Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 08:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It doesn't make it a fact. I've not defended creeps. You seem to be unable to discern a difference in a respectful compliment and a creepy one.
Eh. You're just scrambling to justify your behavior despite he fact that three separate women told you it was unwanted. You don't care what women want you just want to continue making some women uncomfortable. That is distinctly creepy behavior.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've lived in both, as a kid. In bigger cities, no way were we allowed to walk around by ourselves when we were kids. I have lived in mostly big cities as an adult, and I never see kids walking around by themselves unless it's in an apartment complex where they live. If I do see kids, they are in groups usually consisting of 4-5 or more. I do not see young people walking around all by themselves in Miami, in Houston, in the city I live in now. Heck, even when I lived in a smaller area, a generally more safe area in Maine, I still didn't see young kids walking around all by themselves. Heck, even on Halloween I don't see kids walking around for blocks and blocks by themselves. I DO see parents dropping off their kids in a neighborhood, watching their kids trick or treat for that block, and then picking them up.

How many 12, 13, 14, 15, etc year olds are walking around by themselves on the streets of NYC?

As for the military, you don't get to join if you're not 18. I was ready to go as I graduated at 17, but I had to wait until I was 18 before the military would allow me to go.
Many NYC kids go to school, he park, etc. by themselves. Especially in manhattan.

I like in a NYC suburb, preteens and teens walk around by themselves regularly. You are the one who is off base thinking no girl should ever walk anywhere alone.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Catcalling is wrong, nothing more to discuss.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh. You're just scrambling to justify your behavior despite he fact that three separate women told you it was unwanted. You don't care what women want you just want to continue making some women uncomfortable. That is distinctly creepy behavior.
I don't have to justify being nice to people......or at least I shouldn't have to. I had this same discussion years ago when we were told it was offensive to hold a door open for others.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Catcalling. is. sexual. harassment.

I expect some people on CD have done it, even if they won't admit to it. So let's get this straight: wolf-whistling as I walk past doesn't make me feel flattered, it makes me feel violated and gross. Yelling "heyy lady!!" as you ride past me on your bicycle doesn't make me want to sleep with you, it makes me want to punt you into traffic. Asking me if my ******* are cold doesn't make me think you're so witty and funny, it makes me want to knock you off your bike. Telling me to "smile, you're pretty" doesn't make me feel pretty, it makes me feel self-conscious about how I look and reinforces the notion that a woman's only value lies in her appearance. Beeping at me as you drive past just scares me.
this almost sounds like stuff out of a movie

but hey, i'll take your word for it that it happens

Old 02-25-2017, 08:32 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
so....let me ask all you liberal feminists this....if you were walking down the street and a guy walking past just casual said to you "hey good looking, how are you?" and kept going, what would you consider that??? Is that harassment?

another question....should men and only men be socially re engineered?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
so....let me ask all you liberal feminists this....if you were walking down the street and a guy walking past just casual said to you "hey good looking, how are you?" and kept going, what would you consider that??? Is that harassment?

I'm not liberal, but I'll chime in. I'd think it was weird and unproductive. What's the point of a conversation starter and walking on? But it's harmless and it's not catcalling if that's what you're asking (because it's not lewd). Oh, and depending on where I was and how the man was dressed, I might assume he's homeless and looking for money (because that's a line homeless people use--flattery. It must work because they do it a lot. They also will say "God bless" a lot for what it's worth.

I also don't think anyone should be socially engineered, but I do think people should act like adults and treat each other with the respect they want or they want for their loved ones. And if they can't act like adults, I think it's perfectly acceptable for others to be critical of them for acting juvenile.

Last edited by BellaLind; 02-25-2017 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 AM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
This is the crux of it. Western society now espouses the idea that women can do no wrong, and men must accept them as they are no matter what. Women complain about a glass ceiling but have no problem ignoring a glass cellar. Women want to be equal but not when it's detrimental to them.

I remember the controversy when 'Gone Girl' came out; it was derided as a misogynistic hate film, despite the book being written by a woman. She basically summed it up with "we can't say that women can do anything men can do, but not do anything bad that men do."

Do I agree with catcalling? No. I don't do it either. But neither do I think it's some evil oppressive thing.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
based on recent events I'm now more aware this is actually a huge problem, but for the life of me I have rarely ever witnessed it living in NYC, with one exception. I would say that 99% of the catcalling I've witnessed come from black men to mostly black women. I have NEVER seen a white, or asian male doing it.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:28 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The video presented in the OP, I've seen it a few times. It's ridiculous. Look at who is saying that stuff to her. Who cares what they think. You don't see any nicely dressed people saying that to her, so you have to consider the source, as I continue to state.
OMG! LOL! Hahahahah...

Seems one ridiculous video deserves another!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies