Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Easy answer.

Asians, in general, don't try to use their minority status to seek special treatment, advantages, and/or excuses for irresponsible behavior.

For a change, Waldo, I actually agree with every word you typed ! Just today, I got a haircut and the stylist was Asian. As she was doing her job, I thought about how Asians come into this country, buckle down, work hard, keep their noses clean, and try to become good citizens. They do not try to buck the system, they try to fit in.

I'm not saying other groups do not do that, just making an observation about Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Asians tend to do well for themselves. It ruins the liberal narrative that all minorities are horribly treated and put down by whites

Old 02-21-2017, 04:37 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Asians tend to do well for themselves. It ruins the liberal narrative that all minorities are horribly treated and put down by whites
Nope, it ruins the conservative narrative on education. The American university system has been an incredible conduit of socioeconomic advancement for Asian Americans. If you listen to Trump supporters, science and technology degrees are worthless, and only thing universities are good for is "communist indoctrination."

Asian Americans voted 70%+ for Hillary, they realize strong investments in public services produce good outcomes. All the 2nd generation Asians I know are getting degrees that will land them solid careers. Most rural Trump supporters are sitting on their a**** waiting for Trump to save them from unemployment and poverty with his coal jobs and $8 per hour assembly line jobs.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Asians are in more racial discussions than they care to be in. And they're in most of the discussions i hear, that's for sure.

Usually, they're put in conversations by white people trying to pit them against blacks or some other group as whites try to put the "model minority" tag on them while expressing their hatred of the other minority groups. Happens all the time on CD. White folks feel like they're the protection force for Asian Americans....not that i've ever heard an Asian mention that they desire such an arrangement.

As for Asians themselves, i rarely ever hear them trying to insert themselves into the racial malaise. I guess they don't need to and couldn't anyway...why with white folks working so hard to jump to it before they can do it themselves.

All i know is that i've never experienced any trouble with Asians of any stripe before (a few Arabs and Indians being the rare exception). So i don't even think about them in that context.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
What issues are Asians dealing with? And who are they more successful than? Please elaborate.
Basically everyone. Overall they do better than whites. Specific subgroups do not, but they get drowned out by Asians as a whole doing better than whites in this country.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think some Asian cultures tend to keep to themselves, they keep their heads down and work hard. You never see much activity in the press about Asian groups complaining about whatever, not sure if it's a egg or the chicken deal here in terms of not complaining and not getting picked on with other minority groups.

Asians tend to value hard work, education and there's a larger measure of shame in terms of the whole out of wedlock births thing that isn't as pronounced in other groups. I think on some level we need a little shame, just enough to motivate people a bit to try a little harder to make better choices in all facets of life.

There has been a small measure of values eroding a bit over time and it seems like that has affected the Asian community in a lesser way.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:23 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Was speaking of the Asians present in the US at the time. As in "when the US oppressed some Asian people."

Fyi, my children are half Asian. Taiwanese, to be specific. Was married into an Asian family for a decade.

Am quite good at geography.

Are you talking about the Chinese in the early days of the country? And then the Japanese during WWII?

I haven't really seen discrimination. My son's wife is Filipino as is his stepson and their daughter is mixed race and looks more Filipino than not. Also, have went to school and worked with Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean immigrants and not seen an issue. Of course, they spoke English, held jobs, and many were working or had earned citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You are correct.

Asians in the US are a minority, though.

I think Asian people (overall, regardless of country of origin) get a pass because people (erroneously) assume they are meek and because they tend not to spend much time discussing religion (except Hindus).

People here like the Americanized versions of their various cuisines.

But, I have surely seen people make fun of Asian people.

Just look at Breakfast at Tiffany's.
"Meek"? Never heard that.

I have seen people make fun of every possible demographic in the world. Not sure how that is relevant.

Also, was looking at stats on illegal aliens and came across some interesting info on the fastest growing minorities and the Asians are now the fastest growing minority in America. I thought that was very good news. I was really surprised though.

Quote:
Easy answer.

Asians, in general, don't try to use their minority status to seek special treatment, advantages, and/or excuses for irresponsible behavior.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
For a change, Waldo, I actually agree with every word you typed ! Just today, I got a haircut and the stylist was Asian. As she was doing her job, I thought about how Asians come into this country, buckle down, work hard, keep their noses clean, and try to become good citizens. They do not try to buck the system, they try to fit in.

I'm not saying other groups do not do that, just making an observation about Asians.
I also agree. I had a Korean friend and she told me that she named her daughter an American name because her daughter was an American! My DIL has worked so hard on her English and is doing very well. She works in nursing and it has been quite a transition. She passed her citizenship test and was so proud. Yeah, I am kind of proud of her.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:34 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Easy answer.

That's right!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
One thing I have found interesting is that no matter how many topics there are about minorities, what issues they are dealing with or face Asians are rarely discussed. Why is that? And what is different that has made it so they are so successful in comparison to other minorities?
I am an Asian immigrant & had no issues with discrimination or racism in this country. I didnt come here with a high handed attitude thinking you owed me something. I came here to learn, blend in, work hard & become successful. I made an effort to learn about your culture, history, values, lifestyle & went out of the way to adapt myself to your country rather than being a bully & expecting you to change to accomodate me. It was my decision to migrate here so its upto me to make the effort & try to fit in. I cant speak for all Asians but atleast thats the attitude me & my Asian friends have in common.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:46 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I am an Asian immigrant & had no issues with discrimination or racism in this country. I didnt come here with a high handed attitude thinking you owed me something. I came here to learn, blend in, work hard & become successful. I made an effort to learn about your culture, history, values, lifestyle & went out of the way to adapt myself to your country rather than being a bully & expecting you to change to accomodate me. It was my decision to migrate here so its upto me to make the effort & try to fit in. I cant speak for all Asians but atleast thats the attitude me & my Asian friends have in common.

Wonderful! That's the way it should be and the way it was with most immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies