Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Chuck Grassley told his town hall (during protests) that three of the four GOP plans will keep pre-existing conditions, no maximums and kids on their parent's insurance. Three of the four. Interesting that the GOP already has a plan that ends pre-existing conditions, returns the lifetime maximum and takes kids from their parent's insurance.

On Tuesday, Grassley tried to reassure the crowd that packed the community hall, saying that three of the four main GOP health care plans circulating on Capitol Hill would preserve Obamacare’s most popular provisions: pre-existing condition protections, the prohibition on lifetime limits and the ability of young adults to stay on their parents’ health care plans.

This time, Grassley hears pro-Obamacare voices - POLITICO

If I didn't think it would hurt so many people, I would say, take it all away, so people could see what Republicans really stand for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You mean you need to soak the young and healthy for all of their money.

People need to start paying their fair share based upon risk, and if they cannot afford it then they can alter their Life-Styles to be healthier.
We need to make Medicare recipients pay 100% of their benefits rather than only a third. Tell them at 65, this is how much you put in, this is how much you get to spend. After that, pay for it yourself. After a heart bypass and maybe a hip replacement, they will be facing their own self-imposed death panel.

By all means, let's stop soaking the young and healthy that are working and paying for seniors.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like some of the ACA insurance providers are weighing in on the expected changes to the ACA. And stating they are looking at 40% increases in costs. Basically it's back to covering the costs of all those who choose not to have insurance.

I think some of the GOP reps are going to freak out when they realize they are stuck. Trumps actions alone will doom the ACA, but they can't find a cheaper solution. Just worse ones.

I don't think they thought their plan all the way through.

But I'll will say this, it looks like they will leave a lot of it up to states.....and the blue states will have the money to do it right. The red states just don't have the population density, and high tech income. Interesting times.
Uh....nope, they were planning increases which are to take affect next year, before the election.

Try again.

Oh, and don't forget, under your guy's old plan, 3 of the 4 major providers dropped out. Obamacare is DEAD....get used to it.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
What you all should addressing and mad about is cost. Insurance companies, drug companies, and healthcare staff make insane money. The system will never be sustainable until cost is lowered.

Why your drugs and insurance are so expensive:

Health insurance CEO salary tops out at $17.3M in 2015 | FierceHealthcare

The top 20 highest-paid biopharma CEOs | FiercePharma

Old 02-21-2017, 04:45 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Looks like some of the ACA insurance providers are weighing in on the expected changes to the ACA. And stating they are looking at 40% increases in costs. Basically it's back to covering the costs of all those who choose not to have insurance.

I think some of the GOP reps are going to freak out when they realize they are stuck. Trumps actions alone will doom the ACA, but they can't find a cheaper solution. Just worse ones.

I don't think they thought their plan all the way through.

But I'll will say this, it looks like they will leave a lot of it up to states.....and the blue states will have the money to do it right. The red states just don't have the population density, and high tech income. Interesting times.
What changes to the ACA are you talking about?

Why would insurance costs go up?

Do you have a source that says insurance companies plan to raise costs by 40%?

Old 02-21-2017, 04:47 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
We need to face the facts that health insurance is unaffordable to 80% of more of Americans. Without employer coverage, we would have a complete disaster in the country. No amount of HSAs, ACA subsidies, or vouchers are going to move the needle on this. The time has come for a tax funded plan of some sort for everyone.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You mean you need to soak the young and healthy for all of their money.

People need to start paying their fair share based upon risk, and if they cannot afford it then they can alter their Life-Styles to be healthier.
I'm not in total disagreement - I think many of the diseases we find ourselves (as a nation) fighting are largely preventable. And brought on from our (bad) life style choices. We would do a lot of good for ourselves if we changed our behaviors (specifically our eating and exercise habits).

And I think we should incorporate into our system some sort of incentives for people that do live well and healthy (discounts? incentives to go to the doctor more often (helping catch expensive diseases early on)? something else?)...there's probably a lot of good progress we can make on the preventative side of things.

That said, if you want some sort of universal healthcare system to work, you need people who are healthy and are net positives paying into the system. Do they pay more than they use? Of course. But when they're older and start needing coverage, they'll be happy to know that people younger them are paying in as they did when they were younger.

You can't just have a market with a bunch of people that need and use insurance...it'll collapse. Or rates will rise so high that only the most wealthy can afford it (and then we're just back at square one...where we were before the ACA).

And if that's what you want (what we had before ACA) - fine. But don't pretend that you're replacing the ACA with something that is "better". Just be honest and up front about your motives, at least.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We need to face the facts that health insurance is unaffordable to 80% of more of Americans. Without employer coverage, we would have a complete disaster in the country. No amount of HSAs, ACA subsidies, or vouchers are going to move the needle on this. The time has come for a tax funded plan of some sort for everyone.
I would love to see a basic plan available to everyone, the way we offer basic education to everyone. People would have the same options to go private the way they do education, but a basic level for everyone.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What you all should addressing and mad about is cost. Insurance companies, drug companies, and healthcare staff make insane money. The system will never be sustainable until cost is lowered.

Why your drugs and insurance are so expensive:

Health insurance CEO salary tops out at $17.3M in 2015 | FierceHealthcare

The top 20 highest-paid biopharma CEOs | FiercePharma
You're not totally wrong, either - we need to address the cost side of healthcare, too. And I work for a biotech company...so I'm essentially rooting against my own interests here.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We need to make Medicare recipients pay 100% of their benefits rather than only a third.

By all means, let's stop soaking the young and healthy that are working and paying for seniors.
Dear,

The people getting Medicare now, were once young and healthy and they paid into it. Your post makes no sense at all. Furthermore Medicare does not pay 100% of the costs. You might want to read up on it before making false statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies