Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Yes, most of us GenX'ers grew up with home video game consoles, and the early Apple computers that didn't do sh*t.
Thank you! I thought I was still completely stupid. The very first computer class I took was Apple Basic....and in the whole course I never could get the computer to do anything different other than turn on and say hello.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The difference is, we can appreciate it, because we saw it 'born'.

We remember the old days of fingering the round dial (and God help you if you got the number wrong), no remotes, only having 4 channels, all black and white, etc.
Party lines
The National Anthem as the channels went off and to the test pattern
Standing and saying the pledge of the Allegiance every morning at school

Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
While I think GenX very much is it's own distinct generation, I say we as a whole are more like Boomers.

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boomers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Maybe.

The irony is we have been using cell phones, computers, and the like longer than the Millennials as we were there at the very beginning.
When I'm not working, have a chore to do, or working out (martial arts). I'd say Ever since I got my first smart phone I been on the internet constantly in my free time. I sometimes out and hike or something like that, I leave the iPhone alone. But on an average. Yeah I'm in digital world.
So maybe that's why I feel a bit more in tune with millennials....maybe.

Last edited by baystater; 02-14-2017 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Yes, most of us GenX'ers grew up with home video game consoles, and the early Apple computers that didn't do sh*t.

Still, even with that stuff, we tended to have lives outside of technology, and had a great deal of independence compared to the following generations.

Uh, the days of the boom box, walkmans, and Atari, I remember well. I skipped the mohawk, but have a picture of myself on my BMX bike with Vans shoes, and my Swatch watch. I did have a starter mullet going on. LoL
Ha! I was quintessentially Northern Californian. Surfboards in our garage, raced BMX myself in both powderpuff and boy's novice class. My dad raced flat track and was thrilled to have a tomboy for a daughter. Until I went through that whole aforementioned rebellious mohawk phase. That was a bridge too far for the old man.

What a fun thread!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:07 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The difference is, we can appreciate it, because we saw it 'born'.

We remember the old days of fingering the round dial (and God help you if you got the number wrong), no remotes, only having 4 channels, all black and white, etc.
True indeed.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
They're both too narcissistic for my tastes.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Has anyone but me noticed that sometimes behavior's and things come back around as well? I grew up without the microwave and didn't get our first one till the mid-80's. When I mentioned this my son actually went as far as to ask me, "Then how'd you cook?" Now our millennial generation seems to be more food conscious and it's all about the food prep, the cooking and seem to have a good grasp on the culinary world. (Or at least my millennial does). Any other things that we grew up with.....lost there for awhile.....but seem's to be making a comeback for the younger generation?

Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,209 times
Carefree childhood running all over the place, doubt millennials can even conceive of it.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Carefree childhood running all over the place, doubt millennials can even conceive of it.
We couldn't let them, unfortunately.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:31 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
When I'm not working, have a chore to do, or working out (martial arts). I'd say Ever since I got my first smart phone I been on the internet constantly in my free time. I sometimes out and hike or something like that, I leave the iPhone alone. But on an average. Yeah I'm in digital world.
So maybe that's why I feel a bit more in tune with millennials....maybe.
Everyone uses the Internet and cell phones all the time now. I see guys 25 years older than me doing Facebook on their phones.

My point was that is presented as this defining characteristic of a Generation. Well that is fine except that the prior Generation was already doing it and even the one before them have caught up. Hell, we are all doing it right now on this site.

Sorry old bro. It's just not that new or innovative anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies