Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM

5,224 posts, read 4,988,061 times

Advertisements

It sickens me the attitude of many that are against a UHI. ..those are THINK that they are NOT underinsured (until they file a claim). Also they dont want to "pay" for someone else's healthcare.. Meanwhile,as the article sited, many of these people are WORKING.. HARD working people.. after all we can't all make BIG salaries!

HOwever, it's good to know that we as a nation are becoming more and more aware of the problems in this arena.. and as the light that the insurance industry.. the almost rich and the rich don't want us to see.. finally begins to shine on the problem and we become more aware. .. then change will occurr!

We should be embarassed that the most powerful and wealthiest nation in the world has such a crisis and treats it's working class so horribly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,529,571 times
I saw the 60 Minutes piece, and thought it was remarkable how many of those folks weren't the skid row types that are easily dismissed as worthless bums and derilicts. It was everyday, hard working people. I was particularly struck by the gentleman who openly wept because he couldn't care for his sick wife.

Thank God for people like Remote Access Medical.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM

68,279 posts, read 54,049,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Needful work is being done.

Donate/volunteer here:

Remote Area Medical

Thanks for posting this. I just read a small blurb about a charitable foundation that had posted expenses of $1,200,000 over a period of several years yet had issued grants of only $100,000 during the same period. RAM claims less than $2 out of pocket expense per patient. I'm not in the greatest financial condition right now but uit's nice to know I can still make a meaningful contribution.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,431,715 times
what are the republicans excuses for this?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
what are the republicans excuses for this?
They probably blame it on the people for failing to do enough to take the personal responsibility to have enough money to get adequate help for their medical problems. Remember, the Republicans strongly disagree with those who feel that getting medical care is a right. And any solution that the Republicans will suggest will require that private companies will be able to make a profit at it, meaning some unfortunate souls will still be left out. The government must find a way to step in and do something about that. I feel a major purpose for having government around is for it to step up and provide important public services that are lacking or inadequate because private companies find pursuing them too unprofitable to provide.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,767,949 times
The key word I think you used was “profit” seems that has caused many of the problems and issues that we continue to come across from day to day. There was a time in this country when medical care was provided, people made money and covered their costs, insurance was available at reasonable prices. However “profit” seemed to takeover more of the industry and less medical care could be given for various reasons.

The 60 minute report was an eye opener for what is happening in this country.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,576,797 times
Default Remote Area Medical: From Guyana to Knoxville, TN

I thought that this thread was worth bringing back so that people against some sort of public option for health care in this country could see some of people that you are denying care to. (Notice how so many in the video, which is on the left of the page at the link below, are employed.)

U.S. Health Care Gets Boost From Charity - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Charity obviously isn't enough to do it all, but if you want to donate, go here:

http://www.ramusa.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies