Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:06 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
SAME HERE.

When I was in high school I baby sat and cleaned houses on the weekends for extra money during the school year. During the summer I worked at Burger King.

During college I worked retail 35 hours a week most of that time. I also did a stint of sitting with elderly people in the evening - it made it easy to do homework and make money at the same time.
This is the America I remember. I don't know when Americans stopped doing these things or when people started believing they did. I know young people who still work at fast food places, babysit and do odd jobs. My own grandkids (as did my kids) would pick up any work people were will to pay for, getting hay, stacking wood, clearing brush, putting up fences, etc. I see legal citizens of all ages doing service jobs everyday. Perhaps it is a geographic problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I grew up across the street from a winery. I visit on average two wineries every weekend. I would not pick grapes for anything less than $100 an hour. Nor would I flip burgers, hang drywall, plow snow, plant shrubs, clean houses, or mow grass. I welcome immigrants to enter this country and handle these less desirable tasks with open arms.
Why is the government (taxpayers) subsidizing your lifestyle? Every other post you are crying about being broke and needing taxpayers to cover raising your kids.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:20 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
I grew up across the street from a winery. I visit on average two wineries every weekend. I would not pick grapes for anything less than $100 an hour. Nor would I flip burgers, hang drywall, plow snow, plant shrubs, clean houses, or mow grass. I welcome immigrants to enter this country and handle these less desirable tasks with open arms.
You sound pretty lazy bro.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I still get energy assistance and health care. I have to provide birth certificates, social security cards, picture id's, bank statements, daycare receipts, pay stubs and copies of Utility bills. I do not qualify unless I can provide everything. And that is actual fact.
Quote:
I grew up across the street from a winery. I visit on average two wineries every weekend I would not pick grapes for anything less than $100 an hour. Nor would I flip burgers, hang drywall, plow snow, plant shrubs, clean houses, or mow grass. I welcome immigrants to enter this country and handle these less desirable tasks with open arms.
Don't you think energy assistance and free/subsidized health care is intended for people who can't afford to visit two wineries every weekend? This is what is broken in the system.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
Heres another angle on illegal aliens. Assume there are 12 million here, residing.Every day, week, year they are here, like citizens, require 2 things: Goods and Services. Those 2 things cost money. So if we kick them all out many businesses would suffer. Like Pampers, Budweiser, police depts. would lay off people.

I have to laugh at them trying to show their illegal immigrant purchasing power by staying home. I love the part most that a in LA the traffic isn't so terrible. Like food for their kids, will just have to be bought tomorrow...........

Old 02-17-2017, 03:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I live in a mid sized city in Texas. This march had absolutely zero effect on my life.

Just reporting from my neck of the woods.
Didn't notice one bit as well. I don't think many participated in my area. This is a take your butt to work state.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:06 PM

381 posts, read 177,265 times
About 100 businesses were closed yesterday in Detroit in support and there was a lot of police presence in the downtown area. They were holding "Stop Deportation" signs. We discussed this at lunch and it's amazing how many people group all immigrants together instead of realizing the huge difference between legal and illegal

Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I hadn't watched the news so I had no idea this was planned and just found out about it Friday afternoon. I did not notice a bit of difference in my daily routine. Looks like they just showed us how little they are actually needed.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
There was an impact at some workplaces.
Quote:
After 18 employees at a Tennessee-based painting company skipped work this week to attend a pro-immigration rally, they received a brutal lesson about right-to-work laws they won’t soon forget.

According to KTNV-TV, 18 employees at Nashville’s Bradley Coatings were fired after they informed their supervisors on Wednesday they were missing work the next day to attend the nationwide protest, “A Day Without Immigrants.”

The protest sought to show the significance that immigrants play in the U.S. workforce while protesting President Donald Trump’s immigration policies.

However, on Thursday when the employees didn’t show up to work, they learned that they had been terminated.
After 18 employees skip work to attend immigration rally, they receive brutal lesson from their boss – TheBlaze

Quote:
They weren’t the only employees to understand the harsh realties of skipping work in a right-to-work state.
Twenty-one people were fired in Lexington, S.C., after they too skipped on work to attend the protest, according to WLTX-TV.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
As it should be. Actions have consequences as those workers just found out... They won't be getting unemployment any time soon either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies