Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 03:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"If you want actual statistics, the average temperature across the Earth's surface last year was 58.69 degrees which is 1.69 degrees above average, a record breaking margin, according to NOAA."

Sorry, a 1 year occurrence is NOT a trend.

"I don't know what more proof climate change deniers want. There is a lot of "evidence" so apparently that isn't enough. I mean, let's see."

MOST of the evidence is from 1 article (as stated on another post before this one.)

There is plenty of evidence to counter the idea also.

I don't think many believe that the earth CANNOT get warmer and cooler.

We DID have an "Ice" age and the "Melting" age.

Do you think man caused the ice age? And the "Melting" age.

The BIG question is, IS MAN CAUSING this "warming" trend?

MANY scientist are NOT in agreement on this question.

Most climate scientists are in agreement so what if a chemist who works on a totally uninvolved field does not. So I think of the ten warmest years in the historical data, eight or nine have been since 1998 and the last three or four are the warmest so I think it is wrong to claim that there is not a trend. 1998 was exceptionally warm and when 1999 and 2000 were cooler the deniers made the claim that the earth was cooling, a claim I have read as recently as two months ago even though 8 years since 1998 were warmer then that year they still claim that the earth is cooling or as do that there is not trend because of one year.

As far as evidence goes

record amount of multi year sea ice melt and resulting in open ocean. The deniers come back with because the multi year ice is gone and there is more open ocean to freeze that this new ice which only lasts the one year is proof that climate change is not happening

NASA satelittle images

The shrinking of glaciers which will be very probametic for those of us who actually obtain much of our drinking water from them.

The melting of permafrost

Plant phenology the date that plants flower are trending earlier and earlier

Bird migration to the north is starting earlier and to the south later and more birds not migrating at all

Ice thickness Antarctica and Greenland

Observations from native populations

Ocean temperatures and acidity are increasing

Upper atmosphere

The fact that there have been warmer and cooler periods in the past does not mean that they are 100 percent natural and that man can have no influence on them. There was a time that man did not think he could pollute the rivers, lakes and oceans however who really believes that now a days.

I left out weather stations of course as the is always the accusation that they are false, or that those who read them are crooked and in on this big conspiracy without any evidence that there is a worldwide conspiracy

And of course there are the computer models. It is interesting that when Mann presented his computer model with three likely outcomes that the deniers picked on the one that was both the most severe and the most unlikely in Mann's own opinion and mock the global warming scientists because it did not pan out as predicted while ignoring the most likely one altogether.

I am sorry but those who deny climate change, at least those who are involved in promoting it as a hoax put out a lot of false claims much of which has already been debunked. Outside of the US there are lots of people considered conservatives who agree with the data or at least with the scientists. Where I live many do not because they work in the oil field and others deny it because they are against any government regulations.

But to claim that all the data comes from one source is a outright misrepresentation of the evidence throughout the world. On a aside climate change refers not to only the rising of global average temperatures but what happens when that additional energy is put into the atmosphere in ways of more frequent and more severe storms.

And it is not that we had a ice age in the past, we had many of them and we are probably in a interglacial period right now. Much of that information comes from the same scientists whose work is considered a fraud by the deniers. When I say deniers I mean those running the web sites and paying off politicians not necessary the people who prefer to believe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 AM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
More evidence... The world's oceans are warming 13 per cent faster than scientists previously thought, a study has warned. The warming rate from 1992 was found to be almost twice as great as the warming rate from 1960.

Scientists are concerned by such an increase, as 90 per cent of the extra heat absorbed by greenhouse gasses ends up in the ocean, meaning it is considered one of the most important measurements of global warming. "Additionally 2015 was a year with record hurricanes, heat waves, droughts, and wild-fires around the world."

World's oceans are warming 13% faster than previously thought, scientists warn | The Independent

Old 03-12-2017, 02:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Tremendously good news for my personal environment (cheap gasoline and low home heating costs):

Massive oil discovery in Alaska is biggest onshore find in 30 years - Mar. 10, 2017

Let's drill!

Old 03-12-2017, 03:53 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
More evidence... The world's oceans are warming 13 per cent faster than scientists previously thought, a study has warned. The warming rate from 1992 was found to be almost twice as great as the warming rate from 1960.

Scientists are concerned by such an increase, as 90 per cent of the extra heat absorbed by greenhouse gasses ends up in the ocean, meaning it is considered one of the most important measurements of global warming. "Additionally 2015 was a year with record hurricanes, heat waves, droughts, and wild-fires around the world."

World's oceans are warming 13% faster than previously thought, scientists warn | The Independent
Really? You are citing "hurricanes, heat waves, droughts?"

I knew you'd guys fall back to claiming weather is climate. After years of telling everyone that weather is not climate? For a decade and a half of "the pause" where you could not point to any warming, and switched your language from "global warming" to "climate change," now you are the ones claiming weather is climate.

Whatever, go toss your virgins in the volcano because humans made the fire god angry.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
how about this:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/01/...te-2-0-emails/

There are so many I don't even know where to begin.

You can dismiss the source, but the emails can be verified easily.

No run along, I hear the are filming the next 1010.org video, you can take part in blowing up children for the sake of climate change!!! Whoopie!!! /sarc

Shhhhhh!!!

You aren't supposed to give them evidence that destroys their entire argument! That's just Meanie McMean type stuff.

Don't you understand they need to be coddled, given their favorite Binkie then provided a "Safe Space" before you slam their utopian anti-capitalism plans?

No good can possibly come from your dastardly "in your face" styled facts that contradict their entire faith based religion of catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW or AGW) because it will surely cause them to have hissy fits, throw tantrums, then start accusing you of using a site they don't like or that you somehow haven't provided any evidence that contradicts their religion... errr, science.

Wow. I was living in the stone ages where I was still looking up the emails via the keyword search database they made. This link, combined with the database search link to verify every email, is a proverbial nail in the coffin. How on earth did I miss this page before today?

Four runs scored on that grand slam you just hit, not only out of the park, but out of the entire state. That ball is going, going, going... GONE! Better start testing for steroids because that hit makes Big Mac, Mark McGwire's hits appear pathetic.

Breaking news... NASA declares a new moon orbiting earth. It looks just like the CAGW/AGW baseball smacked out of the park by NxtGen.

Great post!

Last edited by KS_Referee; 03-12-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 04:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Wow... This single email is so damning, proving willful and intentional collusion beyond a shadow of doubt, it's a wonder these lying sacks of scum aren't spending the rest of their pathetic lives in prison for the fraud they have perpetrated.

Tom Nelson: ClimateGate email: Warmist Tom Wigley proposes fudging temperature data by .15 degrees C

Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

I knew you'd guys fall back to claiming weather is climate. After years of telling everyone that weather is not climate? For a decade and a half of "the pause" where you could not point to any warming, and switched your language from "global warming" to "climate change," now you are the ones claiming weather is climate.

Whatever, go toss your virgins in the volcano because humans made the fire god angry.
I'm not citing anything....I'm merely passing on news related to the topic of this thread....Unlike you I rely on science and observations for my facts.....You on the other hand rely on blogs and hearsay for your "alternate facts", such as your mythological pause.

By the way apparently you do not understand that the term climate change preceded global warming....In any case they describe different things....It is global warming that is causing the climate to change....

Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Wow... This single email is so damning, proving willful and intentional collusion beyond a shadow of doubt, it's a wonder these lying sacks of scum aren't spending the rest of their pathetic lives in prison for the fraud they have perpetrated.

Tom Nelson: ClimateGate email: Warmist Tom Wigley proposes fudging temperature data by .15 degrees C
This lie again? Guess what....The earth continues to warm, and the climate is still changing as a result.....As long as you deniers cite blogs instead of science you lack credibility.

Debunking Misinformation About Stolen Climate Emails in the "Climategate" Manufactured Controversy | Union of Concerned Scientists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...il_controversy

Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
It's pretty simple....

All those greenhouse gases we are emitting took hundreds of millions of years to form and are being released in significant numbers in a geologically short time frame (150 years). Apparently this doesn't alter the climate but significant geologic activity does.....

We are affecting the climate without a shred of doubt, we just don't have a grasp on the severity and timeline of the consequences.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Global warming increases evaporation rates, which should make droughts more common. A warmer atmosphere can also hold more water vapor, so heavy rainfall events should also become more common.

One heat wave, flood, or drought is not evidence for global warming (just like how one cold snap is not evidence against global warming). But an increase in the number of heat waves, floods, and droughts most certainly is evidence for global warming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies