Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"Herr Derr, I know someone with a post-grad who gives good tips, so you're wrong."

Nice anecdote. And grats on turning what I said into a partisan attack. Aren't moderators supposed to be "fair"?

As for the humanities, I think philosophy and history are far more important than any technical skill. If you don't understand the world, you will never be anything more than a useful idiot.
I didn't agree to be nonpartisan when asked to mod (though I do not mod P&OC, anyway).

That said, it was more a right-wing comment than a partisan comment. I know plenty of moderate Republicans.

And some conservative Dems, for that matter. I even know a good many liberal Republicans.

I know more than one person with a post-grad degree. Having one tends to up one's chances of knowing other academics. Go figure.

Most academics are liberals (regardless of party affiliation or lack thereof...I'm unaffiliated). The academics who are most likely to be conservatives tend to be in fields like engineering and the like (corporate, high-earning)...which does back up the idea that liberal people who have post-grad degrees are likely to tip more than conservatives with post-grad degrees.

Personally (I waited tables briefly in grad school) the worst tippers I've ever seen are baptist preachers.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
So you're telling me all these tradesmen in oil, gas, electric, mining industries clearing six fig with only a HS degree aren't "educated"?

Num of people working as tradesmen and making six figures / total num of people with just a HS degree

What do you think the percentage of that is...I'd say VERY VERY VERY low.

Whereas the percentage is higher for the following

Num of people with professional jobs and making six figures / total number of people with just a BA/BS

Old 02-19-2017, 10:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
So you're telling me all these tradesmen in oil, gas, electric, mining industries clearing six fig with only a HS degree aren't "educated"?

Education isn't measured with a piece paper, education is measured in knowledge. Drawing your own parameters to what that is then drawing conclusions from it speaks for itself.

We got five year apprenticeships out there but "on paper" these men are only HS educated.
Trained to do a skill, and a college degree are different.

You don't have to take basic economics, political science, sociology, psychology, math, science, etc....to get a welding degree. You train to be a welder.

And that's not a bad thing but it is what it is...it's not the same as a college education.

I have many friends that are tradesmen. Some of the best people, bright, capable.....and skilled. But they are the first to tell me they don't understand all the economic mumbo jumbo. Not me --them -- they admit it. I tell them it is all common sense -- but they don't get i....not all of course..but many.

So being trained in a skill and being 'educated' are two different things. Nothing wrong with that -- and one is not better than the other. There is room for all at the table.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:

Education isn't measured with a piece paper, education is measured in knowledge. Drawing your own parameters to what that is then drawing conclusions from it speaks for itself.
I usually say, imagine everything you know about life, especially the most-important things, how much of that did you learn from school, and how much did you learn independently?

The whole "the uneducated" meme, is something liberals started referencing lately to discredit their opposition.

They seem incapable of understanding, that what they are insinuating by criticizing the choices of "the uneducated', is that they believe the uneducated are too stupid to make decisions for themselves. And that only "the educated" really have a right to have an opinion. And that, more-or-less, the uneducated should be ignored, marginalized, ostracized, etc, because they are unworthy.

Of course, they don't seem to understand that this is a complete contradiction of what they pretend to stand for, democracy, equality, etc.

Because the truth is, that isn't what they stand for at all. And most of this country is abandoning them, because as Bill Maher said it, they are the "boutique party of fake outrage and social-engineering".

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...democrats.html

Reminds me of the South Park episode about "smug".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:

We got five year apprenticeships out there but "on paper" these men are only HS educated.
"Educated," for the purposes of this discussion, refers to a liberal arts education, not a single-subject focus.

I do agree that there is more than one way to educate one's self on any given topic, though.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which does back up the idea that liberal people who have post-grad degrees are likely to tip more than conservatives with post-grad degrees.
This is what I'll give you. I think liberal post-grads are probably more-likely to tip than conservative post-grads.

But if you read my original comment, it wasn't about liberal or conservative post-grads. That isn't what the conversation was about.

I was actually making a comparison between people who earn "more money" and people who make "less money". And I was explaining that, psycho-analytically, the kinds of people who put the effort in for a post-graduate degree, are people who are very driven. But outside of a few exceptions, I can't imagine they are being driven by virtue.

Rather, as everyone knows, they are primarily driven by money, and social-status.

Thus, I was stating that, the average post-grad, is very unlikely to be a "better person" than someone with a lesser-education. Which is backed-up by the article I linked, as well as the observations that myself and others in my profession had made about who were good tippers, and who weren't.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Some threads are hilarious - and this is one of them!!

I am, however, (pleasantly) surprised at one-third of post-grads!!

But, I'm most surprised that some seem to think education confers wisdom!!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:04 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
THis is fake news. Trump has 100% support from everyone in the galaxy. I think other galaxies support him also, though I heard his approval in Andromeda is only 98%.

Long live our king. He is our president until the end of time
Hahaha! Good one!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Some threads are hilarious - and this is one of them!!

I am, however, (pleasantly) surprised at one-third of post-grads!!

But, I'm most surprised that some seem to think education confers wisdom!!
Clearly this thread is proof that it does not!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's now obvious. Donny gets his support from low educated white Americans.

https://twitter.com/pollreport/statu...99630041735168
In other words the people who actually work in this country like Trump. My husband and I are beginning to think that college ruins people. They are not educated and taught to have logical thought. College is more a brain washing process. So if we want America to be great again what needs to be changed is what is being taught in college. Whatever they are learning is not providing them with a better living than many of us who have some college, until we learned enough to get productive work, have provided for ourselves.

And yes, there is definitely a difference between going to school several years and having a high I.Q. and being productive. I worked with some of the laziest good-for-nothing college graduates. I was talking to my sister-in-law about the good-for-nothing teachers that she worked around and the things they used to get out of doing work and she said, "I asked them one day if I go to college, can I learn to be an idiot too." I sat at my desk doing my job one day when two people who had teaching degrees spent 30 minutes trying to talk each other into doing a not very pleasant job. That was several dollars of the taxpayers money that was totally wasted because they were too lazy to do their job. What they spent about 1/2 hour talking about would have taken 10 minutes to do. I got so tired of hearing it I thought about taking my break and going to do it for them so I wouldn't have to listen to it anymore.

Last edited by NCN; 02-19-2017 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies