Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I personally I'm probably upwards of 99% African. My mom side I can trace and my mom has a great aunt that was pushing 50% white. My Dad's side on the other hand is Ijaw, which is one of the first ethnic groups to come into contact with whites. While I doubt I am more than 2-3% non African due to how dark I am (currently the darkest one in my family of 40+), due to my dad having several sisters who are naturally as light/lighter than this woman https://www.instagram.com/tontolet/?hl=en , and my grandmother on his side is really light so who knows I might be a bit British or Portuguese or even North African. But my point is I honestly don't care either way, It would be cool to know just to know, I understand lots of people have an agenda they want to push and some just want bragging rights, but I think it is unfair to assume that these black posters just want to know because they want to know.
Skin tone means nothing though. My moms color is like a reddish brown, she is way darker than my dad who is Obama's color. But my mom has more European DNA than he has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
She is black. 67% black. Read the article. She thought she had more native amerian than white.

After completing my home-based saliva collection kit I quickly received my results:

Sub-Saharan African: 67.2%
European: 31.5%
East Asian & Native American: 0.6%
Unassigned: 0.6%

" I thought the results would simply confirm what I was told by my family; instead they discredited their allegations.

In college, my father told me our family was Native American and Black."
Note that if your siblings did the same test that their results will be a different mix than yours as you each uniquely got half of your genes from each parent, but which half you got varied. The differences can be dramatic. For example, my results came back 51% British Isles, 34% Scandinavian (just to note the largest 2 segments). One of my brothers only had 23% British Isles but his Scandinavian was close to mine at 31%. My sister on the other hand was 55% British Isles so close to mine but was 0% Scandinavian.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

African Americans would be just as smug if they knew their identities. You simply can't relate. I understand what you're saying, but you don't share our unique history and our frustrations aren't your frustrations on this issue.
Whelp...I think the woman who made the article seems shallow to the point of being silly, because she cares so much about what I see as superficial nonsense to the point where it's upsetting her. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have no reason to believe anything else.

Most African Americans already know their identities, unless they're orphans. They know their communities. They know their families. In short, they already know their people. Everybody else is just some unimportant phantom, so far as I can see, which is the exact same thing most white people experience. Nobody cares about ancestry-related stuff unless they make it into a kind of fun hobby or aggressively search for things to worry about needlessly...or maybe if they're an orphan.

I don't share your recent history. I have no idea what it's like to experience segregation or hear about if from your ancestors if either happened. You and I both learn about both our older histories from the exact same sources though: books/internet/tv/etc. That means our ties to slaves, and their owners, may be exactly the same, regardless of our ancestry, depending on what books we've read and what history programs we've watched.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-27-2017 at 09:20 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As dark as my husband and I are, I gave birth to one child with bluish eyes. Even though they rather quickly turned brown it was an indication that he had white ancestors somewhere in the mix, which means one of us did. There are very few "pure breeds" in America, if there are any. It's one of the reasons reparations for slavery are nutty at this point, most people would end up needing to pay themselves. We are far more of a melting pot than most people are willing to acknowledge.

I am pretty sure John Cho, Daniel Kim, Constance Wu, Lucy Liu, Ki Hong Lee, and Randall Pak are pure breeds.

Wait, unless you are you saying they are not Americans "in America."

Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
This is why we can't have nice things

Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Time for her to take off those "I'm Black" glasses and join the real world.
It only took 12.5% to be black via the one drop rule so she is still black.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:55 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Speaking of Scandinavians, try tracing that heritage back and see how far you get.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will also note that Skip Gates was also surprised by how "white" he was. I think most blacks believe we are part white but not by much. Nor do we want to be for the most part. I was surprised I found so much white ancestry other than my great grandmother who looked white. I always knew she had some European ancestry but not the others.
I haven't gotten around to testing. My grandma is "black" but she had light hazel eyes, a complexion around Zoe Saldana's and hair that was less curly than Sarah Jessica Parker. No one says she is part white. It us sort of an unspoken thing. Even now, but my dad had an inkling of white heritage when the white police officers in town, with our last name, were nice to him as a kid.

But nobody claims any white anything.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My DNA test results said I'm 100% white. Oh - I'm so ashamed!!
When did your family get here?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't gotten around to testing. My grandma is "black" but she had light hazel eyes, a complexion around Zoe Saldana's and hair that was less curly than Sarah Jessica Parker. No one says she is part white. It us sort of an unspoken thing. Even now, but my dad had an inkling of white heritage when the white police officers in town, with our last name, were nice to him as a kid.

But nobody claims any white anything.
Why is it they don't claim anything white as you say? Colorism perhaps??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies