Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
This question only goes to the Anti-Trumpers on this forum. If Trump does get impeached for his connection with Russia. Would you be okay with Mike Pence as President for the next couple of years.

Compared to Trump. Pence seems to be better spoken and has a better temperament. But he's a Christian Right ideologue who would be awful for LGBT and Pro Choice women. It's like picking Chaotic vs Lawful Evil at this point.
Probably.

One good thing about Pence for the left is that he basically guarantees a Republican loss in 2020.

However, if Trump runs for re-election, then the GOP most likely retain control.

The white working class Trumpettes who showed up in droves to vote for Trump last November ain't showing up the polls to vote for a pro-establishment free trader in Mike Pence. They would have rebuked this guy in the primaries if he ran. Add to the fact that Pence has very little charm outside of the GOP establishment/evangelical base, if the Democrats manage to nominate some halfway decent populist, then the fate is sealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
I found this thread both ironic and germane by the end of the day today.

Pence is effectively already the president. Bannon makes ideological decisions in the WH and Pence is doing the heavy lifting in Europe with foreign leaders.

What is our so-called president doing? Partying in Florida without a care in the world, performing as a hybrid of Hitler and Evita.

I'm just wondering how long the congress and the majority of the country are going to let this charade go on pretending Trump is the president? This is becoming quite laughable. And also absolutely disgusting that this is what this buffoon has done to our country and government.

Canada is now overloaded with refugees from the US. This is not America. Trump has turned the USA into a sham.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'd rather have Pence as president than Trump. He seems to be much more stable and diplomatic.

Do I agree with him on social issues? No. But I prioritize not getting into wars. I have more trust in him not picking fights with leaders of other countries and unnecessarily burning bridges.
I second this. ▲

Old 02-18-2017, 09:31 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
This question only goes to the Anti-Trumpers on this forum. If Trump does get impeached for his connection with Russia. Would you be okay with Mike Pence as President for the next couple of years.

Compared to Trump. Pence seems to be better spoken and has a better temperament. But he's a Christian Right ideologue who would be awful for LGBT and Pro Choice women. It's like picking Chaotic vs Lawful Evil at this point.
This is a very good question.

My main issue with Mike Pence is his position on gay rights. I don't believe the government should be involved in the issue of marriage and I'm personally all for same-sex marriage. Mike Pence believes otherwise.

With that said, I do think on economic & fiscal issues, he is great. He voted against big government programs proposed by George W. Bush, he cut taxes in Indiana, and he has been a strong supporter of NAFTA.

The answer to your question is, I am not sure I could support Mike Pence in a GOP primary. But I would probably vote for him in a general election because unlike Trump, he's better than what the Democrats offer the nation.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I prefer Trump and all of the chaos he brings with him as it will slow down Republicans and their agendas.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:

He at least knows how government works and won't get us in nuclear war over twitter and constantly enrich himself with taxpayer money, so in that sense, yeah he's better than Trump.

But I still consider him an evil, homophobic religious zealot so he'll be horrible.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I prefer Trump and all of the chaos he brings with him as it will slow down Republicans and their agendas.
Interesting idea though it can go both ways.

The Dump can't get his act together and push the Republican agenda if he's so busy going on ego therapy weekend sessions, micro-managing the hiring process and doing all the unpresidential stuff he has been doing lately.

However, he has also proven that he doesn't read the EOs but just likes to sign them and show off that he did something like some proud school kid. Republicans can probably have a field day pushing whatever they want through 'cus the Dump just is that inexperienced and ignorant.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No they won't.

Liberals will start shrieking about religion.
Unless it's Islam.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:56 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
This question is just another iteration of the two-evils fallacy. Like Hillary, Pence is a comparatively polished turd. Also like Hillary, what lies beneath Pence's surface is far more insidious.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:54 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
This question is just another iteration of the two-evils fallacy. Like Hillary, Pence is a comparatively polished turd. Also like Hillary, what lies beneath Pence's surface is far more insidious.
This is why he's so dangerous. To choose between these two is like choosing to die from a snake bite or from falling off a bridge.....how about just split the country in two? I have no problem calling many folks foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies