Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The attacks on Trump by the Left on this Sweden thing is proof that pure hatred is clouding their ability to understand context.
OK, then let's examine that "context", shall we? Just because Trump says something (or..."meant" something), that doesn't make it true.

Trump lied - he said something that wasn't true. Whatever, he does this all of the time...which isn't good, but let's move on.

But let's examine what he "meant" (I think...that "Sweden is a disaster encountering a huge crime wave related to refugees", but correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a mind reader (and apparently that's what you have to be nowadays to understand what the hell he's talking about)):

Factcheck.org: Trump Exaggerates Swedish Crime
Quote:
Swedish authorities and criminologists say President Donald Trump is exaggerating crime in Sweden as a result of its liberal policy of accepting refugees from Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.

Statistics show there has been an uptick in some crime categories since the country took in 160,000 asylum-seekers in 2015. But experts said there is no evidence of a major crime wave.
Quote:
While there has been an uptick in some crime categories, government statistics from Sweden do not corroborate the claim of a major crime wave due to immigrants.

According to the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention (BrÃ¥), lethal violence (murder, manslaughter and assault that results in death) totaled 112 victims in 2015. That’s up by 25 (a sizable increase) from 2014, but it’s about the same as the number in 2007, which was 111 victims.

“In a long-term perspective, ever since the 1990’s when BrÃ¥ started the measurements, the trend shows that lethal violence is declining,” the website says.

The group’s latest Swedish Crime survey for 2016 found that 13.3 percent stated that during the course of 2015, they were exposed to offenses that included assault, threats, sexual offenses, robbery, fraud or harassment.

“This is an increase as compared with the preceding year (in 2014 the percentage was 11.3%), but is approximately the same level as in 2005,” the report states. “When compared with 2014, the increase was greatest for threats, sexual offences, and harassment. The results from coming years will show whether the increase for the most recent year is the beginning of a new trend, or a temporary deviation from an otherwise relatively stable level.”

There was also a slight increase in the perception of crime, as the percentage of people with “great concern about crime in society” increased from 22 percent in 2015 to 25 percent in 2016. That’s still down from 29 percent in 2006. The survey also found that the percentage of people “anxious about being a victim of an attack or assault has increased from 11 per cent in 2015 to 15 per cent in 2016, which is the same level as in 2006.”
Quote:
Henrik Selin, head of the Department for Intercultural Dialogue at the Swedish Institute, told us the surge of asylum seekers in 2015 has created challenges for Sweden, but he said reports from right-leaning media about a surge of immigrant crime have been “highly exaggerated.”

“So many things are being claimed,” Selin said. “If you look at the facts, there is nothing to support the claim that the crime rate took off after the 160,000 came in 2015.”

Crime has generally been trending down for the last decade, but there was a small uptick last year, he said. While it’s true that immigrants have been over-represented among those committing crimes — particularly in some suburban communities heavily populated by immigrants, he said — the issue of crime and immigration is complex. Upon closer examination, Selin said, researchers have found that the crime is more closely associated with factors like joblessness, poverty and exclusion from society. “It is not clear that immigrants are susceptible to committing such crimes,” he said.

Former US ambassador to Sweden disputes Trump's claims of refugee threat - CNNPolitics.com
Quote:
"The crime rate has not skyrocketed," Azita Raji told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day," citing data showing a weak correlation between terrorism and the migrations.
Quote:
"I think that when we talk about these immigration patterns we need to use the facts that are available. There's absolutely no data to support that," Raji said of the Trump administration claims.
Sweden has a population of about 10 million people and has accepted around 200,000 recent migrants, she said.
"Based on that we should be reporting terrorist attacks in Sweden every week. You (saw) no such thing last year," Raji said.

Do you have date and statistics that refute these above analyses?

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-20-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
And the bar keeps getting lower.
What do you think you are accomplishing by overreacting?

Do you act this way about every blessed news report you see about any event when the press slings out partial and incomplete stories or do you wait until you get more info to decide what's really going on?

Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The attacks on Trump by the Left on this Sweden thing is proof that pure hatred is clouding their ability to understand context.
The sad thing is they don't understand that the press knows this and uses it to spin them endlessly.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
First Bowling Green, now Sweden. Donald Trump refers to non-existent refugee 'incident' in Sweden during rally*

It's all lies, all the time.
It's hopeless. His supporters put a spin on everything he says; they are utterly brainwashed by this lunatic. When he said that he could stand on 5th Avenue and shoot someone and wouldn't lose voters, he knew what he was talking about. He was making contemptuous fun of his own voters, of course, but that was lost on them. He could burn down the country and they'd all be cheering, "It needs to be rebuilt, anyway!" Hopeless.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
He'll never make it 4 years. I doubt he makes it one full year. He carries along too much BS and controversy.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
He didn't misspeak. He misunderstood. He watched some B-roll footage of some rioting from who knows when and thought it was currently happening. That is an uninformed president, out of touch with current events, which clearly impacts his decision-making skills. Perhaps he would've learned that nothing had happened that night if he had attended his daily briefing.

Please, for the sake of our country, everyone, destroy every VHS, DVD, and BluRay of War Games you can find. Red Dawn as well.

We have a president who does not read, does not listen to anyone, and takes everything he sees on TV as fact. He's more interested in his own ratings than he is in our security. I beg his supporters to start paying attention to this.
I don't agree with you. The answer was given that he got the info from a show on fox the night before(i.e. last night at that time).

If you watched the show, it was a documentary filmmaker being interviewed. No one comes on for tv interviews in the middle of making a documentary film in real time. So your explanation doesn't make sense.

But, even if it did, misspoke/misunderstood, does not equal lying or making something up.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump said he heard this. He also questioned it. So no lie.
the press conference was the second time trump made the claim. so either nobody on his staff pointed out to him the error, which would show gross incompetence on his staff, or he intentionally lied.

he also claimed he'd "seen" the information that he had the highest electoral votes since reagan. so, again, either his staff is creating completely bogus information for him to look at or he's lying.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I don't agree with you. The answer was given that he got the info from a show on fox the night before(i.e. last night at that time).

If you watched the show, it was a documentary filmmaker being interviewed. No one comes on for tv interviews in the middle of making a documentary film in real time. So your explanation doesn't make sense.

But, even if it did, misspoke/misunderstood, does not equal lying or making something up.
He didn't even misspeak. He was referring to facts about Sweden and refugees. He didn't even use the phrase "terrorist attack" or "terrorism" in his comments about Sweden and Germany. The Leftist media have made this claim up out of whole cloth, and all their loyal followers have climbed on the wagon. They never bothered to check the facts.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:03 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, excuse me (but I'm sure you all knew this) it was Columbus ...I mistakenly said Cincinnati. The Ohio State campus attack:

"Artan bought knives on the day of the attack, a law enforcement official said. Artan rammed his car into a group of people on the Columbus campus and then got out and charged at passersby with a knife. Ohio State University Police Officer Alan Horujko shot Artan after he failed to obey orders to stop, killing him and stopping the attack."

There was a terrorist suspect arrested in Cincinnati in 2015. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/cinci...rorism-charges

My error does not mitigate the danger we face because of the increased and uncontrolled influx of Muslim "refugees" into our communities.
The Columbus attack had nothing to do with refugees, or terror.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Okay, let's be honest, shall we? I just listened to the actual tape of what he said. He didn't say anything about any terrorist attack. He didn't even make reference to any event. He said, "...you look at what's happening in Sweden..."

That's what he said. And what is happening in Sweden? They are experiencing a huge rise in crime and violence, including RAPE since they have begun opening their doors to "refugees." Note that is a fact, supported by numerous articles, a couple of which I have already posted here.

Dishonest media, criticizing him, claiming he "made up a terrorist attack." Not true!
He referenced "last night" as if there was some relevant event of extreme import.

Come now. Quit excusing him. He's reckless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies