Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:36 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times

Advertisements

The budget will have more money for the Military, but.... for war, not taking care of the vets.

Just remember 5 times the GOP denied Obama the funding to properly take care of our vets.

The VA is a GOP Org and is all messed up.

5 Times Republicans in Congress Screwed Veterans

More guns though, right? That will solve our problems. /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 03:38 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I haven't seen it but then I am not part of the Dem/liberal (shadow government) swamp that still needs to be cleaned out of the highest circles - but I am sure one of those people will be along shortly to tell us all the scuttlebutt and what we should think of it all.
So you and the Tea Party will embrace larger budget deficits because early indications are he wants to increase military spending, infrastructure and across the board tax cuts.

Last edited by Goodnight; 02-14-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-14-2017, 03:39 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
In 30-plus years, the republicans have never failed to vote AGAINST anything that would benefit our veterans. During the same period, every one of them with real power has attempted to rob medicare and social security as well.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Meh. Presidential budgets are meaningless. If we wanted to make them useful we would print them on toilet paper.

Yes I know, the GOP folks on the right screamed about them constantly. Thats foolishness. The congress and Senate have a long history of completely ignoring them, I dont expect this to change, but I bet Trump will be surprised by it. LOL.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Just wondering how late into "early February" we have to wait until we see what the trump budget is going to look like. Can hardly wait to see what his policy and funding priorities are going to be.

"The President submits a comprehensive budget request to Congress in early February which outlines the Administration’s policy and funding priorities and the economic outlook for the coming fiscal year."

The Budget | Budget.House.Gov
It's not a law. In fact, a President doesn't have to submit any budget at all, since constitutionally, that is the job of the House.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:01 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So you and the Tea Party will embrace larger budget deficits because early indications are they he wants to increase military spending, infrastructure and across the board tax cuts.

a) Why would you think I could or would speak for the Tea Party?

b) If have $100 and I also add to that another $100 by doing some extra work on the side to bring those extra bucks in, I have $200 this year (but I only had $100 last year). I prioritize my spending so that what I want most .. which may cost $120 .. is what I decide is the highest priority to spend it on.

If last year I only brought in $100, I would have gone over budget to buy that $120 item but this year, due to good planning and hard work, I have enough and still some left over.

I also have another option too .. if my budget is $100 and I want to put most of that money on a new bike that costs $75, I may just have to cut out the helmet that costs $30 or sure I would be in the hole. I can decide to not buy the helmet if it isn't absolutely necessary or I can go out and earn $5 more to stay even.

Why would I have a larger budget deficit if either of the above is the case - even though I spent more than I spent last year or decided to spend the same amount but on different things?

Perhaps you will say that tax cuts HAVE to mean we have only $80 to spend this year, not $100, but many of us would say wait and see on that one because it is just possible that if there are more people paying taxes or more people making more money so that they still pay more in taxes than last year, even if the rate is lower on all of it, we could still have more in the kitty to play with.

Many different scenarios are possible and you only try to pin me (who didn't even talk about the budget but merely the fact I have not seen it and who might be along to tell us more about it) down as though I am stupid enough to only see one possible scenario - and right now NONE of us have any information to base anything on?

The only thing I will say right now is that yes, I think Trump does want to put priority on the items/areas you mentioned. Obama put priority on other areas (and by the way his fiscal responsibility was not that great as I think all of us are aware). Trump also plans to try to bring spending down (or at least not send it skyrocketing) I believe but there are many ways to do that and still have SOME things cost more without going off the deep end as I have illustrated. If worse comes to worst, he could shut down whole departments that we probably really shouldn't have at the federal level anyway - and move those dollars to his highest priority areas.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM

833 posts, read 520,728 times
First year budgets are called "skinny budgets" because technically the previous president has already submitted a budget for FY17, which started October 1.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Just wondering how late into "early February" we have to wait until we see what the trump budget is going to look like. Can hardly wait to see what his policy and funding priorities are going to be.

"The President submits a comprehensive budget request to Congress in early February which outlines the Administration’s policy and funding priorities and the economic outlook for the coming fiscal year."

The Budget | Budget.House.Gov

CR till end of April - forget about it- they not even talking about it because ACA is in the BUDGET

Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
It will be interesting to see what he comes up with but they are pretty meaningless. Congress overwhelmingly vote them down when forced to vote on them and then do their own thing.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:19 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
a) Why would you think I could or would speak for the Tea Party?

b) If have $100 and I also add to that another $100 by doing some extra work on the side to bring those extra bucks in, I have $200 this year (but I only had $100 last year). I prioritize my spending so that what I want most .. which may cost $120 .. is what I decide is the highest priority to spend it on.

If last year I only brought in $100, I would have gone over budget to buy that $120 item but this year, due to good planning and hard work, I have enough and still some left over.

I also have another option too .. if my budget is $100 and I want to put most of that money on a new bike that costs $75, I may just have to cut out the helmet that costs $30 or sure I would be in the hole. I can decide to not buy the helmet if it isn't absolutely necessary or I can go out and earn $5 more to stay even.

Why would I have a larger budget deficit if either of the above is the case - even though I spent more than I spent last year or decided to spend the same amount but on different things?

Perhaps you will say that tax cuts HAVE to mean we have only $80 to spend this year, not $100, but many of us would say wait and see on that one because it is just possible that if there are more people paying taxes or more people making more money so that they still pay more in taxes than last year, even if the rate is lower on all of it, we could still have more in the kitty to play with.

He's in for a real brawl with this crew and I don't mean the democrats.
Many different scenarios are possible and you only try to pin me (who didn't even talk about the budget but merely the fact I have not seen it and who might be along to tell us more about it) down as though I am stupid enough to only see one possible scenario - and right now NONE of us have any information to base anything on?

The only thing I will say right now is that yes, I think Trump does want to put priority on the items/areas you mentioned. Obama put priority on other areas (and by the way his fiscal responsibility was not that great as I think all of us are aware). Trump also plans to try to bring spending down (or at least not send it skyrocketing) I believe but there are many ways to do that and still have SOME things cost more without going off the deep end as I have illustrated. If worse comes to worst, he could shut down whole departments that we probably really shouldn't have at the federal level anyway - and move those dollars to his highest priority areas.

I don't understand how you can reduce taxes, increase spending and not run record deficits. Where exactly are those efficiencies that will balance a budget of this magnitude. We will see about the spending cuts, they need to be significant beyond the usual suggested items like food stamps and foreign aid. Cuts to DOD would be meaningful but that appears to be going in the other direction so where are the spending cuts.

He's in for a real brawl with this crew and I don't mean the democrats. I think infrastructure is a great idea but it needs to be offset with taxes, not just new deficits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies