Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I remember a rather early episode of The Simpsons (probably first 5 years), in which they showed Bart at some mall, with every other store being a Starbucks. He went into a tattoo parlor, and coming out, it had changed to a Starbucks and he was sipping coffee. Of course, they were 'kidding', but no one is laughing now (at least, those of us that like good coffee).
In Houston, at one time there was an intersection with a Starbucks on three of its four corners.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...ur-1745816.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
I feel that in a free market economy, if Starbucks wants to hire refugees over the struggling American citizen that usually goes for that sort of job, let them go ahead. That's capitalism.

But then, we as free consumers in a capitalist free market can decide to support their corporate model and decisions or not. Personally, I go to an independant roaster/coffeeshop. 16 oz. for $1 if you bring your own cup. All money generated stays right in my neighborhood, too.

I prefer to see American citizens employed first, but on the other hand, since I have no say in whether we have refugees or not, I'd rather have them working than just sitting around on welfare becoming resentful or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I lived in Europe and people really hate the arrival of a starbucks, sort of the first sign of american style gentrification I guess. There is such an amazing cafe culture in Vienna, Italy, France etc with bohemia and cafes and beautiful coffeehouses. Starbucks seems to embody that bland corporate liberalism, crappy albums and a total rip off of italian culture, sort of sums up the sad excuse for the whole corporate liberal culture in america
I find it crazy that people in Italy or Austria would patronize Starbucks, but they do. I have been to Starbucks in Barcelona and Paris to use Wi-Fi and expected to see only tourists in there. Nope. Mostly locals, mostly under 30.

European economies are subject to freemarket forces, too (despite the deafening refrains of American conservative ideologues, "They're SOCAILIIIIIIISTS!!!")

Like McDonalds and other American brands have, Starbucks will probably carve a niche in Europe but likely not supplant local coffee culture.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
After forfeiting over a million in property for fines, the owner of a donut company who ran their warehouse with illegals is doing great. The illegals were living on the property. The supervisor was so brazen in his harassment, illegals filed a complaint with with the EEOC.

The owner just claimed the supervisor his family had used for 25 years did it and they knew nothing about it. Got man of year the soon after. The business is doing great.
And some silly wall isn't going to stop illegals as long as they can come here and make $$$ to send home. The people who hire them should be jailed.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:31 AM

11,989 posts, read 5,269,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In Houston, at one time there was an intersection with a Starbucks on three of its four corners.

Reminds me of the Stephen Colbert bit where he had 2 competing Starbucks under his desk.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Black Rifle is a tiny company that got a little attention for saying something preposterous. They've got about 50 employees.

Meanwhile Starbucks committed to hiring 10,000 vets and has already hired about 8,000.

So the company that commits to hiring vets and actually does so gets vilified while the company that commits to hiring 10,000 vets but isn't even remotely in a position to do so gets rewarded with praise and attention.

Of course right wingers won't be happy until there's a Whites Only sign hanging in the window of every Starbucks.
Many us already knew that the so-called love for the military espoused by many on the right was just so much BS.
They have no use for the military, veterans or active-duty service-members unless they think they can use them to bludgeon the left.
Look at the glee expressed in the thread about the day care closings.

They have to know that Black Rifle is in no position to hire 10,000 vets, hence their support.
If Black Rifle is ever in the position to fulfill this promise, they'll lose interest in a hot minute.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I feel that in a free market economy, if Starbucks wants to hire refugees over the struggling American citizen that usually goes for that sort of job, let them go ahead. That's capitalism....

You realize that Starbucks is a global company, yes? Have you seen anything that said how many of these refugee jobs were going to be US-based? I haven't.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

The major intersection nearest to my home currently has a Starbucks on three of four corners.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,713,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Good PR is all that matters. Most people do not give a durn about where it comes from or who made it or who owners employ. If the PR is good and the price is right, products sell.

Nobody cares if 3/4 of the stuff they buy at the grocery store is foreign owned. Most don't know and don't care.

Nobody cares if the crap they buy is made by slaves or prisoners, and much is.

Starbucks 5.00 coffee is status for people without much money. The millionaire next door goes to McDonalds or Dunkin.
Exactly. Warren Buffet does not drink Starbucks coffee. He still carries coupons for McDonalds.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:55 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Exactly. Warren Buffet does not drink Starbucks coffee. He still carries coupons for McDonalds.
If I was a millionaire I would never go to McDonalds for coffee. Actually, I don't go to McDonalds now. I hate that place.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM

52,622 posts, read 47,825,177 times
As much as I love Starbucks lattes and house blends, this downward spiral is what Schultz deserves right now. He is endangering his franchise by giving undeserving illegals and potential terrorists opportunities for success instead of legal citizens who really want to get somewhere in life and make a difference. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies