Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. Obviously, I have sympathy for the family in this incident, but it is simply carnage out there by people under the influence. Indeed, the rise of 'text messaging' is leading to a spike in traffic accidents (particularly among younger drivers), whereas the accident rate had been going down for years.

My personal story: when I was a youth (early 70s), my girlfriend's mother was killed by a drunk driver. She was driving on a Native American reservation in New Mexico, when she was struck by a drunk Native American. For reasons I cannot fathom, her killer (for such he was) never served one single day in jail. Back then I was told that since the accident occurred on a reservation, normal state laws did not apply.

We must not lose sight of the bigger picture. It is good to protest the presence of illegals, and to condemn their criminal actions. But to claim, at least implicitly, that 'life would be good' if all illegals were gone, or that their absence would cause even a slight dip in the carnage that occurs everyday on our highways (38,300 deaths in 2015; the final number shall be more for 2016), is to have myopic vision.
The rate of fatal auto accidents related to DUI for Native Americans is higher than any other ethnic group.

Most states, and municipalities within, do not classify anything by immigration status so there is no factual way to determine a percentage of anything caused by illegal aliens.

One state, Wisconsin, treats an offender's first DUI offence as a traffic citation, not a crime. Pay your fine and you are good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This is what democrats support just so they can game the system to improve their chances in elections, and get more representation in congress.

Shameful.
^ BS.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked in 2005/6. A Republican POTUS granted amnesty and promised to secure the borders and crack down on employers who employ undocumented immigrants.

In the ensuing years, it did not matter who sat the oval or controlled the majority, the border was not secured nor was there a crack down on employers. E- Verify was launched as a pilot program in the late 90's. Since then, only a handful of states mandated it for all employers/ employees. Why is this? Why didn't the great state of Texas make e- Verify a state law? Who built all those homes , commercial and municipal developments during the housing bubble? Who continues to be employed in construction?

Bush 2 campaigned on Immigration Reform including amnesty, twice. It called for a fence, mandatory e- Verify and amnesty. His own party, in control of both chambers, could not cobble something together and so the can continued to be kicked.

The 700 mile Bush Wall was however erected. That wall contains miles of gaps to accommodate special interests, a university, country clubs, resorts, HOAs and private parties. Eminent Domain took longer and cost more than anyone projected. Initials offers were appealed as private land owners held out for bigger $.

Fast forward to the bipartisan Senate Committee's attempt to create non- partisan Immigration Reform and pathway to citizenship for non criminal illegal immigrants based on a criteria. The House declined to vote on it and protected themselves from being held responsible by their constituents for their vote.

The bipartisan Senate plan called for completing the wall, mandatory E- Verify, harsher consequences for failure to comply with e- Verify in addition to a pathway to citizenship.

30+ years of kicking the can has resulted in 11-12 million illegal immigrants residing in the US.

There is nothing remotely partisan about kicking the can for 30+ years. It's been the excuse used to rationalize doing nothing.

If either party had been serious about nipping illegal immigration in the bud, it would have led with E- Verify and harsh consequences for those who employ undocumented workers. No wall is high enough or patrols deep enough to prevent illegal immigration so long as US employers persist in hiring undocumented workers.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post

A family planning a funeral that could have been avoided plain and simple but for people inviting into our country an alien culture with which you obviously are in solidarity or you wouldn't be stretching the bounds of logic to ignore the loss of an American citizen for the cause.
I HAVE been part of planning such a funeral. Which is why I hate drunk drivers so much.

I can assure you that not one of us said "well, at least that ******* drunk was a legal resident, so that is some comfort".

(To be clear, I hated drunk drivers before that funeral too. Working in an intensive care unit will do that to you.)

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-22-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This is tragic. If they did not have a license then they likely did not have the proper insurance so what is the family to do?

I personally have almost been killed by an illegal alien driver who was towing a backhoe. They were speeding down a back road and hit a bump in the road which lifted the trailer off the hitch (improperly secured), which came directly at me. Had to take an evasive action which put me in a ditch and the trailer with backhoe missed me by less than a foot. Driver tried to get away but vehicle was ID'd by someone who witnessed it and they were caught within 15 minutes. Wake up in the middle of the night thinking about this sometimes. Police said the driver was illegal and had a fake drivers license/ID. The truck was not properly inspected nor properly insured. If it had been my daughter driving who had just received her license she likely wouldn't have had the experience to avoid the collision. I am 100% in favor of Trumps policies for this and other reasons.
Proper insurance?

An unlicensed ( never licensed or revoked) driver is 3X more likely to cause a deadly car accident. An unlicensed driver is unlikely to be insured for the obvious reason.

All but one state mandates minimum liability insurance which offers some semblance of protection to other people injured and/ or property damage. It does not offer any protection to the driver who caused the accident.

Indiana allows insured drivers to opt out of otherwise mandatory Uninsured Driver coverage if they do so in writing. If the now deceased driver in this incident ( OP link) had Uninsured Motorist insurance, it typically covers $25,000 for bodily injury and $10,000 for property damage.

It's unknown and no one business if the deceased carried Life Insurance.

Given the Go Fund Me thing, I am inclined to think he did not carry Life Insurance.

It's shameful anyone dies because another party chose to DUI.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRogue View Post
Your forgetting the drunk american,who caused deaths themselves.I love your hypocrisy
TOTALLY COOL TO BE AMERICAN AND DRUNK DRIVE
BUT IF YOUR AN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT OMG LETS DEPORT THEM!
DUI while white and known to celebrate Chistmas is ignored.

DUI while black, Hispanic ( legal or illegal) or Muslim suits an agenda.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What does 'Christian Missionary' have to do with anything?

Encourages some Christians to be more outraged than if the guy was of a minority faith or no faith.

Had he also been a veteran it would have been a double bubble.

It's shameful anyone is injured or dies because someone chose to DUI.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
What is it with callous people on here not able to express regret for this incident that could have been prevented with normal law enforcement as opposed to a policy of non-enforcement? What is it with callous people maintaining this guy would probably be dead anyway even if the illegal had not done it?

BTW no need to place 'illegal' in quotes. The word is needed to described her legal status which was not legally here, i.e. illegally here. No need for the 'undocumented' false moniker; the woman is documented. And illegal Placing the word in quotes is just your way of indicating solidarity with what is going on with this parallel culture invited to be here. The guy is dead because of this
And I think it's a horrible and tragic event. Go ahead and look at my history of posting on this thread if you want to expose me for defending the person's inexcusable behavior.

The guy is dead because someone drove drunk. The legality of that person's residency is totally irrelevant to these events.

You're hijacking this to make this about illegal immigration and it's gross.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Conversely, would you be posting this if this missionary had been killed by a white guy who was a citizen who did or did not have a license?

Because this person would be dead, no matter who was driving that car, all other variables being equal.

I do think it is a terrible tragedy when people are killed by drunk drivers and I think that people who drive under the influence should be punished, heavily if they harm or kill people.

As in, no more driver's license. Ever.
The fact remains that this person should not have even been in the country to commit the crime to begin with. Why is this so difficult for folks to understand? Yes, we could say that an impaired citizen who caused a similar accident should not have even been on the road to begin with. But, in this case, we have at least two strikes against the perp.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:50 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And I think it's a horrible and tragic event. Go ahead and look at my history of posting on this thread if you want to expose me for defending the person's inexcusable behavior.

The guy is dead because someone drove drunk. The legality of that person's residency is totally irrelevant to these events.

You're hijacking this to make this about illegal immigration and it's gross.
That's hogwash. The fact is that the guy, as an illegal immigrant, should have never been in the country to be able to commit the crime in the first place. That is the point.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Conversely, would you be posting this if this missionary had been killed by a white guy who was a citizen who did or did not have a license?

Because this person would be dead, no matter who was driving that car, all other variables being equal.

I do think it is a terrible tragedy when people are killed by drunk drivers and I think that people who drive under the influence should be punished, heavily if they harm or kill people.

As in, no more driver's license. Ever.
If this sad situation had been reversed would there be a headline " Drunk Christian Missionary Driver Kills illegal Immigrant" ?

Heck, there would be people applauding him- 1 less illegal immigrant and all that.

Too bad the states do not execute drunk drivers who kill people, regardless of their legal status, race, ethnicity or religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies