Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,631,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I guess you don't get how stats work. 28% means 28% and no amount of blather changes that.
Guess you can't pick up sarcasm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:36 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,890,956 times
RESEARCH REPORT -DO LARGE EMPLOYERS TREAT RACIAL MINORITIES MORE FAIRLY? A NEW ANALYSIS OF CANADIAN FIELD EXPERIMENT DATA

There is the research. They make a LARGE amount of assumptions and do not account for all the variables.

Garbage in... Garbage out.

This is a manufactured activist research paper.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,700,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I would guess it has more to do with a worry of not being able to pronounce the name correctly or to properly understand the person more than it does with racism. I know I often have difficulty understanding some foreign folks. And I am forever asking them to repeat themselves. Guess I'm racist.
If an HR rejected an applicant just because s/he is not sure how to pronounce the name, should s/he be fired?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 PM

37,940 posts, read 17,756,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
RESEARCH REPORT -DO LARGE EMPLOYERS TREAT RACIAL MINORITIES MORE FAIRLY? A NEW ANALYSIS OF CANADIAN FIELD EXPERIMENT DATA

There is the research. They make a LARGE amount of assumptions and do not account for all the variables.

Garbage in... Garbage out.

This is a manufactured activist research paper.
Can't be taking the thought process to the next level and include variables and stuff. That would make it more meaningful and ruin it for all the knee jerk demonizers.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,446,039 times
Quote:
I would guess it has more to do with a worry of not being able to pronounce the name correctly or to properly understand the person more than it does with racism. I know I often have difficulty understanding some foreign folks. And I am forever asking them to repeat themselves. Guess I'm racist.
The excuses are unlimited to support racism.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,140,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If an HR rejected an applicant just because s/he is not sure how to pronounce the name, should s/he be fired?

I suppose there are many who think they should. I'm not one of them.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,140,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The excuses are unlimited to support racism.

It's racist to be concerned that a foreign name could be mispronounced? Wow. I must be the only person on the planet who didn't know that.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:16 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,016,891 times
I'd be curious to know if there was any correlation between the types of jobs being offered.

For example, If you're hiring people to communicate with customers and have had a number of applicants with poor English skills I could see how they might rule people out based upon ethnicity (not saying it's right)....but in that case it's not racism driving the decision. If it's for a job like a fork lift operator then I can't see anything a name could imply that would likely impact job performance.

Of course I don't doubt that there are absolutely racists out there imputing their biases into the processes but it would be interested to see how robust the study was and any insights beyond a single percentage might be gained.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 PM

77,855 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Those darn black managers and their black privilege
Weird that you guys are jumping on that train considering that those are two groups that I've seen have some of the worst racial attitudes about each other in recent years.

Not sure what point is being lost there, I really hope you guys aren't pushing the "only white people can be racist" meme I've heard many times over the years.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:26 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,087,209 times
Quote:
It's racist to be concerned that a foreign name could be mispronounced? Wow. I must be the only person on the planet who didn't know that.
It is racist if the fear of mispronouncing someone's name prevents you from giving them a chance.

When I was picking through resumes looking for candidates to interview last year, I tried particularly hard not to discriminate based on their names. And let me tell you, there were names that looked like it came from Mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies