Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There are also checkpoints checking for D/L, insurance cards and registration.

Give up. You are badly losing this argument both legally and constitutional grounds.
Which state does this? I have lived in about 10 of them and have never seen a checkpoint like this.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There are also checkpoints checking for D/L, insurance cards and registration.

Give up. You are badly losing this argument both legally and constitutional grounds.
The SCOTUS ruling you are trying to offer is for DUI checkpoints, and you know it. Their argument was that such search was reasonable given the fact that drunken drivers pose a serious danger to fellow motorists.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You're constantly saying silly things. Why is it constitutional to ask for ID on departure, but it is unconstitutional to ask for ID upon arrival?
It is reasonable to make sure you are not letting a known terrorist onto a flight.

After 9/11 I would have thought even a child would understand that.

However, after the plane already has landed the possibility of a hijacking no longer exists, and therefore the search becomes unreasonable.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Somehow I'm missing the gas chambers and crematoria in this "Nazi State."

Old 02-24-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Which state does this? I have lived in about 10 of them and have never seen a checkpoint like this.
Neither have I. Nor have I ever heard of such things.

I think some people are OK with any kind of search for whatever reason, in whatever location, including your own home.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Old 02-25-2017, 11:09 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is reasonable to make sure you are not letting a known terrorist onto a flight.
But is that the only reason the government ever checks ID's?

In any case, the question is whether or not this was an "unreasonable search". The courts have established that it is not an unreasonable search.

The police can force almost anyone to show their ID, for almost any reason, especially when they are in public. I mean, what do you think the "stop and frisk" laws were?

You act like this is new, or is part of some Trump crackdown on illegal immigrants.

This has been going on for decades, and has even been supported by very liberal New York City.

There probably became evidence, sometime after the people boarded the flight, that one of the people who boarded was a fugitive(IE had broken a law). And law enforcement(in this case, immigration enforcement) was looking for the fugitive.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 02-25-2017 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-25-2017, 11:37 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
My state sets up these checkpoints all the time. Usually they are located on roads in such a way, that by the time you see them, there is no way to can "turn off" the road, and are thus forced to go through them(if you try to turn off/turn around, they send someone after you).

Most of the time they are set up during holiday weekends to look for drunk drivers. But they always ask for Driver's license/insurance as well.

In any case, I'm sure you've watched the movies where the police are looking for a fugitive, and they setup checkpoints all around the area where they think the fugitive might be. They will stop every car, ask for identification, and they could probably even do a limited search of the vehicle.

The question isn't honestly whether the police should have the power to force people to show their ID in the case that they believe there is a fugitive on a plane.

The real question is simply, what are the standards required? Everyone would agree that roadblocks are acceptable in the case of a murderer, or an escaped prisoner. And with the Boston Bombers, they were searching every single house, throughout entire neighborhoods.

In most states, the police can already force you to show your ID if there is any suspicion that you have committed a crime, or that you might intend to commit a crime(IE stop and frisk).

This whole debate is about what we individually feel is reasonable or unreasonable. The more radical among us, probably feel like the police never have the right to ask for ID, unless they have a warrant. While the bootlickers among us, probably think the police have an almost-unlimited right to ID you.

Who is right? I don't really know. But I've been "stopped while walking" three times. Every time was at night, and the police always claim that the reason they stopped me was because there have been burglaries in the area.

Did they have the right to stop me? By law, and the courts, they did. I thought it was pretty annoying at the time. But I can understand why they would do it. I don't think they had any malice against me.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 PM

716 posts, read 393,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
If this is true, we should be all kissing our civil liberties goodbye and arming ourselves to the teeth:

Customs agents check IDs of domestic flight passengers at JFK - NY Daily News
Your papers are not in oooooorder...

Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
If this is true, we should be all kissing our civil liberties goodbye and arming ourselves to the teeth:

Customs agents check IDs of domestic flight passengers at JFK - NY Daily News

Damn! You liberals are so paranoid it is pitiful. Why not check the reason something is done before hitting the panic button? I know it is hard for liberals to think clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies