Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US become an Associate Member of the Commonwealth???
Yes 8 21.05%
No 27 71.05%
Not Sure 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

The United States is a former British colony, and is part of the Anglosphere world, and share cultural similarities with Canada, Britain, and Australia. I don't see the US being a full member, but an Associate member would be interesting and can probably boost cohesion with member states if the US joins the commonwealth. Remember the commonwealth is just an organization, and the republics in the commonwealth make their own choices and it has nothing to do with the weakening British monarch which has been loosing colonies from 1783, to 1997. And to he honest. The US is the leader of the Angloshere world, and not Great Britain. Remember Britain ceded over the British Empire to its former colony the United States during the Bretton Woods agreement. If it was me, I would not mind creating an Anglo/Saxon organization with Britain, Canada, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand which cooperates on economic trade policy, and military security. I would not include any other British colony because they are not culturally British, example India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Kenya, Guyana, Sri Lanka, Ghana, Nigeria, Fiji and so on. Associate members can include Jamaica, Barbados and even Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hadda tweak ya a bit and you didnt go for it.

I feel for our military, duty stations outside of the US are less and less cool places to be stationed.
I don't mind the Americans, and the USAF always had some amazing aircraft.

I think the UK is probably a decent enough posting if you are in the USAF, London is not too far away and you can hop on a Eurostar train and explore Europe or go via budget airlines, who usually have some very cheap flights.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
WTF?

The common wealth would not accept the USA as member, not even close. NOT ON YOUR NELLIE.

While it is all good fun , right now the USA's reputation is at it's lowest since the Vietnam war. Nobody wants to be associated with Trump's America.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I don't mind. I'm ready to apologize to the Queen for the whole 1776 thing and ask if she'll take me back as a descendent of the Commonwealth.
I am sure she would be happy to take you back, in fact I have a feeling she would rather be meeting with you later this year than with Donald Trump.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure she would be happy to take you back, in fact I have a feeling she would rather be meeting with you later this year than with Donald Trump.
I've actually been trying to find a way to move to the UK or a Commonwealth lately, but I'm not in a high skilled profession, so there is no way for me to get there.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Try reading the articles.

The prospect of the US becoming a so-called "associate member" of the Commonwealth has been raised as the Royal Commonwealth Society makes plans to open a branch in the country.

yeah, that's not the same as an offer being made.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
I don't mind the Americans, and the USAF always had some amazing aircraft.

I think the UK is probably a decent enough posting if you are in the USAF, London is not too far away and you can hop on a Eurostar train and explore Europe or go via budget airlines, who usually have some very cheap flights.
I was lucky enough to land an exchange posting from the U.S. Army to Lulworth Camp, in Dorset. Beautiful area. Loved all three years there.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
yeah, that's not the same as an offer being made.
Michael Lake reportedly wrote a letter to the new Donald Trump-led US administration to gauge interest in the plan towards the end of last year.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I was lucky enough to land an exchange posting from the U.S. Army to Lulworth Camp, in Dorset. Beautiful area. Loved all three years there.

Dorset is a nice part of the world, with a nice coastline.

It's good that such exchange postings exist, as it's good to gain experience from each others military forces.

Lulwoth is part of Bovington Camp, which is armoured vehicles.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Right now I don't see an 'associate member' category for the Commonwealth available at all for the US TO join. All member states would have to convene and vote on that as a new category I would guess - and define what that might mean. Right now, all member states have equal voting power .. so look at the all the African and Asian nations who may not be on our good list right now and tell me what the chances of a fair hearing there might be. And according to the Edinburgh convention, members must have either constitutional or administrative ties to a member state to be considered for membership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common...rship_criteria

I am British, Canadian and American - and I vote nope (from the American perspective part of me) .. not a great idea. We should just have our own trading (and any other needed) associations with Britain directly.

As a Canadian, I have liked the idea of our continuing association with Britain as part of the Commonwealth (though I don't really think we have any great advantages for that status - it is more emotional than anything I think, at least for me).

That said, I am also not too happy that politics have snuck into idea of the Commonwealth association over the years - and I see that as a negative for both Canada and Britain, especially since all member states have full voting rights and the member states include a lot of 'iffy countries' these days so I see it is and may grow further to be too much like the UN where tiny countries who supposedly have to abide by human rights dictates of the group begin to take over as heads of committees etc. and change the rules under our noses or continue to commit/tolerate gross indecencies and refuse to acknowledge them because they are 'in charge'.

Granted a number of countries have been kicked out of the Commonwealth for not abiding by human rights requirements (Pakistan and Zimbabwe among them) but I am not sure we can count on there not being a slippery slope as there has been with the UN. We might only become an 'associate member' whatever that may mean but I think we are much better off to do only direct individual associations with individual countries - this groupthink thing too often backfires politically it seems.

For America in particular, this (potential proposal) seems like too much of an 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' situation and not generally in our interests at all .. and frankly, of little consequence or advantage to our dealings with Britain or Canada either. It is more likely that the smaller nations in the Commonwealth community will be the ones to push for and take advantage of any form of US association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies