Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,732,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I did read it. The article goes into a whole thing about evolution, Falwell, Christians hijacking the Republican party, etc.... which has nothing to do with the missteps of CNN, NYT, and so on.
I hope that people in this thread will keep in mind a distinction between fake news (which is literally made-up consciously for the purpose of fooling people, etc.) and mistakes or bias (in which the writer of the news is not consciously trying to fool anyone, but may, nevertheless, make a mistake or be guided by biased views).

I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind a distinction between news articles and opinion articles. Obviously the opinion pieces will be biased - that's the whole point of offering an opinion.

Can anyone here give specific examples of actual news articles that are fake news published by CNN or NYT? (Or NPR or the Washington Post, etc.?)

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-27-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
I wasn't seeking your respect. I put out a link to an article I found interesting and solicited comment, but that requires actually reading it.
Are you surprised that those that have an ethical backbone not sold out to special interest groups have a conviction for exposing the lies of the mass media?

Those that believe that the mainstream media is the only source for truth are programmed and a brainwashed individuals incapable of critical thinking.

These are the minds that followed Adolf Hitler. Easy to manipulate. Not an admirable quality.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I hope that people in this thread will keep in mind a distinction between fake news (which is literally made-up consciously for the purpose of fooling people, etc.) and mistakes or bias (in which the writer of the news is not consciously trying to fool anyone, but may, nevertheless, make a mistake or be guided by biased views).

I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind a distinction between news articles and opinion articles. Obviously the opinion pieces will be biased - that's the whole point of offering an opinion.

Can anyone here give specific examples of actual news articles that are fake news published by CNN or NYT? (Or NPR or the Washington Post, etc.?)
Your definitions are off.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM

185 posts, read 169,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I did read it. The article goes into a whole thing about evolution, Falwell, Christians hijacking the Republican party, etc.... which has nothing to do with the missteps of CNN, NYT, and so on.

Isn't that the point of the article, and especially the headline of the article - that the root of fake news is with Christians?
The article makes a distinction between christian fundamentalists and other christians. It posits that fundamentalism's rejection of science and history which could undermine their interpretation of the Bible led to the rejection of news whenever it didn't line up with their belief systems. So no, modern media events are not included in the article because that wasn't the topic focus. You are more than welcome to share evidence linking the modern media such as CNN, NYT, etc. that you don't like to the rise of the fake news phenomena.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Are you surprised that those that have an ethical backbone not sold out to special interest groups have a conviction for exposing the lies of the mass media?

Those that believe that the mainstream media is the only source for truth are programmed and a brainwashed individuals incapable of critical thinking.

These are the minds that followed Adolf Hitler. Easy to manipulate. Not an admirable quality.
Once again, you don't address the article. You merely assume that I get all my information from mainstream media. In fact, the article I linked to is not from mainstream media.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post

Thank you. It amazes me how many times someone will go off the rails over a clearly labeled opinion or commentary piece and cry fake news or biased media. When in fact, it's typically the conservative bloggers who are trying to disguise their commentary as fact-based news. We could use some journalism 101 type education around here.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
The article makes a distinction between christian fundamentalists and other christians. It posits that fundamentalism's rejection of science and history which could undermine their interpretation of the Bible led to the rejection of news whenever it didn't line up with their belief systems. So no, modern media events are not included in the article because that wasn't the topic focus. You are more than welcome to share evidence linking the modern media such as CNN, NYT, etc. that you don't like to the rise of the fake news phenomena.
Whats the difference between christian fundamentalists and other christians?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Your definitions are off.
Agreed. Purposely ignoring the truth vs purposely not seeking the truth. It's the same thing

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
The older I get, the more I realize, that money and religion are the main roots of all evil!

Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches
If it was true the viewing audience for CNN and the readers of Politico would all be Christian fundamentalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies