Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,016,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I don't even know the guy's personal information. All I know is that the articles are typically well sourced and give a broad overview of possible risk factors in the markets.

A "1 In 10,000 Year Event": JPM Head Quant Explains Why The S&P Refuses To Sell Off | Zero Hedge

What about that article infuriates you?

If anything, it highlights the absurdity of the markets. Quite a fat tail.

Personally, I like to look at numbers. Like the say, numbers don't lie. Zero Hedge gives you numbers. What's the problem?
I don't think ZH is a bad site. They print lot of stuff from all the sides. But their aim is to go against wall street establishment and doom mongering when it comes to stock market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 AM

29,887 posts, read 11,487,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Nixon also said that the media was the enemy and look what happened to him.
Worse things have been done by more beloved presidents:

Abe Lincoln:

Abraham Lincoln: Executive Order—Arrest and Imprisonment of Irresponsible Newspaper Reporters and Editors

Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,174,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
I don't think ZH is a bad site. They print lot of stuff from all the sides. But their aim is to go against wall street establishment and doom mongering when it comes to stock market.
Zero Hedge is definitely bearish, but that's because guys like this:

Dr. Marko Kolanovic is the Global Head of Derivative and Quantitative Strategies and Senior Analyst at JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division. He is responsible for global equity derivatives and delta one strategy at the firm. Previously, Dr. Kolanovic was a Research Analyst at BofA Merrill Lynch, Research Division. Prior to joining J.P. Morgan, Dr. Kolanovic was Head of Derivatives and Quantitative Equity Strategies at Bear Stearns, where he built and managed New York, London and Hong Kong trading strategy teams. Previously, he was a Derivatives Research Analyst at BofA Merrill Lynch, Research Division, where he worked on equity-linked hedge fund trading strategies. Dr. Kolanovic’s trading methods have been implemented by major hedge funds and his expertise has been used by major investment offices around the world. His work is frequently quoted in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Barron's, and others. Dr. Kolanovic has developed a number of scientific theories/models, has authored top-cited research publications, and is the winner of numerous excellence awards. He graduated from New York University with a PhD in theoretical high-energy physics.

Are saying this:

"The fact that we see this type of behavior demonstrates market inefficiency..."

When this is still taught in top business schools:

The efficient market hypothesis (EMH) is an investment theory that states it is impossible to "beat the market" because stock market efficiency causes existing share prices to always incorporate and reflect all relevant information.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,754,352 times
Quote:
I don't even know the guy's personal information. All I know is that the articles are typically well sourced and give a broad overview of possible risk factors in the markets.

A "1 In 10,000 Year Event": JPM Head Quant Explains Why The S&P Refuses To Sell Off | Zero Hedge

What about that article infuriates you?

If anything, it highlights the absurdity of the markets. Quite a fat tail.

Personally, I like to look at numbers. Like the say, numbers don't lie. Zero Hedge gives you numbers. What's the problem?
Who's Tyler Durden? If the people posting on the site can't even use their real names, but hide behind an anonymous alias, I don't trust the article. It's not a matter of infuriating me. I'm not infuriated at all. I'm pointing out that Zero Hedge was founded by someone with a dubious reputation, and that Tyler Durden isn't a real person, but a made-up alias.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,616,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Nice link NPR Try getting into the real world and speak to emergency doctors about botched abortions and loss of life. Planned Parenthood should be about education, birth control and helping young people to understand the burden of getting pregnant. I support PP and I am not against some procedures of abortion, but to ignore some of these places are criminal that is on you!

Like I said, most of you who support them have never even stepped into one of these places, but shout "it's a woman's right!" It's a women's right to know her life is not in danger when something goes wrong. It's a women's right to know how far along she is and if that baby is full grown or still an egg, its her right to know this!

These places have no doctor and when it goes bad, they take them to the emergency room. I wonder how many die before making it there. Out of common decency can anyone once think about what a woman goes through after an abortion, most act like abortion is a day at the mall.

Like idiots who wear shirts saying I wish I had an abortion......disgraceful!
On what, exactly, are you basing this conclusion?

Seriously, I would like to see some quantitative data to prove that this is the case.
You don't know me.
You have no idea about MY life experiences so don't pretend that you do.

As for the rest of that hyperbole, again, how have you concluded that women who choose to have abortions do not know how far along they are or how developed is their fetus?
Do you really believe that little of women in general to subscribe this level of ignorance to each and every one?

Really?

Again, let's see some proof that PP withholds this information from their clients and for what purposes.

The fact is that most first trimester abortions ARE no more deleterious to a woman's health than going to the dentist. Probably less so all things considered.

This need to fashion first, some sort of conspiracy, and second, outright lies about the risks of the procedure, suggests a rather manic defensiveness in the face of actual reality.
But I guess that's the usual MO right? if the facts won't cooperate, lie, project and make sh*t up.
Just like James O'Keefe.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who's Tyler Durden? If the people posting on the site can't even use their real names, but hide behind an anonymous alias, I don't trust the article. It's not a matter of infuriating me. I'm not infuriated at all. I'm pointing out that Zero Hedge was founded by someone with a dubious reputation, and that Tyler Durden isn't a real person, but a made-up alias.
Honestly, I don't care who he is.

I read Zero Hedge for articles like this:

JPM's Kolanovic: Volatility Is About To Return, Could Lead To "Accidents" | Zero Hedge

If you read the content of that article, you'll notice that the writer merely summarizes Kolanovic's statements in a way that is easy to read. For people who are concerned with volatility, like me, can you recommend any other websites that aggregate top level quant's narratives on this subject?

I don't know who Tyler Durden is nor if it is one person. I imagine that there are several writers that post under the alias of Tyler Durden, but I don't find it particularly relevant as long as the information meets my expectation.

Here is an article that came out today.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...s-hiking-rates

Is there anything in particular about this article that you find bias or misleading? As you can see, it was written by a Tyler Durden.

You should understand, this is your reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyjnEm8DZkI

You can choose to be oblivious to the truth based on what people on the MSM tell you on how you should think or what information is relevant, or you can look at the numbers and come up with your own narrative of the truth.

Zero Hedge provides me with numbers. I prefer to come up with my own narratives of what is happening based on my education and experiences. They used to call that critical thinking.

Last edited by Jobster; 02-23-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 08:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,086,696 times
I'm just posting this to laugh at OP for taking anything James O'Keefe says to be true. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,754,352 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don't care who he is.

I read Zero Hedge for articles like this:

JPM's Kolanovic: Volatility Is About To Return, Could Lead To "Accidents" | Zero Hedge

If you read the content of that article, you'll notice that the writer merely summarizes Kolanovic's statements in a way that is easy to read. For people who are concerned with volatility, like me, can you recommend any other websites that aggregate top level quant's narratives on this subject?

I don't know who Tyler Durden is nor if it is one person. I imagine that there are several writers that post under the alias of Tyler Durden, but I don't find it particularly relevant as long as the information meets my expectation.

Here is an article that came out today.

Bundesbank Prepares For Record Losses Once ECB Starts Hiking Rates | Zero Hedge

Is there anything in particular about this article that you find bias or misleading? As you can see, it was written by a Tyler Durden.
You don't care that these people won't post articles under their own names?

As for bias, Zero Hedge is consistently pro-Hezbollah, pro-Russian, and advocates bear positions on the market. Those factors indeed make the site biased.

And I don't knock you for reading Zero Hedge, at all. I read a plethora of different news sites, and I think it's important to read from different sites, because every site is biased to a degree. I just think it's important to understand the nature of the bias. And I tend to trust writers who don't hide behind aliases more than I trust those who do, particularly when it comes to economics where I have to wonder why would someone use an alias.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You don't care that these people won't post articles under their own names?

As for bias, Zero Hedge is consistently pro-Hezbollah, pro-Russian, and advocates bear positions on the market. Those factors indeed make the site biased.
I tend not to read opinion pieces. My main concern is risk assessment.

In the articles I provided, there is some bias, particularly based off the expectations of the models utilized to measure risk, but it offers enough information to create my own opinion.

I don't get caught up in the emotional stuff. If you do, that's your loss because you lose out on a gold mine of information, if you are truly interested in what's really going on in your country.

If you don't care or you don't understand the information, don't be surprised when you're blind-sided by a "black swan" event.

I think you might be getting too emotionally attached to what the media tells you to think or do. It's up to you to determine if a report is biased and whether or not you agree with it.

Even AI will be biased because it will base its responses off of statistical correlations. There is bias in everything.

To address your last statement about economics, what about the articles I posted did you find to be not factually correct? Zero Hedge is heavily sourced.

Those numbers were not made up, and both of those articles, there was very little opinion provided by the author. So who cares who submits the articles?-

Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 AM

7,816 posts, read 4,529,887 times
Looking forward to seeing the tape. I sure hope O'Keefe wears his "Kramer" pimp outfit again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies