Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times

Advertisements

The girl they interviewed is confused. I will say that. However, she brings up a point that is true and no one likes to talk about. White people have way more opportunities in general than black people. Not everyone, but in general. I think it is getting better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 04:20 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The girl they interviewed is confused. I will say that. However, she brings up a point that is true and no one likes to talk about. White people have way more opportunities in general than black people. Not everyone, but in general. I think it is getting better though.
True but she said people of color though, not just black people.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
Me bad. Saw the shirt which looks male to me.

Then thought a word which is also a synonym for cat.
Then had worse thoughts.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Can someone please explain what exactly causes this kind of mentality among white people? I understand wanting to help poor and disadvantaged people, but by god, so many of these leftist whites for all their talk about Nazi's if they were told there were some gas chambers and they went into them it would help non-white/LGBTQ+ community would happily, and gleefully walk right in all with a smile on their face.

I really don't get this cult-like thinking. Fact is for various reasons someone will be #1 in the world, and regardless of what race it is it will always inevitably amount to a lot of people being exploited, taken advantage of and screwed over. Yeah, it may not be "right", but looking through history different points in time had different races at the top which invariably lead to no less the kinds of things white people did, white people just happened to be the ones that managed to do so at the later points in history.

I am not saying we should ignore or censor our history, but it amazes me how so many want to act as if all the bad things Europeans did was inherently a white thing, when in reality had any other race had the same tech, influence, etc. they would have done the same thing.
I don't care about their mental journey. But wearing these badges, ribbons, and slogans makes them easier to identify!

Old 02-15-2017, 07:45 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Simple math. Most of the US is white. It is now and it was before so "most" is to be expected. I'm not white and I refuse to use that lame excuse for failures.

Hardly anyone owned slaves no matter their race.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It is the result of doing wrong for hundreds of years and never truly doing right by all those who were wronged over that period. It affects generations and not just of those who were wronged.
Who has to do right by whom?

If white people are legacy debtors and racists, then that means that the legacy of white people is also legitimate in positive senses, should be celebrated, and preserved in a nation state.

It also means that black people are legacy criminals for every bad thing that they have done in Africa and elsewhere. Did the Moor's, and by extension all Muslims, ever apologize for "doing wrong" to the Spaniards or for taking White slaves? No? We should make them pay, today, apparently.

Or, there is no such thing as legacy guilt. You can choose one option, but not both.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Who has to do right by whom?

If white people are legacy debtors and racists, then that means that the legacy of white people is also legitimate in positive senses, should be celebrated, and preserved in a nation state.

It also means that black people are legacy criminals for every bad thing that they have done in Africa and elsewhere. Did the Moor's, and by extension all Muslims, ever apologize for "doing wrong" to the Spaniards or for taking White slaves? No? We should make them pay, today, apparently.

Or, there is no such thing as legacy guilt. You can choose one option, but not both.
Whites were also the majority that died in this war.The most important one.

Black Soldier and Sailors in the War | War of 1812 | PBS

Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
On the OP I don't see the issue. Why are you all upset that these white students want to have a "conversation about race?"

I am not all gung ho about these new racial terms like "white privilege" but I do feel that racism and discrimination in this country have been primarily driven by the white demographic since the 17th century to today. It is a cultural influence - the concept of "white supremacy" and the idea that other cultures/races of people are inferior in a variety of ways versus white people. This is something that has been discussed under the title of "the race problem" for over 100 years in this nation. Many times it was primarily discussed by black intellectuals like WEB DuBois.

He said on the subject in 1934 from "A Negro Nation Within the Nation":

The colored people of America are coming to face the fact quite calmly that most white Americans do not like them, and are planning neither for their survival, nor for their definite future if it involves free, self-assertive modern manhood. This does not mean all Americans. A saving few are worried about the Negro problem; a still larger group are not ill-disposed, but they fear prevailing public opinion. The great mass of Americans are, however, merely representatives of average humanity. They muddle along with their own affairs and scarcely can be expected to take seriously the affairs of strangers or people whom they partly fear and partly despise.

For many years it was the theory of most Negro leaders that this attitude was the insensibility of ignorance and inexperience, that white America did not know of or realize the continuing plight of the Negro. Accordingly, for the last two decades, we have striven by book and periodical, by speech and appeal, by various dramatic methods of agitation, to put the essential facts before the American people. Today there can be no doubt that Americans know the facts; and yet they remain for the most part indifferent and unmoved.

I believe that these students unlike the majority of whites in America in regards to the blue, are being "moved" to look at white America instead of always making blacks and other minorities the one with "the race problem."

IMO it is a positive step. No minority can make any white person seriously look at racism and discrimination. They have to do it themselves. I have written before that many view the Millenial generation and the one after it as being some sort of "whiners" and "lazy" and lacking in skills that older generations find important. IMO, as a Gen X member, I am usually impressed by the Millenials, especially so in regards to their commitment to decreasing discrimination and racism in our country. That is a positive thing. I think they need to work out how they will go about doing so, but I do feel that the racism that whites have, is something they need to get rid of themselves. I agree with DuBois in this speech but feel that these kids - 70 years after this lecture was given, are taking steps to diminish the indifference and to become "moved" to change white American's reactions to racism and discrimination in this country going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Would you label it as a psychological disorder?

Surely anyone who feels personal guilt/shame about things that happened hundreds of years before they were even born has a few screws loose, no?
I personally feel that racism and an adherence to a supremacy or inferiority ideology based on ethnicity/race is a psychological disorder. But on these kids I don't get from the link, which surprisingly was not as biased as I thought it would be, that they have "guilt" over anything. IMO it seems as if they want to decrease racism and discrimination by working primarily with whites to do this. I think it is a practical way to fight racism/discrimination. Silly with the buttons and such but it is always a good idea IMO to work on decreasing the disease of racism.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Are Middle Eastern people taking actions similar to those in the OP's post? You asked was why people were taking such measures. I simply offered an answer. Different people are affected in different ways.

Slavery has been around virtually from the beginning of time. I don't know what Middle Eastern people are doing and it isnt a country, but rather an entire region made up of different ethnic groups and religions.
So the modern day slavery that they practice is ok with you. Got it. ****ing hypocrite

Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,253 times
It looks like they are unwittingly recreating the Holocaust, similarly to when the Nazi's forced the Jews to wear stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies