Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times

Advertisements

Basically, here is the argument: Since, by causing an embryo to exist, you created a need where there was no need before. Specifically, before coming into existence, the embryo had no needs; however, now, as a result of coming into existence, it needs to use your body to survive (and for nourishment). Thus, you should be forced to take responsibility for your actions by helping the embryo out--specifically by letting this embryo continue to use your body in order to survive and to acquire nourishment.

How exactly would you respond to this pro-life argument? Basically, while I myself previously looked at both abortion and child support from the perspective of tort law (indeed, I still consider child support to be government-sanctioned swindling if there was a prior agreement *not* to seek child support), I have to admit that that I didn't place as much emphasis on the *need* aspect of the equation before.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I'm pro-life. This is a very old beat to death argument.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:10 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Replace the word embryo with the word refugee and your argument goes out the window. Embryos grow up to commit crime just like refugees.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
At a point between conception and delivery, it's a human.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
At a point between conception and delivery, it's a human.
The DOB on my government issued ID puts it at my delivery. Anybody else have a state issued ID that claims your conception as your DOB?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
its more of a PRO BIRTH argument- the birthers don't consider the childs quality of life and future care needs once delivered (thats why replacing with the word "REFUGEE" doesnt work)...

Oh and plenty of all-American(born) people grow up and commit crimes not just "refugees" btw.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The DOB on my government issued ID puts it at my delivery. Anybody else have a state issued ID that claims your conception as your DOB?
What major biological change happened to you between the day before your delivery and the day of your delivery?

Are preemies not humans until they get to the magical day they should have been born?

Of course, I think it's weird that you feel a government decides who is a human.

We saw how well that worked out for slaves in the US and Jews in Germany.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I vote that the mother has the right to abort if it is first or second trimester no matter what. The fetus can't live without her while in the womb or out.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default The ground is shifting

This is an argument that's going to be moot soon. As we advance in bioengineering, fairly soon we'll be able to transplant an embryo into a different host - probably human, @ first. With more experience, possibly another primate. Ultimately, if we want to pursue the issue to its logical conclusion, to an artificial uterus.

I haven't kept up with the literature - but @ the rate we're going, I'd say another 50 years or so - possibly sooner, if we push on a crash course. This would be good for couples that have trouble conceiving, or whose offspring need careful screening for disease or inherited conditions, or in the case of artificial, even neonatal microsurgery or nanosurgery, DNA repair or replacement, & so on.

There's a whole series on the ideas - Cyteen, building on previous novels & stories, by SF author C. J. Cherryh, 1988.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I vote that the mother has the right to abort if it is first or second trimester no matter what. The fetus can't live without her while in the womb or out.
First trimester, no restrictions.

Second trimester, some restrictions.

Third trimester, lots of restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies