Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM

29,974 posts, read 11,560,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing that happen - but I think the agriculture lobbies are too powerful to let that happen.

It could be levied on a local or state level not necessarily from Washington. But what could happen with federal help is restrict food stamp recipients from buying products with added sugar or sugar itself. Pretty easy to do since most use EBT type cards that already restrict cigarettes and booze from purchase. 43 million people would be forced to eat better without a tax or much added regulation. And since food stamp recipients are also likely to get government paid medical care there would be a direct reduction in medical costs paid by tax payers.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:18 AM

8,063 posts, read 3,396,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
It could be levied on a local or state level not necessarily from Washington. But what could happen with federal help is restrict food stamp recipients from buying products with added sugar or sugar itself. Pretty easy to do since most use EBT type cards that already restrict cigarettes and booze from purchase. 43 million people would be forced to eat better without a tax or much added regulation. And since food stamp recipients are also likely to get government paid medical care there would be a direct reduction in medical costs paid by tax payers.
Even canned fruit has either fake or real sugar in it. That would ban just about everything. Even sandwich meat has sugar in it.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:54 AM

29,974 posts, read 11,560,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Even canned fruit has either fake or real sugar in it. That would ban just about everything. Even sandwich meat has sugar in it.
How about fresh fruits an vegetables or fresh meats? Oatmeal? Preparing food from scratch instead of popping something into the microwave?

I do agree almost all processed foods contain added sugar. There would have to be a cutoff point where something with a little sugar would be acceptable like sandwich meat.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM

8,881 posts, read 6,190,556 times
Would high fructose corn syrup still be cheaper than natural cane sugar if corn growers did not receive subsidies from the federal government?

Old 05-28-2017, 02:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,403,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, many people did not like her, nor is she a qualified nutritionist or anything. So people thought it was merely her personal opinion that she tried to force on them.
If people thought that it would have been their favorite commentators who drove home that idea. Commentators who are well paid and who have an agenda.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I was watching the news a couple of days ago, they showed footage of the dam in California and the evacuation. And it was impossible not to notice the large number of obese people. Made me wonder, why is there no war on sugar? We have wars on drugs and terrorism, but compared to the costs obesity and resulting conditions cause for the healthcare system, drugs and terrorism are peanuts.

Why are there no clear warnings, like for instance, Don't drink cola! Nobody seems to have a problem with Don't smoke! or Don't take drugs! Are politicians and agencies paid by Coke, Pepsi etc.?

I have seen several documentaries on sugar over the years, the amounts of it people in the West consume are crazy.

Shouldn't public health be far more important than any business profits?

There's too much money made by producing sugar and other unhealthy food items. The lobby behind these things provides politicians with huge payoffs for ignoring the problems they cause. People are on their own and will have to think for themselves on issues like this. Fat chance of that happening for a lot of them, when you contemplate that 62 million of these geniuses voted for Trump.

I know many people, who were once lean, athletic and fit, but are now fat and flabby. They know how to live and eat properly, but they choose not to. They need motivation and it doesn't seem forthcoming from within and I'm not able to be much of a good influence, either. As long as these drinks and foods are legal to sell, they will be consumed at high levels. But banning them would be about as effective as Prohibition was for alcohol.

Those of us who value our health and vigor will enjoy much better lives, without the expensive care that these others require. There is definitely a reward for practicing good habits.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:03 PM

8,881 posts, read 6,190,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's too much money made by producing sugar and other unhealthy food items. The lobby behind these things provides politicians with huge payoffs for ignoring the problems they cause. People are on their own and will have to think for themselves on issues like this. Fat chance of that happening for a lot of them, when you contemplate that 62 million of these geniuses voted for Trump.

I know many people, who were once lean, athletic and fit, but are now fat and flabby. They know how to live and eat properly, but they choose not to. They need motivation and it doesn't seem forthcoming from within and I'm not able to be much of a good influence, either. As long as these drinks and foods are legal to sell, they will be consumed at high levels. But banning them would be about as effective as Prohibition was for alcohol.

Those of us who value our health and vigor will enjoy much better lives, without the expensive care that these others require. There is definitely a reward for practicing good habits.
^^^This is why I don't like having to contribute to other people's healthcare. I am fine with helping out people who fall ill through no fault of their own but I loathe the idea of paying for the healthcare of people who willingly eat and drink the junk.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,783,949 times
This is a very good article on the sugar barons.

This is a good example of billionaires feeding Congress with money to protect their interests at the expense of your health and pocket book.

One fascinating fact in the article is how employment would go up in the US if the subsidies were cut.

Firms import many high sugar foods so they can avoid sugar tax on raw sugar.

https://promarket.org/sugar-industry...a-politicians/

Old 05-28-2017, 04:35 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,826,909 times
Lost 15 pounds since I started limiting sugar. I needed no government prodding to take such action.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:36 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,783,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
^^^This is why I don't like having to contribute to other people's healthcare. I am fine with helping out people who fall ill through no fault of their own but I loathe the idea of paying for the healthcare of people who willingly eat and drink the junk.
I agree which is why the price of health care should be tied to factors within a person's control and not their age.

People applying for medical insurance should receive a health test including weight, cardiovascular fitness, levels of drugs in their system including nicotine and caffeine, and whether they drink or not.

Further if they walk into an all you can eat buffet restaurant they should pay a direct cost for both their meal and medical expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies