Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support building a wall along the entire U.S.-Mexico border?
Yes, I support building the border wall. 54 54.55%
No, I do not support building the border wall. 38 38.38%
I support building only a partial border wall. 7 7.07%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:32 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Build a 30' wall, I'll invest in a stock of 35' ladders. This is a is Dog & Pony Show, if we really want to stop illegal immigration, stop them from getting jobs that allow them to send $$$ home. Those who hire them should be jailed. The government makes a lot of noise about illegals but little about those who benefit from their cheap labor.
Another reason to jail Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does the wall on the San Diego border have some sort of anti-ladder Star Wars technology?

How do you explain the huge reduction of illegal crossings there following its completion?
Link?

And is there really a reduction of illegal crossings or a reduction of the number being caught?

And WHY is an expensive wall better than a crackdown on those who hire illegals, the reason they come here? Too many votes to lose of those profiting from cheap labor?

Last edited by burdell; 02-24-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 11:36 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
If we were to make this poll honest, we would require that only legal Americans be allowed to vote in it. Likely we will have a lot of illegals and people from other countries putting their word in when what they think is not relevant.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Link?

And is there really a reduction of illegal crossings or a reduction ofthe number being caught?

And WHY is an expensive wall better than a crackdown on those who hire illegals, the reason they come here? Too many votes to lose of those profiting from cheap labor?
Here is a link:

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Border Patrol gauges the number of crossing by the number of apprehensions.

Like I said, laws are ignored constantly in regards to illegal immigration.

If they hadn't been ignored for decades, I'd be against the wall.

With cities and state governments declaring they won't assist in detaining criminals who are illegal, I have little faith in laws being enforced.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:42 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Build a 30' wall, I'll invest in a stock of 35' ladders. This is a is Dog & Pony Show, if we really want to stop illegal immigration, stop them from getting jobs that allow them to send $$$ home. Those who hire them should be jailed. The government makes a lot of noise about illegals but little about those who benefit from their cheap labor.
If we are going to talk about measures besides a wall, then sure. We can also put a bond on visa holders like other Countries do. If they over stay they can be fair game for someone to track them down. Mandatory I-9 for Companies that employee over a certain number of employees. Fines for first offense, jail for second offense employers. It needs to be a multi-pronged approach, along with border re-enforcement.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It sure did. Hardly any now. The desert is a natural deterrent so no wall is needed there. If people want to die out there so be it.
Come on. You live in San Diego; you know every month there is a new elaborate drug tunnel that is found between Mexico and San Ysidro. Every summer there are stories of boats crossing international waters and having immigrants jump out on new moon nights to swim to shore in Mission Beach.

The number one reason more Mexicans aren't coming into the United States is because the economy (and the violence) stabilized there. But if you look at the number of Central Americans coming to the United States, those have increased significantly - - largely because of the huge gang populations in El Salvador, Honduras, etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
If we were to make this poll honest, we would require that only legal Americans be allowed to vote in it. Likely we will have a lot of illegals and people from other countries putting their word in when what they think is not relevant.
I imagine this poll will have 3-5 million illegal votes.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Mexico has a wall on their southern border but they don't want us to have one on ours? Tough! We need one to stop or reduce the illegal crossings of drug gangs and the members of the Mexican police and military who work for them into USA.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Here is a link:

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Border Patrol gauges the number of crossing by the number of apprehensions.

Like I said, laws are ignored constantly in regards to illegal immigration.
That's a 14 mile section of wall, seems like a short distance to travel to make an end run, kinda like a Latin America Maginot Line. I have to wonder if it actually reduced the number of illegals or just shifted their crossing points.

Quote:
If they hadn't been ignored for decades, I'd be against the wall.

With cities and state governments declaring they won't assist in detaining criminals who are illegal, I have little faith in laws being enforced.
I have little faith a wall works as long as the reason they come here ($$$) still exists. And a wall's not gonna stop tunnels, boats, aircraft, or dynamite.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Come on. You live in San Diego; you know every month there is a new elaborate drug tunnel that is found between Mexico and San Ysidro. Every summer there are stories of boats crossing international waters and having immigrants jump out on new moon nights to swim to shore in Mission Beach.

The number one reason more Mexicans aren't coming into the United States is because the economy (and the violence) stabilized there. But if you look at the number of Central Americans coming to the United States, those have increased significantly - - largely because of the huge gang populations in El Salvador, Honduras, etc.
You really need to watch one of the documentaries about drug smuggling.

Most of the tunnels terminate on the streets through manhole covers. They park cars with hatches on the bottoms over these manholes. The drugs are then loaded into the bottoms of the cars, and then a person will go get into the car and drive the drugs to a stash house for nationwide distribution.

They aren't risking these tunnels that make millions of dollars to move a hundred pounds of drugs to make gen grand on a person.

As far as the beach thing goes, yes the wall has forced them to do that, which has still meant a huge decrease in illegal crossings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies