Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 AM

14,863 posts, read 8,143,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
In other words, there are a lot of educated people who are really stupid.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Education ~= intelligence.
Intelligence ~= common sense.

There are plenty of people, of all levels of education, who I would deem stupid.

"The average pub in a coal-mining village contains more intelligence and wisdom than the British Cabinet or the high table of an Oxbridge college." - George Orwell

Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 AM

98 posts, read 135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
So, unless you are a highly educated American you don't deserve to work? Get healthcare? Live in a safe neighborhood? What's the point of this thread?
The poll implies that highly educated people care more about the poor, their health care, and their safety, because Trump hates the poor, including their health care and housing.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:29 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,010,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In many cases, yes. And it's interesting to note that such indoctrination is soundly rejected by society. Otherwise, the "most educated" would be earning the most income... They're not.
These are the kinds of things I hear people whom fail at life say.

Education has a direct correlation to earnings.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/1...re-income.html

But go ahead and keep up with the false beliefs and buying in to BS hypernationalism and xenophobia. Let President Bannon keep patting you on the back and comforting you letting you know that no, the failures of uneducated whites isn't because of their lack of talent or ambition...it's Mexicans, Muzzies and the Chinese.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM

88,557 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
These are the kinds of things I hear people whom fail at life say.

Education has a direct correlation to earnings.
Well... you can't have it both ways. Either the left is more educated and is therefore earning more, or they're not.

Guess what the truth is? They're not.

A lot of data on earnings and party affiliation, here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...class-support/

Old 02-21-2017, 08:52 AM

28,911 posts, read 14,260,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Success doesn't have all that much to do with smart. Plenty of smart people aren't successful. Plenty of not that smart people are. It certainly helps to not be dumber than a doorknob as that does make being successful much more difficult but as long as you're not just retarded being smart is highly overrated when it comes to success.

I should have used different verbiage and replaced smart with driven or common sense. I do know several very successful people and I often wonder how they tie their shoes in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Have you assessed the counterfactual? Any data or statistics to support your claims? or are you just blowing hot air and trying to sound smart?

Wow, lighten up Frances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What you said in no way disputes what I just said.

uh, okay ?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,010,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well... you can't have it both ways. Either the left is more educated and is therefore earning more, or they're not.

Guess what the truth is? They're not.

A lot of data on earnings and party affiliation, here:

#1 - That was not your claim. Your claim was that more education does not correlate with more income...that is patently false.

#2 - The claim of the statistics cited in the OP exhibit that *among whites* that *more education* equals *more disapproval* of Trump. I hope the stars and bolds make that very simple.

#3 - When making a claim it's helpful to support your claim with reputable sources.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:00 AM

1,649 posts, read 999,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Again you guys and your projections....:stick to the topic at hand. None of what you said is related to the chart the OP posted
It's completely related. I'm saying that the histogram you're looking at is screwed by thousands upon thousands of white women that I don't actually consider do be anymore educated than someone with a 2 year degree or a skilled trade. In regards to being educated, someone with a cupcake creative writing or art degree and someone with a degree in say accounting or civil engineering are not equal. This type of nonsense is like the whole red state blue state BS. It's generalizing at its finest. I thought you people are supposed to be against that "painting with a broad stroke."

Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,071,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
So you're educated? But you fall for this notion where you stereotype Trump voters as misogynists, hating minorities, etc.

All your post demonstrates is how easy you are influenced by the mass media.

There are plenty of people with degrees running around that can't think for themselves.
Mike, I'm not talking about EVERYONE.

I'm talking about the segment of Trump supporters who DO think this way.

And, yes, you are correct. There are plenty of people with degrees who aren't particularly street savvy.

But, this poll was specifically about degrees and white people's support of Trump.

That's all. You have a degree. I think you said you have two of them. Yet, you are (I assume) capable of taking care of yourself.

You have got to assume there are people who do not like Trump who are also degreed and capable.

Whenever I mention a certain type of mentality that one can see in a Trump supporter, I recognize that there are some pretty loopy left-wingers out there, too.

Please don't mistake my dislike of Trump and of the people who DO support him because he's said some pretty horrible things about gays, minorities, and women as a sign that I think that ALL the people who voted for him think that way. I know they don't.

Humans are complex.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,438,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It's completely related. I'm saying that the histogram you're looking at is screwed by thousands upon thousands of white women that I don't actually consider do be anymore educated than someone with a 2 year degree or a skilled trade. In regards to being educated, someone with a cupcake creative writing or art degree and someone with a degree in say accounting or civil engineering are not equal. This type of nonsense is like the whole red state blue state BS. It's generalizing at its finest. I thought you people are supposed to be against that "painting with a broad stroke."
you can certainly infer things from the chart, which many people have done; however the chart is what it is, a look at correlation between education and approval of Trump....That's it......I see a lot of people jumping in here with arguments about how one can be successful without an education and other arguments of that nature. All fine and dandy, but that's not what the chart deals with...rather it seems to be a lot of people overcompensating and projecting about lack of education...

Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM

88,557 posts, read 44,271,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
#1 - That was not your claim. Your claim was that more education does not correlate with more income...that is patently false.
No, it isn't. Case in point:

Woman with Master's Degree on welfare: This 35 year old with an advanced degree still earns no more than $24,000/year, in Chicago.

This college instructor has a Master’s degree — and she’s still living in poverty

As to the rest of your points... Prove that Trump supporters, who the left claim that as a group are less educated, earn less than those who supported Hillary.

You can find the data here:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.