Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times

Advertisements

The days of EPA overreach is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,882,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
There is no such thing as a climate scientist
Climate change research isn't a thing?

Uh...what?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,617,148 times
Some people just are not old enough to remember what it was like before regulations. cough cough

Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 PM

1,400 posts, read 859,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I have climate scientist friends, and they're very fearful that their work won't be preserved - they're worried about their jobs, of course, but they're actually more worried that their data and past work will just be wiped away. Basically like what they did never even happened.

That is depressingly sad that this is where we are in regards to science policy.

This Presidency is going to set us back in many scientific fields, and that's not a good thing (no matter how people who don't understand or care about the science want to spin it).
I'm not sure that your friends jobs are any more important than anyone else's job. If their skill set is actually in demand, then they shouldn't have trouble finding work. If not, they may have to work fast food for a while. Either way, its not the end of the world.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The days of EPA overreach is over.
"Overreach" - hope you don't mind polluted air and water. Or the decimation of our protected lands (which are serving a purpose...preservation is a purpose).

Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
I'm not sure that your friends jobs are any more important than anyone else's job. If their skill set is actually in demand, then they shouldn't have trouble finding work. If not, they may have to work fast food for a while. Either way, its not the end of the world.
Did you read my post? Because it does not seem like you did...

The issue isn't their job, per se - the issue is that they're worried that their work will be wiped away like it didn't even happen. They're worried they will be silenced by people who have an agenda against science (or at least, science that upsets their worldview or offers data and conclusions that prevent them from making lots of money).

This is so depressingly sad that we have scientists concerned about this kind of thing. We're not the USSR or China.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
FYI, Trump supporters do not hate clean air, clean water & clean soil? They hate fanatical tree huggers!!!
Pruitt hates clean air, water, etc. He's sued the EPA multiple times to try to enable big industry to poison us to early graves for higher profits. He's disgusting and has no business heading the EPA.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:35 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Did you read my post? Because it does not seem you did...

The issue isn't their job, per se - the issue is that they're worried that their work will be wiped away like it didn't even happen. They're worried they will be silenced by people who have an agenda against science (or at least, science that upsets their worldview or offers data and conclusions that prevent them from making lots of money).

This is so depressingly sad that we have scientists concerned about this kind of thing. We're not the USSR or China.
It's rather sad but there's a big swath of this country where education, science, and so forth is hated and that part of the population had a lot to do with Trump becoming president. Trump is going to set this country back decades.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:39 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,913,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Some people just are not old enough to remember what it was like before regulations. cough cough
I sure remember what it was like. I'm glad I live in California, at least we will keep fighting the good fight until Trump is gone.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,616,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarmy View Post
What do Trump supporters hate about clean air, clean water & clean soil?

I am completely baffled by this choice of nominee.
They are like wimpy. They prefer a hamburger TODAY for free but are fine seeing millions suffer and die sometime later for that free burger.

The easiest way to understand the current right wing in the USA is to take everything at it's complete opposite.

We have a Dept of Energy that is in charge of our Nuclear Weapons research and production. All of the heads of it have been the top physicists and engineers in the field.

Trump selects Rick Perry - a guy who doesn't know a nuke from a cuke and who didn't even know what the agency did.

You really couldn't make this stuff up. It's like appointing Forest Gump to design the Space Shuttle.

A lot of this is based on the large amounts of uneducated people who have in this country (some say we purposely have this type of populace as educated people...well, they know things)...to them the fact that an airplane flies....well, it's just magic. It wasn't the millions of hours of sweat and thinking and testing, etc. which make it happen.

When it comes to the EPA, the corporations that control Trump (fossil fuel, especially) can make additional profit by poisoning the air, water and land around us. Since most of these people have multiple houses on the beachfront or similar they won't be the ones dying en masse from the extra pollution. It will be others who die and suffer - usually 10-20+ years into the future.

I kid you knot when I state that these are very sick people. You could use the word evil. When we were kids we often played the game "what if you were in a booth and there was a button and if you pushed it the entire city would blow up - all except you and your family. The other button would just blow up you and your family and everyone else would survive".

These people have chosen the first. They feel that a couple cents per share or an extra few billion for someone already worth 40 billion...is worth the suffering of millions.

It's a fairly simple calculation. We know that current air pollution specifically makes "x" fewer die and suffer - and there is an economic calculation they use. These guys have thrown away the calculator and are running government "like a business" - but not like you and I would run a business. They are running it like a car paint shop that dumps all their solvents into the creek at the edge of the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies