Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Absolutely!

Those who oppose abortion should never be forced to have one.

I agree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Make abortion legal for democrats. Then both parties can get their way.

PS. I personally don't care about the abortion issue either way. Just compromise so we can put an end to all the bickering.
There already is a compromise...we all have a choice. The Supreme Court settled this DECADES ago - why are we still talking about it? I don't know.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 PM

51,604 posts, read 25,617,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Let us know when you figure out how to make pregnancy fair.

Until you have figured out how to make men suffer all of the negatives of carrying a pregnancy and giving birth things will never be fair.

Risks to health and life, discomfort and agonizing pain.

Risk of losing income, job promotions or outright losing a job.

Financial losses. Missed work, medical expenses, new clothing, etc.

Until all of these things are made fair, abortion will remain the woman's choice.

After birth, men and women are already held equally responsible.....that is as close to fair as nature will allow.
Yep.

Men who want to be sure a woman will carry a pregnancy to term would be wise to work out the details of that arrangement ahead of time.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,766,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We already have compromise, it's called C-H-O-I-C-E. Those who believe in it can choose it, those who don't can reject it. And I very much doubt it's split right down party lines as you seem to believe.
Not with the electorate but it is split down party lines for nearly every public office, at least at the national level.

Abortion is still the biggest wedge issue in our politics, moreso than LGBT rights which is a very big wedge. A candidate can't be elected as a Republican without being pro-life and can't be elected as a Democrat without being pro-choice. There are probably some exceptions to this in local offices, but that is pretty much the rule for any national or statewide office.

I am for compromise on the issue. I think abortion should be banned after the first trimester except in cases of rape, incest, or medical complications. During the first trimester, there should be no restrictions on it. However, that position is too conservative for most Democrats and too liberal for most Republicans. It's common sense though.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:34 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,278,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It's his kid as much as hers.
Absolutely not. Her body. Her choice. Alone. Man ain't got nothing to do with it.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,133,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
In my interaction with my more conservative/Republican friends/family, they really do support the freedom of choice. As long as it coincides with their belief system, their definition of values and morals. It looks and feels like freedom of choice as long as you subscribe to same/similar set of views/perceptions.

The minute you deviate (and I do "deviate") from that set of views/perceptions, it changes from an issue of personal freedom of choice to an issue of their religious freedoms.
Mmhmmm...which means that they truly don't support freedom of choice.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,911,941 times
I get the impression the population at large is generally OK with the current arrangement.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM

113 posts, read 56,573 times
We have the separation of church and state here....so RvW should still "stand" , with some limitations to the situation, such as more clauses on late term abortions etc. Heck, in my humble opinion, we have the medical technology for women to walk into the drug store for the day after pill, and pregnancy testing which allows almost everyone to be aware of the pregnancy very early on. So, besides for certain select situations ( which I am not going to list here, nor debate here) woman can chose to receive pregnancy termination very , very early on. In most cases, they do not need to wait until later in the pregnancy.

Churches that are against termination of pregnancy could start helping those who wish to give birth to the child...this form of "help" could take many and all forms. This would be in line with their desire to support life.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 PM

4,488 posts, read 3,903,739 times
I support women who fight for the right to kill their children. You've sure come a long way, baby.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,893,995 times
I personally do not support the concept of abortion as a birth control method. BUT it is not for me to tell someone else what to do.

But I will leave this little bit of info. See Roe vs. Wade there has been a DRASTIC decline in abortions in the USA. The belief is that at that time -- when abortions became legal, but weren't allowed to be federally funded for the record...there was also a push for sex education and providing easier access to birth control.

Making it illegal won't deter women from seeking them out. The rich will be approved for their D & C's and still have 'procedures'....it will be the poor that will travel to back lane and alley ways to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies