Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,119,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Here is a perfect example for me that shows the Ds don't really care about improving education, but care more for the government, political bureaucracy, and big unions around education. DeVos and Stanford's research has shown that education, especially in math and reading, improved in Mi and especially in Detroit in some of the worst schools with charter schools and DeVos programs, and yet democrats are manufacturing fear and distraction at her policies.

Teachers unions in a panic over school choice - The Orange County Register
"A 2015 study from Michigan State University's Education Policy Center found that a high percentage of charter schools also had a devastating impact on the finances of poor Michigan school districts like Detroit. Researchers reported that, under the state's school choice and finance laws, it was hard for districts to keep traditional public schools afloat when charters reached 20 percent or more of enrollment. While per-student public funding follows kids to charters or other districts, traditional public schools still have fixed costs to cover, like building expenses and faculty salaries. Charter growth also increased the share of special-needs students left behind in traditional public schools, and the extra costs for educating such students weren't adequately reimbursed by the state."

The Senate Just Confirmed Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary. Every Single Democrat Voted Against Her. | Mother Jones

Old 02-13-2017, 06:40 AM

58,637 posts, read 26,934,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
During the election his character is what stood out most. I didn't want someone with his temperament in office threatening diplomacy around the world.

That said, he didn't have any 'issues' that he stood for with a plan. It was all babble. If he was pressed on the subject of his plan, all he said was 'it's going to be great, it's going to be tremendous, you'll see and thank me for it'. I couldn't take anything he said seriously.

What he said he stood for I did not (and do not) agree with. The wall, targeted immigration restraints around religion, defunding planned parenthood, clueless on foreign policy and the environment.

I am sure others will chime in.
"he didn't have any 'issues' that he stood for with a plan."

I don't know how old you are but, I have NEVER seen a presidential candidate come out with a detailed "plan" during the campaign.

For instance, what was Obama' "plan" to "fundamentally change America"

What was any of Hillary's or Bernie's plans to accomplish "free college", and the other things they talked about.

Face it, it didn't MATTER what Trump said or did, you were NOT going to vote for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I would say the fact that you're seeing record donations at causes like Planned Parenthood is an indication.

Same with refugee causes and also with the ACLU, as many of us are worried about losing
our first amendment rights with this administration.
"seeing record donations at causes like Planned Parenthood is an indication."

It is an indication to me that the fed does NOT have to fund a private organization and that those that support it SHOULD be the one's who support it financially.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:43 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,347,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Repealing healthcare. Replacing it with vouchers or health savings accounts for Medicare? With no healthcare, workers can't advance to better jobs because they would lose their healthcare. Small businesses can hardly afford healthcare.We need universal healthcare and no one in Trump's administration can figure out how to do it.
No one in Obama court could figure out how to do it either, everything in life is not free

Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 AM

50,355 posts, read 23,934,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You sound very upset about a lot of nothing.
Lying and misrepresenting is not nothing.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
You mean issues like a truly botched EO that couldn't survive a simple court challenge? Like rolling it out without any plan for implementing it, on a Friday night, and then having the whole world see the administration flail around a whole, loooong weekend as a result?
Hyperventilate much?

Explain the OTHER judge in Mass who DID say the EO was OK.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Just this last Thanksgiving, a Somali refugee tried to run down a bunch of people at Ohio State and then stabbed a whole bunch of them.

So I guess you'll only be satisfied when people die.

As for the Muslim countries not on the list, they are not 1) failed states, 2) in a state of civil war, or 3) openly hostile to the U.S.

BTW, the seven countries chosen by Trump were considered especially dangerous by the Obama administration....that's where Trump got his list.
And interestingly, the countries on the list do not do business with Trump businesses, but the countries not on the list do.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, sure you would have.
We wouldn't have liked several of the other candidates, but most of them we would have accepted.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Flynn, Pence, Conway, DeVoss, and Trump are all LIARS. These people have no problem lying to the Public. Look at this mockery Conway made of the White House when she forgot where she was and did a commercial for Ivankas clothing line. What other President has hired such idiots? Seriously.
"are all LIARS."

AS are the ones YOU VOTED FOR.

So, what is the difference?

YOUR candidates lie, that is OK.

The candidates that you do NOT support lie, and OH the horror!

The word "hypocrite" comes to mind.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,125,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Repealing healthcare. Replacing it with vouchers or health savings accounts for Medicare? With no healthcare, workers can't advance to better jobs because they would lose their healthcare. Small businesses can hardly afford healthcare.We need universal healthcare and no one in Trump's administration can figure out how to do it.
Are you going to pay 100% of your own costs or do you expect the taxpayers to foot the bill in whole or in part for you? Figure out how to implement universal healthcare without completely screwing the rest of us over then maybe you can run for President.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies