notable domestic terror attacks:

April 19, 1995: Oklahoma City bombing - White Nationalists
July 27, 1996: Centennial Olympic Park bombing - Right Wing Conservative
October 13, 2000: Firebombing of Temple Beth El (Syracuse) - Palestinian Nationalist
September 2001: anthrax attacks - Right Wing Conservative
May 2002: Mailbox Pipe Bombing – Right Wing Conservative
October 2002: Beltway Sniper Attacks - Revenge Murder of Ex-Wife/Insanity
March 3, 2006: Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar SUV attack - Deviant Islamist
July 28, 2006: Seattle Jewish Federation shooting - Hate Crime/Mental Instability
July 27, 2008: Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting - Right Wing Conservative
May 31, 2009: Assassination of George Tiller- Right Wing Conservative
June 10, 2009: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting - White Nationalists
November 5, 2009: Fort Hood shooting - Deviant Islamist
February 18, 2010: 2010 Austin suicide attack – Right Wing Conservative
September 1, 2010: Discovery Communications headquarters hostage crisis - Environmental Activism
August 5, 2012: Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting- White Nationalists
April 15, 2013: Boston Marathon bombing - Deviant Islamist
June 17, 2015: Charleston church shooting - White Nationalists
November 27, 2015: Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood shooting – Right Wing Conservative
December 2, 2015: San Bernardino attack - Deviant Islamist
June 12, 2016: Orlando nightclub shooting - TBD, Insanity...was gay, gave allegiances to oppossing groups
September 17–19, 2016: New York and New Jersey bombings - Deviant Islamist

Quite the mix if you ask me. Conclusion...go ahead and monitor people like me, but certainly monitor Trump supporters as well.
Quite amazing, that 1% of the population is responsible such a large # of attacks on Americans?

Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,464 times
Quite amazing that a small fraction of people has upended Europe with their terror attacks and taking over of entire neighborhoods. Liberals get their panties in a bunch over 4/100'th of 1% CO2 in the air, but they give terrorism and erosion of culture a free pass.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 876,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

As I said before the only thing the wall does is keep good people out. We already have laws/borders in place..this is overkill but it's difficult for them to understand that because they bought his snake oil.

Removing shoes is a concept I don't get either. Can you hide a bomb in your shoe?
We are doing too much of this as it is and now you want to add a wall to this mess.

The wall will help control who and who is not allowed to enter this country. It doesn't matter if they are "good people" or not, they must come here legally or not at all.

Yes, you can easily put a bomb in a shoe, it happened in December 2001. Luckily the muslim terrorists sweaty feet got the plastic explosive wet so it wouldn't ignite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_f...e_bomb_attempt

Old 02-16-2017, 05:45 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
I understand the OPs premise. However its no defense of allowing in waves of "refugees" from ME countries that are dripping in people who want to come here as fighters for Islam. Just because me n mie are more at risk from a car wreck doesn't mean I want to e sitting I a booth at IHOP net to a group of men from the ME who are making Risin in some low rent apartment. Ijust heard on the news that terrorists have killed 200 people in France in the last two years. That number is going to go up.

I'm not quaking I my boots over terrorism. But I sure as hell am not taking it for granted either.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

I'm not quaking I my boots over terrorism. But I sure as hell am not taking it for granted either.
Terrorism involves a whole host of threats and up to now terrorists have not been very sophisticated, they usually use crude bombs or weapons, indeed even 9/11 was carried out with box cutters by a group of men who had taken flying lessons. Whilst lone terrorists using vehicles as weapons are also not really what you would call sophisticated.

That is not to say we shouldn't be alert to new and emerging threats and be able to respond to them.

Top-secret military warning on Ebola biological weapon terror threat - The Guardian

Isis's dirty bomb: Jihadists have seized 'enough radioactive material to build their first WMD' | The Independent

UK vows to 'strike back' against cyberattacks

Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
You forgot one: pharmaceuticals. While medicine does serve a purpose sometimes, a lot of it is toxins. Just look at all the commercials about malpractice if someone took such and such drug and experienced fatal injuries or death. I am far more worried about taking an anti depressant (which is why I refuse everytime) than I am about getting blown up by a terrorist.
I find that a lot of Americans seem to blindly trust their doctors but yet they worry about terrorism?

I think what it is is people associate having concern for things other than terrorism is misplaced paranoia but real paranoia is doing things like putting in a wall.

I find it so ridiculous and the thing is ever since then, people are being searched left and right whether they're American or not. The irony is it is only supposed to be about the other countries. They trust Americans until they don't.

I still remember when I went to the airport and they threw my body wash out (with California tax I had to pay more money to replace it) because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to carry it on. What the hell am I going to do with a bottle of cheap body wash come on now? And how do I look like a terrorist at all? I mean have you even seen me? Just look at my clueless baby face that says it all. I may be smart but I'm not that clever..I'm not trusted enough to get hired for a job but I'm trusted enough to blow up a plane with body wash? Not to mention if I'm too stupid to realize I wasn't supposed to carry it on how am I smart enough to commit such a dangerous act? Don't you think the real terrorists would hide that crap better? Of course as I said Americans can be dangerous too and they often are moreso than the illegal immigrants in my experience. However sometimes the security measures are just ridiculous. Checking IDs to prevent identity theft YES. Things like worrying about all liquids being on the plane...no esp when you can't bother to realize the body wash is not aerosol (yes that's what the security woman called it)
The reason people make Laws, and don't ask your approval is because a lot of people like you are so clueless. Terrorists don't have to be "other" people. They can be people like you or me, and any other citizen or non-citizen.

Yes, we have Laws against illegal entry, but we also have Laws against Bank Robbery, but Banks still put their money in a Safe. By your way of thinking, there is no need for those or a Wall, because we have a Law? So they are just "Paranoid?Your kidding, right?

OK, They threw out your body wash. So? You should have known it was not allowed, same as your supposed to know you can't put a gun in your pocket either. Its against a rule. Who is to know what you have in that bottle? It could be a Nitro Explosive compound with some fragrance added. It could be a Nerve Agent, that's activated when exposed to air. It could be anything. Do you expect them to take your word for it? It doesn't have to be in a spray can. A couple of drops of Sarin spilled on the floor would kill everyone on the plane.

And "YES" you can hide a Bomb in a shoe. Guess you never heard of the "Shoe Bomber?" A small amount of a plastic explosive hidden in a hollowed out heel of a shoe, can blow a hole in the side of a plane and bring it down instantly. It doesn't have to blow up the plane. All it has to do is compromise the cabin and the pressure.

Whats being done to make us safe is being done because some folks don't know anything about making anything safe, so some one else has to do it.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
We already had one 9/11, we don't need another one. Lax border security policies mean that countless sleeper agents could be crossing the border with Mexico right now biding time before they attack your neighborhood.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:37 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Quite amazing that a small fraction of people has upended Europe with their terror attacks and taking over of entire neighborhoods. Liberals get their panties in a bunch over 4/100'th of 1% CO2 in the air, but they give terrorism and erosion of culture a free pass.
Do they? I don't know any "liberals" giving terrorism a free a pass.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

People are cowards being scared by others to manipulate them. Stop it. Pay more attention to your shower.
Aside from your ideological bent that would critizie a (R) but give a (D) a pass, I tend to agree from a statistical standpoint.
With that said, terrorism can be much worse in this day and age of WMD's compared with the stats of the past.
So when X amount of people get killed with a bomb, gun, truck mow down, etc. the numbers are very small. Granted those cold stats are little comfort to the people killed and their victims.
The trouble is that those incidents can take anyone, at any given location, thus the fear that is instilled into people who are innocent civilians.

Be that as it may, if we were subjected to a bio/chem/radioactive WMD in a population base, it would be devastating. Not only to those directly killed/injured, but it would damage our economy.
Under Obama he not only minimized the threat, but even classified terrorism as something it wasn't (i.e. workplace violence) as if people would be stupid enough to believe him.
Trump wants to minimize those threats more so than Obama did, and most people support this stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies