Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I personally don't think we need the 'radical' part at all. 'Islamic terrorism/ists' would do just fine to describe the current violent problem 'children' committing horrible acts in the name of Islam. Both 'Islamic' and 'terrorism' are apt words to describe those who are doing these acts but I don't see them as radical - quite the contrary .. these are often the ones who have studied the Qur'an quite intensely and take it very literally.
Most of the actual terrorists are, in fact, young men and occasionally women who actually know *little* of the Qur'an. Those who recruit them, on the other hand, are quite knowledgeable and skilled in using certain verses to teach in ways that in essence religiously indoctrinate them. Those they prey on through the internet and in mosques led by charismatic imams are often rootless with a record of personal failures. In "radical Islamic terrorism" they are given purpose and literally become time bombs.

Quote:
We must call the spade a spade if we hope to defend freedom for ourselves and others who may need our assistance in that effort - so if McMasters doesn't want to out loud, I hope he is just saying he doesn't not because he doesn't recognize truth but because it is more politically expedient right now.
Words alone are meaningless - it is their connotation that is important. Regardless of how it may be parsed, the term "radical Islamic terrorism" has by its advocates come to mean that it is the underlying religion that is to "blame." That is a non-starter if we are to work with Muslim nations. The phrase had to go.

Quote:
There are other dangers inherent however in the dictates of the Qur'an and Islam as a whole that also need to be addressed in my humble opinion - those of the non-violent who silently support those who commit the violent acts, and the issue of peaceful 'jihad' whereby even innocent muslims who may not even realize they are supporting Islam in the process flood countries in the eventual hope that they can make those countries Islamic, expand the caliphate and institute sharia law. Sharia law, even in its milder forms, is not really compatible with western democratic ideals and laws and freedoms. Islam itself requires drastic internal reforms - and I wish I could believe that will happen any time soon, but I can't.
The extent to which Muslims support or oppose certain religious tenants and acts is simply too complicated to apply generically - plus, it's often conflated with increasing anti-Americanism. At a minimum, any conclusions drawn from certain US-based websites are bound to miss the mark.

Certainly many Muslims even though they do not live in democratic societies find no incompatibility between a more westernized life style and their religious beliefs. At the same time, much of the Muslim community particularly in the ME struggles to create a sense of identity, place in the world. Several decades back this took the form of pan-Arabism, which was largely secular. More recently there has been a return to religious themes. Unlike, say Catholicism or Shi-ite Islam, Sunnis have no central religious authority but instead turn to various imams for teachings.

Many Sunnis have actively worked to counter views offered by certain imams who have drawn so much recent attention. Here, the Ammam Message is a prime example but one that is ignored by most Western news sources for it doesn't support "radical Islamism."

It's easy to argue over the possible interpretations of the word "jihad" - and many Muslims do. The hope of the "caliphate" does appeal - particularly to those who are rootless and dispossessed. No argument. It is a view adopted by radical imams. Ignoring its existence is not wise but its equally important to look at what the "innocent" Muslims believe and search for as they flee the chaos of certain countries. Certainly innocent Muslims coming to the West support Islam but to extrapolate from that they are by definition in favor of a world caliphate is a stretch.

Which ... then moves to the impact of culture. Here, for example, a lot of what we find objectionable in the behavior in some young Muslims is not so much religiously motivated but instead impacted by stereotypes they hold of the West that comes more from our own movies and music than from any Imam.

Angela Merkel perhaps says it best here - "multiculturalism" does not work. Early on, Germans being Europeans but still self-identifying as "German" adopted this somewhat quaint (to us) idea that Muslim immigrants would prefer to live in their own communities to better maintain their own identity. That is not our traditional American way and, in the eyes, of the Germans was a failure.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-25-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 05:06 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with both Cape Cod Todd and the OP. I appreciate that Todd said that the majority of Muslims aren't violent, which is true. We do need to seek out who the terrorists are but not to generalize the entire religion of Islam as a violent one. I don't see McMasters staying on Trump's team long because he is more moderate than Trump and isn't afraid to express his differing viewpoints. That's too bad; he seems like a very wise choice for for administration.
The reason why he doesn't say radical Islamic terrorism is because the term is inaccurate and wrong. Terrorism in the ME was and is a tactic used by all sorts of groups, secular/nationalist/Islamist to reach their goals. This has included people of all the major ME religions, and even atheists/communists.

In other words Islam didn't invent terrorism, terrorism isn't solely performed by Islamists and the driving forces behind the terrorism are geo-political in nature and not religious. The tie to religion by these groups are *justifications* for what they want to do already.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
McMaster might as well drop his retirement papers. He won't get his fourth star and Trump/Bannon don't see things his way.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...errorism-trump

I agree with him. So I suspect his tenure will be short.
It's really fundamentalist islam

Old 02-25-2017, 07:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
McMaster might as well drop his retirement papers. He won't get his fourth star and Trump/Bannon don't see things his way.
We need him and Mattis to keep the crazies like Trump, Miller, and Bannon from starting WWIII.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:26 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,066,281 times
Terrorism in Islam

It is one of the teachings of the Koran
surat al -anfal -60

This verse calls for terrorism

For this reason, Islam produces terrorists
At all times
And the teachings of the Koran calls for murder
For this reason, you must know that Islam is the main source of hatred in the world ideas

Islam starch and spread after the battles and fighting
Islam is an intellectual darkness
I think the President Trump knows Islam well
It calls for cleaning the world of this mental illness

Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What's the matter with just "terrorists?"
Motivations matter.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Every Muslim in the world of radical and moderate
Believes in the Koran
The Koran says that every human being is not a Muslim is unclean
surat -al -toba -28

It will teach the Koran is true
The Koran is not a single word explicit calls for love

The seriousness of Islam is that it is a political ideology
Seeking to have the whole world believe in Islam and in Prophet Muhammad

I invite you to read the history of Islam and the bloodshed that occurred because of the teachings of the Koran and the Prophet Muhammad

Yes, Islam is a threat to the West and to humanity

Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Motivations matter.
Mohammad said
God commanded me to fight human
So to say that God but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
This is the central goal of the Muslim
It is called Jihad demand

Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...errorism-trump

I agree with him. So I suspect his tenure will be short.

Can't believe that Trump chose McMasters. The only useful one of the bunch so far. Wonder how long he will put up with Bannon on the NSC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies