Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I'm Gen X , and also don't fit in either of the other generations. Don't like much about either other generation.
We're not giving you enough free stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
'69 born Gen X'er thru and thru. Raised on punk and new wave, questioned authority and sported a mohawk, ripped on yuppies and material excess, both delighted and drove my boomer parents nuts, and am doing my very best to prevent my kid from becoming an obnoxious whingey millennial. So far, so good!

Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would say it depends on which end of gen x are you

Gen x is defined as 1961 or 1965( seems as many disagree on when gen x starts) through 1979/80

for those from the early or middle high 60's would have views closer to the boomers

from what I have seen the millennial's are kind of lazy , and don't have a good work ethic ...but that is my opinion from my foxhole
HHmmm... that makes me a Gen Xer then instead of a late late boomer. I always thought Boomers went to 1964?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Baby Boomers lack technical skills"? Boomers were the ones that created the modern computer and cell phone Industries?

But they have lives so they don't spend all their spare time keeping up with the latest tech. Since they are the bosses, the kids will have to simply deal with that annoyance until they retire.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:24 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
'69 born Gen X here. Oddly enough, my values relate more towards the Silent generation. I am an only child, raised in a blue collar family. Mom stayed at home, dad worked all the time. I had chores, never really was spoiled , and entered the workforce at 14. Even though I relate more to the old school generation, I love my tech..not that I'm a techy. I enjoy FB, the net and such but don't need to keep up on the latest gadgets. I'm not degreed but work in an industry (30 years )that now does require one.

Funny thing, my parents are young Boomers (dad is 70, mom 67) and I can see them relating more with Millennials than they do me.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Funny thing, my parents are young Boomers (dad is 70, mom 67) and I can see them relating more with Millennials than they do me.
I said the exact same thing the other day. Mom just turned 80... love her to pieces but man is she getting childish again....

Old 02-14-2017, 09:32 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
While I think GenX very much is it's own distinct generation, I say we as a whole are more like Boomers.

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boomers.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I see this thread turned into a stereotypical Millennial bashing awfully quick.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Not wanting to make a vs. generation type topic, just curious for those here that would be Gen X, do you view yourself more like the boomers or more like the millennials?

And overall, how would you describe your generation being a kind of in between one?
I'm 50; Boomers. They didn't expect to be given a job right out of college, and work was a thing you had to do to make ends meet. They weren't handed the keys to our cars for their birthdays; they had to get jobs to pay for them. We wanted to get out of our parents houses, so we took on extra jobs to be able to afford it, and got a couple roommates if we had to. We worked our way up in our careers and started out at minimum wage like they did, too.

This is not to bash millenials. Not all of them are the opposite of what I wrote. We raised our kids to be self-sufficient, but they would rather have had us hand them the car keys with nothing expected of them. Some of their friends were spoiled rotten, and of those, one is now in prison, while another is a successful lawyer. It's a mixed bag.

Last edited by convextech; 02-14-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
While I think GenX very much is it's own distinct generation, I say we as a whole are more like Boomers.

GenX was the last generation to grow up without the internet, and cell phones, and that is the real divide, and makes us closer to the Boomers.
Maybe.

The irony is we have been using cell phones, computers, and the like longer than the Millennials as we were there at the very beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies