Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 12:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Must have missed the bit where someone told women that.
I guess you did.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
If you're "nice" in response, it's taken as encouragement. If you're "not nice," then you're called names and denigrated. Possibly worse.

I got a message from a stranger recently, asking about how I got tickets to see a well-known comedian at a local comedy club. I responded nicely, giving them the information necessary. Then the guy continued to message me, asking personal questions. I ignored the messages because they were inappropriate and unwelcome. Then I got called a few names. So much for that whole "being nice" thing. I could have just ignored all the messages from the get-go... but I tried to "be nice." It's not as if the messages wrecked me or anything, but they were unnecessary and rude. Why should I feel such a need to "be nice" at this point? You learn that if you give an inch, they'll take a mile. And most young girls learn this from an early age, so we learn to be wary. You just can't predict whether a nice "compliment" or innocuous conversation with a stranger is going to turn into a verbal assault... because most of us have experienced that exact scenario.

And as to the question WHY girls would be in the streets? I see girls walking to school every day... sometimes in groups, sometimes alone. They should be able to do so without some random weirdo yelling out his car window. Blame the one committing the acts of bad behavior, not the ones being affected negatively by it.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wait a minute...you're not going to sit there and try to oppress me for using LOL and OMG are you? You wouldn't want to be....JUDGEMENTAL BECAUSE I'M A GIRL, WOULD YOU?

You keep digging that hole...the further you fall in trying to prove me wrong, the funnier it is. Again, watch the entire video. The ENTIRE thing...just this once. Surely if you have a mouthful to say, you can clam it shut for a mere 10 minutes and watch something to the very end. You wouldn't be closed off to hearing another opinion, right? Oh, and just for you: LOL!
Okay. Go on as you will...

I can't even tell what it is you say I'm proving wrong, but can you please have mercy and just let me know if you are not a feminist given the common definition I provided?

Or what of anything else I have expressed in the way of opinion you seem to disagree with?

I am about to sign off and don't really have all this time to watch silly videos that from what I could tell was not altogether the most impressive version of what this is "all about." I saw enough about the bad eye liner and how "not being a feminist means not being a feminist." That's about when I got the strong feeling my time was being wasted, so why would I keep watching?

Works for you. Not so much for me. Fair?

Oh, and please don't let me get in the way of your LOLs or OMGs or Hahahahahas. My aim is certainly not to "oppress" anyone or keep them from expressing themselves as they will, although I must admit all that business in response to my comment did make me feel a bit oppressed as well, maybe even depressed. Too weary for my taste...

Please, just what is this other opinion you are going on about? This opinion you say I'm closed off to hearing? In your own words. I'm lost and you have me curious...

Old 02-24-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
If you're "nice" in response, it's taken as encouragement. If you're "not nice," then you're called names and denigrated. Possibly worse.

I got a message from a stranger recently, asking about how I got tickets to see a well-known comedian at a local comedy club. I responded nicely, giving them the information necessary. Then the guy continued to message me, asking personal questions.
No touching or asking personal questions to people you don't know.

Quote:
I ignored the messages because they were inappropriate and unwelcome. Then I got called a few names. So much for that whole "being nice" thing.

I could have just ignored all the messages from the get-go... but I tried to "be nice." It's not as if the messages wrecked me or anything, but they were unnecessary and rude. Why should I feel such a need to "be nice" at this point? You learn that if you give an inch, they'll take a mile. And most young girls learn this from an early age, so we learn to be wary. You just can't predict whether a nice "compliment" or innocuous conversation with a stranger is going to turn into a verbal assault... because most of us have experienced that exact scenario.
I believe you took my statement incorrectly. You were nice. This person was a dick. He wasn't being nice.

Quote:
And as to the question WHY girls would be in the streets? I see girls walking to school every day... sometimes in groups, sometimes alone. They should be able to do so without some random weirdo yelling out his car window. Blame the one committing the acts of bad behavior, not the ones being affected negatively by it.
Absolutely.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:02 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Why is this in the political forum?

Shouldn't this be in a psychology or relationships forum?

Old 02-24-2017, 01:03 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Hard to imagine this sort of thing can even be subject to debate...

More than a few comments make reference to how men would feel if it were their daughter, and that's probably as good a point of reference as any, but I have a daughter, and thankfully, I don't think she experienced as much of this goofy adolescent male behavior as maybe other women have where they grew up. These incidents of sexual abuse, by the uncle or neighbor or whomever are almost impossible to believe, but of course we know that problem exists and all too prevalent. The comment that women generally know how to handle themselves makes me wonder about all I keep reading about all these incidents of harassment, abuse, even assault that go unreported...

Ugh!

But I try to remember that fortunately, there are more good people than bad, or so I like to keep thinking, and we SHOULD fully expect that a young girl can walk the streets without fear, any child for that matter.

Back to the topic of this thread, that catcalling can also be a subject of debate is also testament as to how far we still need to go in order to become a truly civilized society...

Old 02-24-2017, 01:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I didn't say you said to tolerate it. The other post is about how liberals say girls should tolerate men being in their changing rooms. Here it is implied with comments from posters who say those of us who think it's wrong are liberals and feminazis (I am neither) and need to accept that men will be men and such. The people here who say "men will be men" and tell women that's just the way it is are being hypocritical and I'm calling them out on it.

These girls aren't out alone. They are riding their bikes in the neighborhood with friends, standing at the bus stop to go to school, you know, being kids. They shouldn't have to put up with adult men's sexual comments. Do t you agree?
You quoted me and then stated that "Conservatives" say to "tolerate it". I never said that, is why I responded the way I did.

I never said anyone should "tolerate it". And yes, "men will be men". Some guys ARE like that. Not ALL guys are like that. Not even MOST guys are like that. But that doesn't stop feminazi sites like BuzzFeed and HuffPost and others from insinuating that all guys, or even most guys, are like that. That is where I take issue and toss out the statements about feminism. Most females say that guys like this are "scum". Ok, then why do you listen to or care what scum says? Who cares. Consider the source. Why on earth do you care what some scum bag thinks of you or says to you?

As for younger people, at some point, you have to teach your children about these things. If parents want teachers teaching sex ed and homosexuality in schools, then they need to tackle the fact that some people out there are sick Fs who will take advantage if given the opportunity, but that it does not mean that ALL people are out to take advantage. (Remember, there are female predators, as well.) And that when someone says, "You look nice" it's not a GD attack!

I TELL other females that they look nice all the time, if I think they do. So what! SO WHAT! But it's getting to the point that some lunatics out there are even stating that other females "shouldn't be focusing on what someone looks like". Pissed off because I pay someone a compliment? Usually when I do, it's because that color looks so fricken good on them, the words are out of my mouth before I know it. Or that outfit that they are wearing looks great on them, or their haircut that you can tell they just got done looks fantastic....and some people want to stop all of that. From everyone. 'Compliments' are now evil, according to some. They are "oppressive" according to some. To people who think that, **** off.

If a guy says you look great, or if they saw you smile and say, "You have a great smile", it's not a personal attack, they aren't trying to take advantage of you, they aren't lusting after you. When I tell people that they look good, I'm not lusting after them or trying to take advantage of them.

Telling people that they can't compliment others because it's "oppressive" (I swear, these SJWs have no idea what true oppression...or really, anything horrific....is and have to make things up to be the victims that they so desire to be) is going against anything that humans are, naturally. Humans are naturally drawn to that which attracts them, whether it be another person or a beautiful lake, or the ocean, or the starry night sky, or a cute animal, etc. It's not a fricken attack. It's a compliment.

If someone screams something in a car as they drive by, half the time, I can't even figure out wth they just said. Do people not realize that when you are traveling at a speed while another person is not or is traveling at a much slower speed, the sound waves are all jacked up by the time they reach the other person?

You could scream: "I love you" as you drive by, and because of how fast you're traveling, the person who is next to motionless as far as speed will only hear: "I luballooouaaaouea aaaalou".

People walking behind you making comments? Stop walking, let them pass.

Some guy says something as he passes you? So what, move on with your life. Who said you have to stop and react to every single person you see? You don't.

Some guy motions for you to remove your headphones, and you do? Why? What are you taking with you when you jog? You should know where your keys are at all times. You shouldn't have your music up so loud that you can't hear what is going on around you. So why would you need to stop?

I had one guy calling after me as I walked away from a building. I ignored him the entire time, even when he yelled, "You dropped your money". I kept walking. He got NO reaction out of me...as it was clearly all that he wanted. That's all he wanted, a reaction. I did not give it to him. I heard him say, when I didn't even react to his money dropping bit, "Damn!!" because I gave him nothing.

I knew exactly where my money was. I was that confident with myself and everything on me to know better than to fall for that. Still, when I got home, I double checked my money to prove to myself that I was right..and I was. I most certainly did not drop any money, just as I knew I hadn't.

You're wondering what that has to do with anything, perhaps, but it illustrates what I'm talking about. If you are that aware of what you're doing, what others are doing, who you are, what you have, you won't give them the reaction that they want.

At this point someone would jump in and say, "But you see!? You shouldn't have to tolerate that!" There's a LOT of things in this world that we "shouldn't have to" deal with, but we do. We shouldn't have to lose our jobs, but we do. We shouldn't have to deal with aholes who blare their GD bass all day long, but we do. We shouldn't have to put up with an upstairs neighbor stomping around like a prehistoric elephant at 5 am, daily, but we do. We shouldn't have to put up with the overwhelming smell of fish in the meat aisle of the grocery store, but we do. We shouldn't have to put up with morons on the road who don't know how to drive, but we do. We shouldn't have to put with co-workers who pop popcorn in the microwave and burn it every. single. time. but we do. The list goes on. There's all kinds of things we "shouldn't have to" do, but we do. Because this is a society. You take the good with the bad.

Words are only hurtful if you allow them to hurt you. Someone "sssssssss" ing you as you walk down the sidewalk only hurts you if you allow it to hurt you. Someone whistling and implying that you should take your top off only hurts you if you allow it to hurt you. Someone yelling incoherent crap as they drive by is actually more humorous than anything because they are too stupid to realize that no one can understand wtf they are saying....but it only hurts you if you allow it to. Someone saying "your hair is gorgeous, you should wear it up (or down)" is not hurting you, unless you allow it to hurt you.

If you don't care for their opinion, simply say "thank you" and move on. You simply say "I'm not interested" and move on. You simply ignore them and move on. YOU have the power to allow what they say to hurt you or not. They don't have that power unless you give them that power.

No one is physically touching you.

In the end, they simply want a reaction out of you. Stop giving it to them. You will never stop people in society from acting like this. That's what those who say "men will be men" are saying. No, not all men are like this. Not even most men are like this. Some are.

It doesn't matter how many posts you all put up on City Data, or in comments sections to "news" papers, or videos are made, or how many meetings you hold, or how many times you berate people, you will never stop people from thinking how they want to think.

In fact, the more that people push others to conform, the more they push those people to the extremes - where those people more than likely would not have gone before.

As for males in the bathroom...you see this as similar, I don't see it as similar at all. I'm not interested in having a discussion with people (not saying you) who don't even understand basic science to know that there are 2 genders: male and female. It doesn't matter what you "feel like" that day, the parts that you have define who you are regarding which bathroom you use. Claiming that gender is a "social construct" is an oxymoron. Those who deny the fact that there's 2 genders are those who are denying reality.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No touching or asking personal questions to people you don't know.

I believe you took my statement incorrectly. You were nice. This person was a dick. He wasn't being nice.

Absolutely.
I'm sorry, I should have specified. My comments were not directed at you. They were more of a general response.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have specified. My comments were not directed at you. They were more of a general response.
It was I that said to "be nice". Lol

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When they are 15 or older, they should have learned from their parents about their own self worth. Have an open relationship with their parents that they can tell them anything. Have a high self esteem. Frankly, if you're 15 or 16 (or even younger...wth?) walking the streets, I have to wonder about your home life. What 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 year old needs to be walking the streets by themselves? At those ages, you should be studying, going to school, doing school activities involving a group of people.

Why would you be walking the streets by yourself at those ages?
What an absurd comment .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why is this in the political forum?

Shouldn't this be in a psychology or relationships forum?
Being harassed is no aspect of "relationships".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies