Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"The TSA that Obama put in place...?"

The TSA was founded on November 19, 2001.

But those were the days of "if you didn't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

The ACLU has spoken out about people wrongly placed on the no-fly list.
But they're liberals so what do they know, right?
The no fly list that has virtually NO recourse to get off of it not to mention is rife with name errors..... I wish Trump would address that little issue...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Did you have to deal with repeated insults? If so, call your local paper. They're all liberal I've heard and I bet they would be interested.

Mem Fox states she has traveled through American customs over a hundred times, presumably during the Obama, Bush, Clinton... administrations. Never has she been treated like this before.

Team Trump can carry on all they like about how this is business is usual, it happens all the time.

Mem Fox is saying, no, this is not business as usual. They were rude, disdainful, insulting...

If they treat an older, white woman like this, how do they treat younger people of color?

I realize some will find this a difficult concept to grasp. But keep working at it. Don't give up. You can do it.
Are you assuming all the customs agents are white? In my experience, this is often not the case.

This isn't NEW by the way. TSA does not discriminate on who they randomly decide to mess with. I have seen them pull a very old lady in a wheelchair to the side for further search. They even made her stand up.
Yes, she was white.

Oh the horror.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Are you assuming all the customs agents are white? In my experience, this is often not the case.

This isn't NEW by the way. TSA does not discriminate on who they randomly decide to mess with. I have seen them pull a very old lady in a wheelchair to the side for further search. They even made her stand up.
Yes, she was white.

Oh the horror.
Many of these incidents have made the news and were met with the appropriate level of outrage and derision.
Of course, that was while Obama was president, so...

Disabled woman beaten bloody by TSA agents after becoming confused and afraid at security checkpoint

TSA Apologizes To Forck Family After Clip Of 3-Year-Old Girl In Wheelchair Goes Viral (VIDEO) | The Huffington Post

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.986198

Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Were you subjected to "so many insults?" Were you fine with that as well?
Dunno, maybe if I was a 70 year old Aussie child author of female gender I may believe I was subject to many insults. Unless she states what the many insults were I can't make any conclusion. Some people think being asked their name by an official is an insult, so would being delayed, so would be quizzing about plans in country, or people in your country of origin, or within the US who can corroborate your story. So without some idea what the so many insults were I can't provide any conclusion whether it's within my experience or outside of it.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-27-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
I can understand why Ms Fox would upset and perplexed about her treatment, after all, prior to being detained, she had already visited the US 116 times without incident.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I'm surprised she wasn't quoted as screaming at the agents, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Because that's what a lot of these stories appear to be, these days.

People get detained. Pre-Trump, there were outrageous TSA stories. After Trump, there will be outrageous TSA stories. The most intellectually lazy thing I've seen from the left these days is to point to anything wrong and outrageous - even if it's actually not anything new or has been happening for years - and proclaim, "this is the new Trump America!"

Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I never heard of any of these, much less any outrage or derision that ensued.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
https://www.google.com/#q=mem+fox+detained&*

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

"En route to Milwaukee for a conference on February 9, where she was to deliver the opening keynote address at a literacy conference, Fox was ushered into an airport holding room and told she was travelling on the wrong visa. This was incorrect and the US Embassy in Canberra has since apologised. Fox, 70, said that by the time she checked in to her hotel she was shaking and sobbing.

“I am old and white, innocent and educated, and I speak English fluently,” she said. “Imagine what happened to the others in the room, including an old Iranian woman in her 80s, in a wheelchair.
No kidding. I mean, I'm sure they water-boarded her, right?

Such first world problems. If this person was sobbing and shaking while waiting for a clerical error to be straightened out, she's got some serious issues. Guaranteed, she's never set foot in a DMV, if a 2 hour wait for paperwork problems sends her into a tailspin.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I never heard of any of these, much less any outrage or derision that ensued.
Search the Current Affairs forum.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:15 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Let's go over this again.

While it is marvelous that so many team Trump folks are understanding of being detained at airports, and have been detained themselves and known others that that have been detained.

However, Mem Fox was not only detained, she was insulted, treated with disdain.

“I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness,” she said.

Do you all believe this is normal for public servants to insult people?

Were you or your friends and relatives insulted as well as detained? Were you all fine and dandy with this?

Sweet Jesus.
I'm sure she expected to be treated like a queen. And when they didn't kiss her behind, she labeled them as rude. And from her comments, she went in hating the folks that were dealing with her.

I'd like to hear specifically what words were insulting and full of disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies