Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times

Advertisements

UW at Madison: Helping the mediocre Negro become less mediocre.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,767 times
Sure. As long as they maintain a minimum GPA

Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
The group said consideration of ACT and SAT scores in applications upholds "white supremacy" because it restricts opportunities for the poor.

In other words, the guilt ridden, self-loathing, white liberal students at UWM are saying that black students are too stupid to gain entry based on merit alone....

Pffft, and they say Republicans are the racist ones.

Are black people ok with this characterization of themselves or the suggestion that they need a Great White Savior to come in and rescue them because they can't do it on their own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I can tell no black people were involved in the idea lol. It is always some non-black person in a leadership position that likes to insinuate that blacks are inferior and need their "saving."
Exactly....

Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
I can tell no black people were involved in the idea lol. It is always some non-black person in a leadership position that likes to insinuate that blacks are inferior and need their "saving."

But FWIW, I considered attending the University of Wisconsin for graduate school. I didn't because I got a better scholarship offer and because I felt that Madison area public schools were not a good place for my son - a black male based on my review of the educational situation there in the state of Wisconsin and in the Madison area. I was looking at moving to the Midwest but took Madison off the table based on Wisconsin educational outcomes of black male students.

Madison and other Wisconsin cities do a very poor job of educating black students and statistical information I saw showed evidence of too much racial bias.

They also have to realize the fact that Wisconsin is a very cold state. More black Americans are moving to warmer climates and want to get away from cold winters. I agree with the Chinese student in that they should have a scholarship for black American students with minimum qualifications and an application process if they want to attract more students. Or they can have a scholarship for the top students at particular urban schools if they want inner city students to have the opportunity to attend their institution. I know Ohio State here in Ohio has a similar program in all the major urban centers in Ohio. But with that program students have to maintain a 3.30 GPA and go through a college readiness program in order to be provided and to keep the scholarship. Not sure why anyone besides a certain kind of liberal would think that a "blacks should go to school for free" policy would be seen as anything other than offensive to most education oriented black people.
The bolded is a form of soft racism. It happens a lot with the typical white liberal guilt factor. Black folks don't need saving. They need to handle their business just like any other group. Plenty of poor white trash in the world need saving, but again, they need to handle their business.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Less than 20 posts - amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Wisconsin students group demands free tuition for black students | Fox News I'd be fine with this if it is those students and their parents who will be the ones paying for it
Where are all of the resident posters? I thought this thread would be 1,000 strong by the time I got home an logged on to CD. Isn't this what the most of the resident right-wing posters say about Blacks? That we all want everything FREE? Here is your chance to make your point. Boy Hannity was hoppin' mad about it. Called them morons, thugs, and I'm sure would have said the N-word publicly if it wouldn't cause a huge stink because of who he is.

I laughed upon hearing these "demands". They are young and it sounds impressive to make these specific demands from a systematic racism society or institution. However, I think their time would be better spent considering an HBCU (Historically Black College or University) for their education at least as an undergrad and attend a PWI (Predominately White Institution) for grad school (should they decide to pursue a grad degree). A lot of the issues they complain about at PWI (for example, cultural isolation, being looked at as if they don't belong there) wouldn't be a problem for them at a HBCU.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,981 times
I'm sure this will work.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Setting them up for failure

Quote:

But FWIW, I considered attending the University of Wisconsin for graduate school. I didn't because I got a better scholarship offer and because I felt that Madison area public schools were not a good place for my son - a black male based on my review of the educational situation there in the state of Wisconsin and in the Madison area. I was looking at moving to the Midwest but took Madison off the table based on Wisconsin educational outcomes of black male students.

Madison and other Wisconsin cities do a very poor job of educating black students and statistical information I saw showed evidence of too much racial bias.

They also have to realize the fact that Wisconsin is a very cold state. More black Americans are moving to warmer climates and want to get away from cold winters. I agree with the Chinese student in that they should have a scholarship for black American students with minimum qualifications and an application process if they want to attract more students. Or they can have a scholarship for the top students at particular urban schools if they want inner city students to have the opportunity to attend their institution. I know Ohio State here in Ohio has a similar program in all the major urban centers in Ohio. But with that program students have to maintain a 3.30 GPA and go through a college readiness program in order to be provided and to keep the scholarship. Not sure why anyone besides a certain kind of liberal would think that a "blacks should go to school for free" policy would be seen as anything other than offensive to most education oriented black people.
I thought this was the notion of some liberal group too but from what I heard of this story later today, this idea was the brainchild of a Black Student group on the campus of UW-Madison. Supposedly, they're DEMANDING (unless it's fake news) free tuition (FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIPS) and no requirements for ACT or SAT scores for all Black students (I presume regardless of the student's financial background).

No standards and open the doors to everybody Black. This sounds like someone's idyllic solution to counter the past wrongs. However, it creates a need for a whole new system to accept any student whose academic background is not similar to or is far behind the rest of the students who had to pass certain standards to get in. That creates a host of problems for the students, who passed no standards, and the professor because professors are responsible for diseminating a certain amount of information to the students within the semester or quarter.

As a result, most professors teach on a level to their B average students but hard professor teach gearted to the A average students. The rest of the students are on their own and most barely survive - they're happy just to pass the course with a C. Where does this leave the students who are lower in academics because they were held to no standards in education?

I don't fault the colleges but instead the parents first and foremost if their children were held to no standards in education. I fault public schools second but I know their hands are sometimes tied due to Political Correctness, parents (drug users, gang banger, or just apathetic) passing the blame, and no one being held accountable in the school or home except the teacher whose position has been turned into a baby-sitter/psychiatric ward direct-care worker for disruptive, emotional disturbed children without home training so they're unable or don't have time to teach the children who are in class to learn.

I know of at least a couple of HBCUs that are accustomed to dealing with students from academically poor backgrounds. They offer remedial courses to those type of students. These two HBCUs in particular go above and beyond to try and help the students to get on track and graduate. Higher tier schools, whether HBCUs or PWIs do not and will not, understandably so. It would lower their image and ranking of being academically strong and rigorous.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,135,210 times
I find the proposal intellectually horrifying. The notion requires the use of unjust and vicarious conviction to extract a reward and then repackage it in the form of dehumanizing racism prior to its delivery. Grotesque.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
perhaps its time to again advertise the united negro college fund? you know the scholarship fund designed to put black students through college? oh thats right they actually have standards that possible students have to meet, just like the universities do. what a concept, demand that students meet a minimum standard to get into college, even with a scholarship.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
In other words, the guilt ridden, self-loathing, white liberal students at UWM are saying that black students are too stupid to gain entry based on merit alone....

Pffft, and they say Republicans are the racist ones.

Are black people ok with this characterization of themselves or the suggestion that they need a Great White Savior to come in and rescue them because they can't do it on their own?
Exactly....
So in other words, "You're the real racists!"

Why do conservatives continue playing this silly game? Denying reality doesn't work any better for you than it does for liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies