Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why do you equate thinking her crazy ( in political terms) with hate? Can you not disagree with someone without hating them? If not, dont project that onto me. I dont like her, or Cruz, or Trump. But I dont hate any of them.

I dont care one bit about the Democrats history. Again ( pay attention this time) , I am talking conservatives, not GOP or Dems. Southrrn conservatives were Dem prior to 1965. They largely moved to the GOP starting after that and pretty well completing the move by the time of Reagan. They were racist as Dems, and they were racist as GOP. But through it all in both parties they were conservatives, who ultimately lost the battle against civil rights.
You called her crazy and didn't even refer to her by name. Crazy Alaska woman.

You can't explain why you say you are a conservative but can't support two conservatives. I think this good evidence that you are a liberal. Given your insults on this topic, it is obvious you are.

Again, this is what liberals do. You redefine conservatives as racist and act like liberals cannot be racist.

The racists back in the day were New Dealers, FDR type politician supporters. New Dealers were not conservatives.]

I note that you still have not named all the racist policies the GOP is pushing. YOu keep asserting they switched but you never specify the racist policies the GOP uses to lure racists. Why do you think that is? I've made this point several time and you never respond to it. It is all crickets.

Nobody is voting in recent decades with any expectations that white supremacy policies are going to be advanced by either party. It is off the table. Thus, white racists could not have as a group shifted to GOP.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:34 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Is it the last gasp? I doubt it.

However, given the chaos that Trump is creating for the GOP, I wouldn't be surprised if they reorganized and closed ranks to prevent his like from getting in again.

Actually, I view both of the major parties as being completely disheveled right now. I kinda think both of them are going to be doing some 'cleaning house'. If not....then some of the non-major parties (Libertarian, Green Party, etc), might start grabbing some more crumbs here and there.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I don't believe it. Your party's strategy is to smear GOP politicians as racist. It is all politics.

Fact: WHen this country had racist policies, it was because of the Democrat party.

I note that your party still has not changed its name. Asking black voters to vote for a party with that name is like asking Jews to vote for a party called the Nazi party.
It's your party's policy to paint itself as racists. You keep trying to paint Democrats as the racist from their platform from civil war to the civil Rights movement. So which party is TODAY fighting for the same platform that those racists Democrats fight for -- states rights, pro-Confederacy, anti-Northern liberal elites, etc.?

Yesteryear's Democrats would find more overlap with today's Republicans than today's Democrats.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's your party's policy to paint itself as racists. You keep trying to paint Democrats as the racist from their platform from civil war to the civil Rights movement. So which party is TODAY fighting for the same platform that those racists Democrats fight for -- states rights, pro-Confederacy, anti-Northern liberal elites, etc.?

Yesteryear's Democrats would find more overlap with today's Republicans than today's Democrats.
There is nothing wrong with states rights in general. It was states rights for slavery, segregation that was an issue and that was pushed by the Democrat party.

THe GOP is not pushing any pro-Confederacy thing. You are completely making that up.

I love how you refer to northern Democrats as elites. Only thing GOP says about Democrat up north is they are liberals. Has nothing to do with them being anti-racist. It is like you pretend you don't know liberals lose in the south due to their positions on abortion, taxes, gun rights, etc.

Show me the GOP policies push for segregation, slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, Civil War, etc. You can't. But because you are a partisan Democrat interested in demonizing the GOP, you assert that the GOP is racist.

THe reason liberals get so upset when I point out the racism was done by Democrat party back in the day is they are worried black voter may become open to voting GOP again. If GOP can get around 15 percent of black vote on regular basis, it is pretty much lights out for Democrat party. So Democrats calling GOP racist is about fearmongering black people to keep them voting Democrat. This is the most obvious thing in the world.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with states rights in general. It was states rights for slavery, segregation that was an issue and that was pushed by the Democrat party.

THe GOP is not pushing any pro-Confederacy thing. You are completely making that up.

I love how you refer to northern Democrats as elites.

Show me the GOP policies push for segregation, slavery, lynching, Jim Crow, Civil War, etc. You can't. But because you are a partisan Democrat interested in demonizing the GOP, you assert that the GOP is racist.
Who keeps defending Confederate flag on state buildings? Who keeps defending Confederate hero days that line up with either Black history month or MLK day? It's not Democrats.

Which party fought to overturn Voting Rights Act and then immediately passed legislation that had already been find to violate that act? It wasn't Democrats.

I use Northern elites the way Conservatives --Democrats of the past and Republicans of today -- use it.

This is the racist paternalistic bs that keeps Republicans from getting that 15% you think you deserve. Black people don't need politicians telling us who's racist. The fact that you need to be told that Black people can think for themselves shoes that you don't deserve our vote today bc you're still locked in that racist mentality from yesteryear.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 PM

A lot of Democrats support the Confederate flag and monuments. Jim Webb defends the monuments. You are just assuming the people opposed to taking down monuments are all Republican voters.

The GOP doesn't see monuments as an issue. Liberals are no doubt losing Democrats to the GOP but it isn't because the GOP is out there making it an issue. Why should GOP apologize if liberals drive their own voters away. Most of the monuments are in city areas that are controlled by Democrats. Not much the GOP can do to stop liberal cities from taking them down.

The Confederate flag in SC was taken down by Nikki Haley, a Republican governor. It was takend own off the state house previously by another GOP governor. It was put up there by the very liberal Democrat governor Ernest Hollings.

Why don't liberals call for your party's name to be change given its history? Heritage not hate? Obviously you must accept that premise.

I have no problem with taking down monuments or changing names of buildings and roads named after racist Democrats. I also think Democrat party should be forced to change its name. If I was a GOP politician, I would demand Democrats change name. Don't cherrypick your outrage.

It was the Democrat party that did the racism, the individual racist Democrats had no power without the Democratic party. The Confederate flag didn't pass racist policy, the Democratic party did. Yet liberals never demand their party's name be changed.

If I was a liberal, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Democrat name. That was the party of slavery, segregation, lynching,
KKK, etc I would want that to be changed. It is really no different than a political party calling itself the KKK because the Democrat party was the political wing of the KKK.

I looked at the Democratic Party's website, and in the History section, it claims that the party was for civil rights and women's rights for 200 years. That is the biggest lie that I've seen. It is like they want to shove their party's history down the memory hole.

I never told any black person who to vote for. You completely made that up. I said that if the GOP starts to get 15 percent or more of black voter, it would be tough for Democrats to win. THat isn't telling black people how to vote.

You also act like you speak for all black people simply because you are black. There are black Republicans and black liberterians and many black people don't vote at all.

I would say the paternalism is among white liberals regarding blacks. For example, liberals who say we can't require photo ID to vote because somehow it would be racist. It is not difficult to get a photo ID. It seems like the Democrat party must have a low opinion of black voters if it thinks they are unable to get a photo ID. I also don't understand how we prevent voter fraud without photo ID.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-03-2017 at 11:39 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 PM

Bill Clinton supported a Robert E Lee day in Arkansas. He also gave his mentor, segregationist William Fullbright, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and called him a great visonary.

Regarding the Arkansas state flag, Clinton signed Act 116 that stated “The blue star above the word “ARKANSAS” is to commemorate the Confederate States of America.”

There are a lot of voters not even aware of these things because most of the media never talked about it. It would be a different story if CLinton had been a GOP pol. All of these things would have been described as a dog whistle to white racists if a GOP pol had done them.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
A lot of Democrats support the Confederate flag and monuments. Jim Webb defends the monuments. You are just assuming the people opposed to taking down monuments are all Republican voters.

The GOP doesn't see monuments as an issue. Liberals are no doubt losing Democrats to the GOP but it isn't because the GOP is out there making it an issue. Why should GOP apologize if liberals drive their own voters away.

The Confederate flag in SC was taken down by Nikki Haley, a Republican governor. It was takend own off the state house previously by another GOP governor. It was put up there by the very liberal Democrat governor Ernest Hollings.

Why don't liberals call for your party's name to be change given its history? Heritage not hate? Obviously you must accept that premise.

I have no problem with taking down monuments or changing names of buildings and roads named after racist Democrats. I also think Democrat party should be forced to change its name. If I was a GOP politician, I would demand Democrats change name. Don't cherrypick your outrage.

It was the Democrat party that did the racism, the individual racist Democrats had no power without the Democratic party. The Confederate flag didn't pass racist policy, the Democratic party did. Yet liberals never demand their party's name be changed.

If I was a liberal, I wouldn't want to be associated with the Democrat name. That was the party of slavery, segregation, lynching,
KKK, etc I would want that to be changed. It is really no different than a political party calling itself the KKK because the Democrat party was the political wing of the KKK.

I looked at the Democratic Party's website, and in the History section, it claims that the party was for civil rights and women's rights for 200 years. That is the biggest lie that I've seen. It is like they want to shove their party's history down the memory hole.

I never told any black person who to vote for. You completely made that up. I said that if the GOP starts to get 15 percent or more of black voter, it would be tough for Democrats to win. THat isn't telling black people how to vote.

You also act like you speak for all black people simply because you are black. There are black Republicans and black liberterians and many black people don't vote at all.

I would say the paternalism is among white liberals regarding blacks. For example, liberals who say we can't require photo ID to vote because somehow it would be racist. It is not difficult to get a photo ID. It seems like the Democrat party must have a low opinion of black voters if it thinks they are unable to get a photo ID. I also don't understand how we prevent voter fraud without photo ID.
I see... your arguments are based on finding one outlier in the group to say that the whole group is guilty. Are you expecting to find 100% agreement on an issue before your comfortable labelling a party one way or the other? Bc most rational adults recognize that as a logical fallacy. Jim Webb is the outlier, if he's pro- Confederate memorials, since an overwhelming majority of Democrats disapprove of it.

Democrats' Views on Confederate Flag Increasingly Negative | Gallup

And why did it take until Nikki Haley in 2015 to remove that racist emblem? Why are NC, GA, and MS still incorporating that racist imagery in their flags? None of them had or have any Democrats obstructing their removal. If Republicans are so anti-racism that the 1860-1960s Dems, why are you still celebrating their actions?

"So Democrats calling GOP racist is about fearmongering black people to keep them voting Democrat. This is the most obvious thing in the world.". If you don't understand your own words, that's your problem. What you wrote means that you think Black people only think the GOP is racist bc politicians told them that, as opposed to Black people being able to think on their own and reach that conclusion w/o someone on a ballot to them.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:03 AM

What you are leaving out is a large percent of Democrat party voters are minorities to include most black voters, so of course there is more opposition to Confederate flag compared to a mostly white GOP. That doesn't mean there are a lot of white Democrats that support the flag and confederate monuments. I think most Confederate flag supporters are rural white blue collar Democrats. Trump attracted a lot of these rural white blue collar Democrats but he never talked up the flag or monuments.

Of course you say Webb is an outlier because you have a narrative. THe GOP is racist is your narrative and your party's narrative. It is all politics.

Today the Democrat party or CNN said the wrestling CNN meme that Trump tweeted out is racist. Your party has jumped the shark on these racism charges.

You can fault the GOP for not pushing to get the flag down prior to the shooting, but I note the Democrats in SC were not pushing for it. YOu don't seem to care about that. Again, the flag came down off the state house by David Beasley back in the 1990s. It was moved to the state house grounds. It was a compromise. It has now been removed by the GOP, yet you still want to talk about it. This has never been a big issue with most voters in SC.

Let me note again that you don't have a problem with Democratic Party name being used. The Confederate flag was that party's flag. It is clear that you cherrypick what you label racism. If it doesn't help your party, y ou don't say it is racist. Thus, Confederate flag = racism, but modern use of the name Democratic Party does not equal racism, even though that was the party that pushed all the racist policies.

You can't give any prominent examples of racist Republicans yet you keep accusing the GOP of racism. I never said that black people 'don't think on their own'. I said the Democrat party is trying to fearmonger black people. I have no problem with a black person voting Democrat if he or she GOP is racist. It does not matter to me at all. All I care about is I can vote and hopefully my party comes out on top.

4 years ago, Biden told a black audience that 'Romney wants to put ya'll back in chains'. That is obvious race baiting. I would have a hard time believing any black person would believe Romney wants black people to be slaves. But if Biden is saying stuff like this, he must think that some black people would believe it.

But get this, a few weeks ago BIden was invited to Romney's ideas summit, and he encouraged Romney to run for Senate. So he encouraged a man that he said wanted black people to be 'back in chains' to run for Senate. That is incredible and there was no media coverage of this. The only conclusions you can make is he never believed Romney wanted black people 'back in chains' or that he doesn't really care if Romney wants black people 'back in chains'.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-04-2017 at 12:25 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
What you are leaving out is a large percent of Democrat party voters are minorities to include most black voters, so of course there is more opposition to Confederate flag compared to a mostly white GOP. That doesn't mean there are a lot of white Democrats that support the flag and confederate monuments. I think most Confederate flag supporters are rural white blue collar Democrats. Trump attracted a lot of these rural white blue collar Democrats but he never talked up the flag or monuments.

Of course you say Webb is an outlier because you have a narrative. THe GOP is racist is your narrative and your party's narrative. It is all politics.

Today the Democrat party said the wrestling CNN meme that Trump tweeted out is racist. Your party has jumped the shark.

You can fault the GOP for not pushing to get the flag down, but I note the Democrats in SC were not pushing for it. YOu don't seem to care about that. Again, the flag came down off the state house by David Beasley back in the 1990s. It was moved to the state house grounds. It was a compromise. It has now been removed by the GOP, yet you still want to talk about it.

Let me note again that you don't have a problem with Democratic Party name being used. The Confederate flag was that party's flag.
So you see a stat that says 75% of Republicans are okay with the Confederate flag and you take it to mean that it's mostly Democrats that support the flag?

My narrative is based on facts. Your narrative ignores facts. You just tried to make up your own set of facts bc you didn't like to facts you were presented.

You say that Democrats didn't push for the flag to come down, so who did David Beasley have to compromise with? Why did it take another 20 years for it to be removed? And why are MS, NC, and GA still flying flags with CSA elements?

And I don't have a problem with all using the term Democrat bc Democrats have been working to mend race relations since the end of the association with Conservatives. When are you going to answer why Republicans are still fighting to support what you acknowledge was a racist movement by 1860-1960s Democrats?

Speaking as a Black man that knows how to think for himself, and assumes other Black people think for themselves, I took Bidens comments as they were intended to be taken: metaphorically. I call trying to silence our vote and turnout, an attempt to metaphorically put us back in chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies