Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:37 PM

379 posts, read 255,163 times

Advertisements

And what generation produced these goofballs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Lol, just what our parents used to say about us. I remember when I entered the workforce and changed jobs after two years my dad was mortified. He thought I made a horrible decision. He couldn't understand anyone changing jobs in their lifetime.

Generations change and evolve. Some for the better, some you shake your head at.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Yeah, that goes back at least to Socrates.
I vaguely recall a cartoon where two old cavemen, watching a passing younger caveman with a wheel, decried the younger generation.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Lol, just what our parents used to say about us. I remember when I entered the workforce and changed jobs after two years my dad was mortified. He thought I made a horrible decision. He couldn't understand anyone changing jobs in their lifetime.

Generations change and evolve. Some for the better, some you shake your head at.
They'll figure it out in their own time like we did. Things are different today. Different enough that being like we were when we were young (referring to baby boomers here) would probably be a problem today.

My concern, as an educator, is that I'm teaching kids who have three second attention spans in a system designed for people who can actually read for 20 minutes and retain what they read.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:55 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to say Millennials are very interesting.

They are interesting though with their weird optimism, arrogance and pretentiousness.

They also have zero grasp of reality. I don't know if it's the full-time video gaming jobs or almost every one of them calls themselves a "professional" but the generation is just different.

Most of them have extremely short attention spans and have a distorted view of reality with unrealistic fantasies.

I hear many of them say that they have a higher purpose, but what is the higher purpose to go on Twitter, Facebook and Twitch.

Is there higher purpose to sit in front of laptops for 6 to 8 years and have tremendous amounts of debt because they lived off loans for 6 to 8 years while having $10 a day latte habits, $8 smoothie habits and catered lunches daily from UberEats.

Many of them like a globalist agenda but the globalist agenda means that they will live at the median level of the globe as a whole and not the well-off country it once was.

Many of them worship things that are politically correct, but because of the political correctness taxes will skyrocket for them.

It is a very odd generation. I like the internet. But I don't spend hours per day gossiping about myself on Facebook or Tweeting the last time I coughed or Twitch streaming 18-20 hours a day.

The way you speak makes me think you really have no personal connection with any of these young adults. You may have heard, but you heard wrong. Overalll, my kids and their cohort have a very firm grip on reality.
At least the many of them I can vouch for. They are our future.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
The way you speak makes me think you really have no personal connection with any of these young adults. You may have heard, but you heard wrong. Overalll, my kids and their cohort have a very firm grip on reality.
At least the many of them I can vouch for. They are our future.
I'm a teacher and I would disagree with you but I don't see them being any more out of touch with reality than the generations that came before them. They're idealistic and think life should be fair. Eventually they will learn that believing in ideals and fairness are one thing but having the resources to fix things is quite another. Life isn't fair. Eventually we all figure that out.

They are not OUR future. They are their own future. We're on our way out and won't be here for that future.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Most grew up sheltered, babied with no sense of responsibility and no motivation because everything has been handed to them on a silver platter.
You can thank helicopter parenting for this.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have to say Millennials are very interesting.

They are interesting though with their weird optimism, arrogance and pretentiousness.

They also have zero grasp of reality. I don't know if it's the full-time video gaming jobs or almost every one of them calls themselves a "professional" but the generation is just different.

Most of them have extremely short attention spans and have a distorted view of reality with unrealistic fantasies.

I hear many of them say that they have a higher purpose, but what is the higher purpose to go on Twitter, Facebook and Twitch.

Is there higher purpose to sit in front of laptops for 6 to 8 years and have tremendous amounts of debt because they lived off loans for 6 to 8 years while having $10 a day latte habits, $8 smoothie habits and catered lunches daily from UberEats.

Many of them like a globalist agenda but the globalist agenda means that they will live at the median level of the globe as a whole and not the well-off country it once was.

Many of them worship things that are politically correct, but because of the political correctness taxes will skyrocket for them.

It is a very odd generation. I like the internet. But I don't spend hours per day gossiping about myself on Facebook or Tweeting the last time I coughed or Twitch streaming 18-20 hours a day.
This millennial can set valve lash, set distributor dwell, adjust the points with a match book. Build engines. Rebuild transmissions auto/manual. Rebuild differentials. Build a house. Sweat pipes. Strip clean lube re-assemble any firearm placed in front of me.

Believes in national sovereignty, secured borders. Fights with property assessors for lower taxes. Drinks coffee black with sugar. Have no use for Facebook other than to stay in touch with friends and family.

Far from politically correct. I call it like I see it. Offended, Ohwell.
Not racist either. Only color that matters to me is green. Like John Deere or Money. Although the new hundreds have blue holographic stripes in them...

A lot are as you say "entitled"
It's a good thing a lot of them aren't into the trades I'm involved in and waste time and productivity with social media. More opportunities and money for me

Don't believe in paying into social security either. If I had it my way I'd never pay a dime into it. It's not the governments responsibility to provide me or anyone for that matter a retirement. Could put that money into an interest bearing account or invest it myself with a good yield... I believe in less government. Less taxes. Providing for myself.

A lot are in debt to their eyeballs. They're the dummies who went to school on mommy and daddy's dime and had to take loans out for the rest. I didn't have that option. I paid for my education with cash. If you think college is the end all be all and the miracle to solve all of life's issues...ha I've got some land on mars for sale I'll sell ya cheap. Colleges are businesses. You pay for a service. College needs to make a profit. Recruiters=Salesmen.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
This millennial can set valve lash, set distributor dwell, adjust the points with a match book. Build engines. Rebuild transmissions auto/manual. Rebuild differentials. Build a house. Sweat pipes. Strip clean lube re-assemble any firearm placed in front of me.

Believes in national sovereignty, secured borders. Fights with property assessors for lower taxes. Drinks coffee black with sugar. Have no use for Facebook other than to stay in touch with friends and family.

Far from politically correct. I call it like I see it. Offended, Ohwell.
Not racist either. Only color that matters to me is green. Like John Deere or Money. Although the new hundreds have blue holographic stripes in them...

A lot are as you say "entitled"
It's a good thing a lot of them aren't into the trades I'm involved in and waste time and productivity with social media. More opportunities and money for me

Don't believe in paying into social security either. If I had it my way I'd never pay a dime into it. It's not the governments responsibility to provide me or anyone for that matter a retirement. Could put that money into an interest bearing account or invest it myself with a good yield... I believe in less government. Less taxes. Providing for myself.

A lot are in debt to their eyeballs. They're the dummies who went to school on mommy and daddy's dime and had to take loans out for the rest. I didn't have that option. I paid for my education with cash. If you think college is the end all be all and the miracle to solve all of life's issues...ha I've got some land on mars for sale I'll sell ya cheap. Colleges are businesses. You pay for a service. College needs to make a profit. Recruiters=Salesmen.

I like you. I'd vote for you to win a political office except I believe that would take a productive member of society and turn them into a leach, sucking upon and draining the very life out of society.

Stay real and be a good, self reliant person. We need many more like you from ALL generations.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Why is this thread in "Politics"? There is nothing remotely political in the opening post in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies