Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:23 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Can you list the jobs Americans don't want? Do they include construction? Do they include housecleaning? My parents as Americans took these jobs happily for the first few years of their employment. My mom cleaned hotel room in her early 20s and my dad worked construction. But now Jose and Maria and Hector will take them with a fake SSN for a few dollars an hour less.
Well... The list of things I'd never do
1. Scrub toilets.
2. Play with someone else's septic system.
3. Play with garbage.
4. Crash test unibody cars.
5. Test bullet proof vests.
6. Swap fuel rods in a reactor.
7. Scraping up road kill.
8. Sample food for world leaders.
9. Taste test Flint MI water.
10. Sit at a desk all day.

Thought about being an elevator operator... That has a lot of ups and downs though...
Thought about being a proctologist... But I'd be surrounded by A-Holes all day...
Thought about being a gynecologist... But I fear tunnel vision setting in at 40...
Thought about being a firefighter... But I was kicked out for bringing a bag of marshmallows with me...

May have to apply to Boeing to test air plane windshields launch chickens out of air cannons at windshields and jet turbines...

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 12:57 AM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Trump hasn't mentioned automation once since he began running for president. Why is that?

Old 02-19-2017, 02:21 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Well... The list of things I'd never do
1. Scrub toilets.
2. Play with someone else's septic system.
3. Play with garbage.
4. Crash test unibody cars.
5. Test bullet proof vests.
6. Swap fuel rods in a reactor.
7. Scraping up road kill.
8. Sample food for world leaders.
9. Taste test Flint MI water.
10. Sit at a desk all day.

The question is...... would you let your family starve before doing these jobs or would you expect someone else to pay for you and your's because you'd "never" do them?

Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Can you list the jobs Americans don't want? Do they include construction? Do they include housecleaning? My parents as Americans took these jobs happily for the first few years of their employment. My mom cleaned hotel room in her early 20s and my dad worked construction. But now Jose and Maria and Hector will take them with a fake SSN for a few dollars an hour less.
Sure, Felix.
Happy to oblige.

-anything to do with animal processing.
1. butchering
2. handling the offal (the guts, etc.)
3. rendering the fats
4. collecting and processing the hair
5. skinning and tanning the hides.
6. moving it all around to where it should go.
7. feeding the critters we eat.
8. cleaning up their wastes.
9. killing their young.
10. disposing of their bodies, other than eating them.
11. I could go on, but you get the point.

- anything to do with nuclear energy electrical generation
1. working anywhere around where it's located
2. working inside any building that produces it
3. working around anywhere its wastes exist and are known
4. going into the related engineering field
5. transporting the fuel rods
6. cleaning the transports
7. I could go on, but you get the point.

- anything that has to do with agriculture
1. preparing the fields
2. seeding the crops
3. tending the crops
4. harvesting the crops
5. storing the crops
6. processing the crops
7. I could go on, but you get the point.

- anything that has to do with human waste
1. that says it all. You get the point.

And all are just for starters. Everything on the lists above are jobs most Americans simply will never consider doing as a job. They either know nothing at all about the work, and don't want to learn how to do it, or they are afraid of it, or both.

There are still many Americans who do all of the above, but their replacements aren't coming in the numbers needed to sustain our present level of need.

The above were just the first items that came to mind. With a bit of thought, I could come up with many more.

It is not a question of Americans not wanting jobs that are done by robotics or immigrants. There are many who do. And they find that work, and are good at doing it.

The real question is why are Americans not meeting the employment demands of those jobs?

Chickens are killed robotically now because the chicken industry couldn't find enough people who wanted a career of killing one chicken after another all day long, day after day. They're gutted and cleaned by machines for the same reason, their feathers are plucked, gathered, cleaned and collected by machines, and was once all done by humans.

Humans still cut them up, put the parts on plastic trays, wrap the trays, and move the trays around, but those folks aren't white Americans. They are much more likely to be brown and speaking Spanish.

But we all eat a lot more chicken than our forefathers ate, and preparing a chicken for the skillet was something every kid above the age of 8 used to do as a routine chore.

The fact is, brown folks who speak Spanish still consider killing a chicken and cleaning it, getting ready for the skillet, a routine chore. So do folks from lots of places all round the world. That some white Americans do too means nothing, unless you want only white Americans to do that work so you don't have to.

If that's what you want, you had better lose your taste for chicken. And everything else you eat, because white Americans eat more than they know how to grow, harvest, and process. America was once 60% farmers, back when we had 1/3 the population. Agriculture is now done by 6% of us, and white folks do not make up the majority of that 6%.

They haven't for going on 50 years now, but our nation isn't skinnier than it once was. That 6% is keeping us eating by using increasingly sophisticated machines, including robots, and immigrants. If the machines were banned, and the immigrants run off, we couldn't train enough people fast enough to prevent a lot of starvation right now.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2017 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 05:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

How many robots have you seen in your hometown, doing work that displaced lots and lots of people?
The technology that will allow them to do any job is just coming onto the market now, it's what allows the cars that Uber deployed in Pittsburgh to drive themselves on Pittsburgh streets. It will rapidly advance over the next two decades and will be quite common by then.

These machines do not operate like the computer on your desk. They use reasoning, logic and can learn.... in other words they "think". If you ask the question "What is the color of Dorothy's shoes?" any kid could answer this as long as they are familiar with the story, that requires intelligence. If you were to ask a regular computer this question it will look up in it's database the answer. If that information has not been imputed by human it does not know the answer, the accuracy of it's answer is based on whatever whatever the human has given it. Since this question does not contain enough information to identify exactly who Dorothy is it becomes impossible for a regular computer to answer in any event.

IBM's Watson does not operate like that, it will search the vast amount of raw knowledge stored in it's database to find references to shoes and Dorothy. This is difficult question to answer but it could take a good guess. What is important to note is it could be wrong.

If you want a basic understanding of this technology watch this video on IBM's Watson. Pay particular attention to where they discuss the letter A. In a standard computer you are going to tell it this is an A, show it another A, then another. Giving it an example of every A known to man is an impossible task so it can only identify whatever A's you have given it. With Watson you feed it a few hundred examples and from those examples it is programmed to identify A's it has never seen. This may sound trivial to some people but it's not, being able to identify an A you have never seen before is what makes the human brain so complex and difficult to duplicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4uWpLDGy-c

That video is from more than 5 years ago, Watson is currently being deployed in the medical field. It's a doctor that can know everything.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...o-14-hospitals

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-19-2017 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 05:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

And all are just for starters. Everything on the lists above are jobs most Americans simply will never consider doing as a job. They either know nothing at all about the work, and don't want to learn how to do it, or they are afraid of it, or both.
Felix, somebody has to do those jobs and they will be filled. Who wants to be on a fishing boat working in miserable conditions constantly for a few weeks straight? No one, but if you offer them $30K you're going to have a line out the door of applicants. When jobs go unfilled the wages necessarily rise and will continue to rise until somebody takes the job or it's replaced with automation.

Quote:
The real question is why are Americans not meeting the employment demands of those jobs?
Because they aren't going to accept what the illegal immigrant is getting paid.

Quote:
Chickens are killed robotically now because the chicken industry couldn't find enough people who wanted a career of killing one chicken after another all day long, day after day.
What they couldn't find is someone willing to kill chickens all day long for paltry pay.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
This article is appropriate and timely for this thread. For me personally, I make coffee at home because it's cheaper and better (regular coffee is way too strong), and I'd be creeped out bring served by a robot. However, I also have trouble with those self-checkout machines at the market, so obviously this technology isn't for me! The number of jobs that will be lost to robotic automation is rather scary, especially because the U.S. has become such a service economy as opposed to a manufacturing one.

San Francisco loves tech and fancy coffee. So of course it has barista robots - LA Times

Old 02-19-2017, 06:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:

But at the same time, I keep hearing about how we need more and more immigrants to work in the US. I just wonder why we need more people to work, when we don't need people to work.
Welcome to the broken logic of the leftists, liberals, & Democrats.

It becomes clear when you understand, they hate and loath working class America.

It's also why they lost the election, bigly.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 AM

142 posts, read 103,605 times
Another BS leftist argument.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I will supplement Banjomike's excellent examples: replacing roofs. Even during the height of the recent "Great Recession" we had to have our roof replaced (twice). Each time the workers were Mexican, probably illegals. In prior decades of roof replacing we had the same type of folk doing the work. Yet, when I looked it up last year (and wrote about herein) the average roofer makes darn good money (if I recall, the national average can be some $45,000 per year).

Last summer, we had our foundation repaired: a vastly dirty job requiring men with shovels. All Mexican.

When I was a youth (early 1970s), I had a very, very short stint as a swimming pool building. I was one of the very few white men on the job. While a machine did the main digging, we did the final digging, and then installed those iron rods to prepare for the concrete. It was hot, dirty work.

One still sees Mexicans doing most yard work here in North Texas.

For a time I lived close to a chicken processing plant in East Texas (Pilgrim's Pride, named after the owner, Bo Pilgrim). I got to know him when we both appeared in a community play (in Pittsburg, Texas; Bo's family were one of the Founding Families), and he, strong Reagan Republican as he was (this in the early 1980s) nevertheless defended (not to me, but to others) the use of illegals, saying he would have to shut down otherwise.

I have written before that my mother's family, whom used to own and operate an iron and steel foundry (where I also worked for some six months), was heavily reliant on Mexican workers. Even in the 1950s, 60s and 70s (I did my stint in 1974) ICE would appear every couple of years and haul the workers away; the plant would shut down, and my grandfather (and after him his son, my uncle) would wait until enough Mexicans could be hired to restart the plant, despite newspaper ads advertising the work. I know for a fact that the workers were paid the same as any white man would have been.

It does seem, when one reads the history of past civilizations, that the 'ruling party' often relies upon 'cheap labor' for the dirty jobs. In Roman times, it was 'slaves' (note that a Roman slave had considerably more rights than the African-American slaves of or history); same for the ancient Greeks.

It is regrettable, but one cannot deny that many (not all, obviously; I am a shining example) Americans simply will not do such work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies