Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building a wall along the entire U.S.-Mexico border?
Yes, I support building the border wall. 54 54.55%
No, I do not support building the border wall. 38 38.38%
I support building only a partial border wall. 7 7.07%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:14 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's a 14 mile section of wall, seems like a short distance to travel to make an end run, kinda like a Latin America Maginot Line. I have to wonder if it actually reduced the number of illegals or just shifted their crossing points.

I have little faith a wall works as long as the reason they come here ($$$) still exists. And a wall's not gonna stop tunnels, boats, aircraft, or dynamite.

Me thinks thou dost protest too much and it's based on an agenda. That's the point, build the wall along the most porous areas of the border and they will be forced to try and enter thru more dangerous and difficult areas. Fewer will try and the Border Patrol can patrol those areas. No one is saying that the wall will be 100% effective but it has been very effective where it has been built. Shouldn't we try to deter as many as we can? Better to stop them at the border than to allow them to get in here where they are harder to root out and all the ensuing costs of removing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I support increased patrols along the border but the wall doesn't stop the main source of illegal immigration: people who come legally and illegally overstay.

Visa over stayers are not our main source of illegal immigration. They only make up 40% of the illegals here and that is an issue that needs to be addressed separately. The wall will stop many of the 60% who are just border jumpers. It's already been proven to work.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:48 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Visa over stayers are not our main source of illegal immigration. They only make up 40% of the illegals here and that is an issue that needs to be addressed separately.
I'm trying to find some reliable information on this, but I guess we don't have a clear answer.

It makes sense to me that a border wall would keep out a significant percentage of people trying to come into the U.S. illegally.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
President Trump mentioned several times at the CPAC conference today that he is going forward with building a wall along the entire U.S.-Mexico border.

So, do you support the building of this wall? Why or why not?
The Wall will keep out illegal aliens, criminals, terrorists, illegal weapons, illegal drugs and a whole lot more.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:33 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Which iteration?

I support Trump's wall that Mexico will pay for namely because it would never be built.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:37 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Wall will keep out illegal aliens, criminals, terrorists, illegal weapons, illegal drugs and a whole lot more.
How?

Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
How?

The same way that walls deter unwanted entry to our homes and businesses. I already provided two links denoting how walls do work on our southern border. Do I need to post them again? Are you one of those that doesn't want the wall unless it deters illegal immigration 100%?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies