Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're not wrapping your head around the facts. Black women have much more access to PP's contraception services than White women just based on where PP's facilities are located: overwhelmingly in minority neighborhoods. So with all that access to contraception, why are Black women's abortion rates still 5 times higher than White women's abortion rates?

Why does access to more services yield a negative result among the minority population?
again you need to get educated about abortion who has them and why. the question should be why with availability BC do we still have unwanted pregnancy in any group. you can't compare numbers of abortion in a huge metropolitan city to that of a rural town.

I also take issue with your stats. Gruttmacher says different. white 39% blacks 28% 25% Hispanic. the only "research" solely devoted to blacks having more abortions than other groups come from anti choice groups who want to promote the false narrative that abortion is racist.

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...-united-states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:46 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
again you need to get educated about abortion who has them and why. the question should be why with availability BC do we still have unwanted pregnancy in any group.
That's what I'm asking you. With PP facilities being predominantly located in minority neighborhoods, why aren't Black women relying on contraception for family planning instead of resorting to abortion, which should always be a last resort given the known increased risk to the woman herself?

Why does PP giving the most access to contraception services to Black women yield a 5 times higher abortion rate among Black women?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I also take issue with your stats. Gruttmacher says different. white 39% blacks 28% 25% Hispanic. the only "research" solely devoted to blacks having more abortions than other groups come from anti choice groups who want to promote the false narrative that abortion is racist.

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...-united-states
I'm not sure I believe that data. The facts I have are from the CDC.

Nonetheless, you need to compare the Guttmacher statistics to the percent of each race/ethnicity in the general population. If you don't understand statistics, you're prime to be hoodwinked by manipulative propaganda false facts.

Let's break it down:

Whites are 61.6% of the population, and have 39% of the abortions.

Blacks are 13.3% of the population and have 28% of the abortions.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/

Recognize the problem yet?

Whites have an abortion rate that is 0.63 (39/61.6) times what would be expected, given their percent of the population.

For Blacks, that same rate is 2.1 (28/13.3).

2.1/0.63 = 3.3.

So, again, my question to you is with PP facilities being predominantly located in minority neighborhoods, why aren't Black women relying on contraception for family planning instead of resorting to abortion, which should always be a last resort given the known increased risk to the woman herself?

Why does PP giving the most access to contraception services to Black women yield a several times higher abortion rate among Black women?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Because the rhythm method doesn't work, and because people of color are subjected to institutional racism so their job opportunities are not equal so they priotize funds for what they need here and now.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I believe that data. The facts I have are from the CDC.

Nonetheless, you need to compare the Guttmacher statistics to the percent of each race/ethnicity in the general population. If you don't understand statistics, you're prime to be hoodwinked by manipulative propaganda false facts.

Let's break it down:

Whites are 61.6% of the population, and have 39% of the abortions.

Blacks are 13.3% of the population and have 28% of the abortions.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/

Recognize the problem yet?

Whites have an abortion rate that is 0.63 (39/61.6) times what would be expected, given their percent of the population.

For Blacks, that same rate is 2.1 (28/13.3).

2.1/0.63 = 3.3.

So, again, my question to you is with PP facilities being predominantly located in minority neighborhoods, why aren't Black women relying on contraception for family planning instead of resorting to abortion, which should always be a last resort given the known increased risk to the woman herself?

Why does PP giving the most access to contraception services to Black women yield a several times higher abortion rate among Black women?

the problem is you wanting to frame abortion as a racist tool targeting the black women. again get to know why women of any race have abortions. it doesn't matter what race a percentage of women get pregnant while using birth control. your figures are suspect and don't take into account the reasons why.

as an aside I could care less what percentage, or how many abortions take place. only that women have legal and safe access to abortion. abortion rates are at the lowest because of places like PP and the services they do.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
the problem is you wanting to frame abortion as a racist tool targeting the black women.
It is. Wouldn't it be much better for their health if they used contraception for family planning, instead? Since PP provides both contraception and abortion services, why are Black women over-using (comparatively) abortion for their family planning needs?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
It is. Wouldn't it be much better for their health if they used contraception for family planning, instead? Since PP provides both contraception and abortion services, why are Black women over-using (comparatively) abortion for their family planning needs?
abortion is safe than giving birth. "over using comparatively" is a judgment call. I don't make them on a woman's choices. her life her choice.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
abortion is safe than giving birth.
And contraception is safer AND less expensive than abortion.
Quote:
"over using comparatively" is a judgment call.
No, it's mathematically and statistically accurate. I explained how and why.

Since PP provides both contraception and abortion services, why are Black women over-using (comparatively) abortion for their family planning needs, at their own greater risk?

Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
And contraception is safer AND less expensive than abortion. No, it's mathematically and statistically accurate. I explained how and why.

Since PP provides both contraception and abortion services, why are Black women over-using (comparatively) abortion for their family planning needs, at their own greater risk?
I don't think black women or any other woman is over using abortion. the risks with abortion are minimal.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
I guess you will need to poll a large sample of black women to find out. Your issue is not caused by PP, it is caused by the black women eschewing birth control and opting for a cycle of pregnancy and abortion instead even when the birth control is readily available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies