Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times

Advertisements

I have only started watching the series today--on Episode 3-- but there are some great comparisons to be drawn between Jude Law's character Lenny Belardo, Cardinal of New York, chosen Pope by some unwitting Cardinals in the Curia and Donald J. Trump, 45th president of US, by grace of the electoral college, Vladimir Putin and the FSB, and a minority of (unwitting?) American voters...

Anybody watching this limited HBO series unfolding along side Trump's presidency???
I wish I had started the series in real time now vs catching up in multiples on HBOGo...so I could have savored it along with the day to day of the trainwreck that is Trump...

So far--just some quick similarities--
Both unexpected winners
Both initially given the benefit of the doubt from the establishment they control
Both seem to appreciate some of the historical trappings thst come with the office
Both throwbacks to more conservative value systems
Both choose a surprising and unorthodox advisor who shock and threaten mainstream opinion
Both probably unhinged in their conceit, seem devoid of empathy, and revel in the power of their office

Lenny does seem more fiscally conservative though since in Ep 3 he fires the Cardinal in charge of planning the Pope's travel and exiles him to Alaska--since Lenny doesn't plan to travel...
Something for Trump to consider after the first expense report of 11million and change in the first month in office...

So interested to compare notes/points of view
And interesting that American Horror Story's new season will feature this election as well...

Last edited by loves2read; 02-19-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:03 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
"Unwitting voters" - people you don't agree with

Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,690,076 times
The word was in parenthesis and had a question mark
Implying irony and certainly the idea that SOME voters might not have know what they were getting with Trump

I dont see how you can discount the possibility that some voters do regret/question that choice--especially in light of some glaring mistakes with his media presence if nothing else--and I refer specifically to the two incidences in press conferences where he totally misconstrued the response to the Jewish reporters and this weekend's gaffe about Swedish terrorism..,
Those are overt examples of someone in big difficulty parsing media/data that require the ability to listen objectively and process content appropriately--and he failed in spectacular form...

But it is even more revealing that out of every word in my opening post that "unwitting" was the one you chose to find fault with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies