Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
My father feels similarly. He was an NRA member from the age of 16 to 65. Eight years ago, he stopped because he couldn't support how the NRA tried to stop any laws that were put together to keep track of guns and ammunition.

There are plenty of gun owners with common sense. I never felt unsafe a day in my life growing up with my dad and his 10-20 guns. I wish more gun owners would come out and voice what the OP did.
"There are plenty of gun owners with common sense."

This the usual reply.

You are accusing anyone who does NOT agree with NOT having any "common sense".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times
Our laws are way too lax. I'm all for anyone having a gun as long as they pass a test, have no history of crimes and are not mentally challenged. Simple basic things that common sense needs to occur in order to get a gun.

I'm also with the poster that said there is no reason for a civilian to have a automatic gun.

Last edited by SeminoleTom; 02-27-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Well I do not know what you fellas are proposing.

Here in Maryland, we have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. None the less it is still pretty easy to obtain and stockpile some serious weaponry.

Sure, now you can only purchase a 10 round mag for your Glock, but there is nothing illegal about bringing in a 15 round mag from another state. Not to mention all the ones that were already here.

1 Glock 19 plus a pack with 10 mags each holding 10 rounds.

You do the math.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I didn't think a 12 gauge would be up to it either. To a little google searching, these guys are in helicopters and knocking them down with one hit and it has to be every bit of 100 yards. I understand on the suppression though.

The guys I know that run helicopters out of Seguin, use AR-10's chambered in 308

Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Where do you think criminals get their guns from? Do you think there's an illegal producer of guns somewhere?
First question: Criminals get their guns from many places that would include theft and illegal purchases.

Second question: Yes, there are illegal gun producers out there.

The fact of the matter is that even if you got rid of every single legal gun manufacturer, criminals could still get guns. Unless you're under some sort of delusion that manufacturing processes well over a hundred years old can't be done in a small machine shop, you'd understand this.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have always had guns, rifles, shotguns, and pistols. What I can not understand is why anyone, outside law enforcement, needs assault type weapons with large capacity magazines. Those are made to do one thing, inflict a large number of injuries in a short period of time.

I know the NRA guys will say it is their right, but I can not own an operational cannon, so why should I be able to buy one of these ?
"needs assault type weapons"

The guns they talk about are NOT "assault type weapons.

Being a gun owner, you SHOULD no this!

"with large capacity magazines."

This situation has been told many times.

What if 2, 3 4 or MORE criminals break into your house, and being "criminals" they do NOT follow the "magazine" laws and each has a 15 round magazine and you only 1 10 round magazine?

Think about it for a moment.

The odds are NOT in your favor.

"but I can not own an operational cannon,"

Sure you can.

Heck, you can even buy an operational tank if you want.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
That was surprising to me as well. I can't imagine anybody would allow removal of this law if they were personally affected by it. Our nation has done the children of Sandy Hook Elementary School and every other victims of shooting a grave disservice by not allow more regulations to pass.

Thank you OP for voicing something that's so important in our society....

People who are FOR guns need to realize that regulations aren't meant to take your guns away, they are only meant to keep guns from people who never should have them in the first place.

Shame on the NRA and Congress for resisting what most Americans are asking for....
"Our nation has done the children of Sandy Hook Elementary School and every other victims of shooting a grave disservice by not allow more regulations to pass."

You, obviously are NOT aware the the Sandy Hook shooter BROKE MULTIPLE gun laws.

What makes you think a crazy person is going to follow even MORE laws?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:34 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You got a crappy lower!

I use to buy blemished raw lowers, but now I mill my own

Nah, it's a good one. Out of two Magpul grips - one fit fine, but is FDE, not black. I was tempted, but knew my OCD would be "triggered" (haha) every time I looked at it. Magpul's the culprit on that one. Rock River's Match II trigger comes with over-sized pins - though not as big as the .170 Colt's - because if there's any travel, you can lose the second stage. I actually prefer the screw to the roll pin for the bolt catch - less chance you're going to mar the finish with a slipped punch - I just wish I'd known that was the deal before I started. Everything else was just needing the correct tools.

So yeah, it's not the most difficult thing I've ever done, but the last thing we need is to have the uninformed thinking you snap guns together like Lego. (The way they think Trump made it okay for the mentally ill to have guns.) It's good that it takes some amount of knowledge and mechanical skill to do.

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How so? If the constitution is your basis, then do you feel the same about our constitution's other laws all have similar issues?

No other laws and no other amendments say, there will be no government involvement. It is not a privilege for discussion.
Everyone with an agenda to disarm the public, neglects to read the entire 2nd amendment. The part the clearly says, shall not be infringed, for all to comprehend.

Look at all the language inserted into the amendment, for it to be the ONLY declaration to say, you will not be involved... PERIOD.

The Bill of Rights is so clear to understand, but look how it gets attacked constantly by government with mental gymnastics and a politically appointed Supreme Court as an accomplice.

There has been so much language inserted into the 2nd amendment, it makes it null and void, no longer a right, but now a privilege.

If it were a right as it is suppose to be.... We could talk all we want about it, but it would not make any difference. NONE! If it is my liberty and not yours to tell me what I'm going to do.

If I can tell you what to do, it is not your right.

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well I do not know what you fellas are proposing.

Here in Maryland, we have some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. None the less it is still pretty easy to obtain and stockpile some serious weaponry.

Sure, now you can only purchase a 10 round mag for your Glock, but there is nothing illegal about bringing in a 15 round mag from another state. Not to mention all the ones that were already here.

1 Glock 19 plus a pack with 10 mags each holding 10 rounds.

You do the math.
For God's sake don't give Frosh and CT any ideas.

Difficult? Maybe not. Somewhat expensive and time consuming? Yes.

I also found out the bi-yearly background check done on me for some of my volunteer work doesn't count if I go to buy a regulated firearm.

You know there was a bill dropped requiring a BC for every firearm transfer in the State, including willing one, or more, to your kids upon your death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies