Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:38 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Whats the difference between christian fundamentalists and other christians?
Please, someone explain this to this person. I don't have time. For instance, Catholics and Protestants are Christians. I could call myself a Christian but I would not be comfortable with the extremist type of religion that is prevalent across the south. I don't trust ministers who go on tv hollering and begging for money--but it goes much further than that. Someone might want to explain concisely.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:43 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Please, someone explain this to this person. I don't have time. For instance, Catholics and Protestants are Christians. I could call myself a Christian but I would not be comfortable with the extremist type of religion that is prevalent across the south. I don't trust ministers who go on tv hollering and begging for money--but it goes much further than that. Someone might want to explain concisely.
Generally fundamentalists believe every event in the bible literally where as non fundamentalists do not.

IE: Noah's ark actually happened as stated, world is <10k years old, universe created in literal 7 days in the Genesis order (both of them... even though they are contradictory) etc are fundamentalist positions.

I would not find it terribly surprising that this kind of credulousness in religious beliefs could lead to similar credulousness elsewhere.

They are basically defined by extreme bias seeking behavior because that is the only way to maintain these kinds of beliefs in the face of our current level of understanding of nature.

Extreme bias seeking behavior is also the primary factor in making fake news successful. People WANT it to be true, so to them it is TRUE - regardless of if it is completely fabricated or not.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 02-27-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Susceptibility to fake news linked to christian fundamentalism

Makes perfect sense.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 AM

185 posts, read 169,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Whats the difference between christian fundamentalists and other christians?
There's any number of online resources, such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
What Is The Difference Between Fundamentalists and Evangelicals?

My own broad interpretation is that there are christians who are strict to the word of the Bible, i.e. the story of Genesis, Noah's Ark, etc. as being real and true. Creationists are usually fundamentalists and they believe the Earth is only about 6,000 years old because when they look at the lineage in the Bible that's what they come up with. Fundamentalism is a reaction to the theory of evolution which implies that humans evolved from what is considered lesser beings, rather than literally descending from Adam and Eve. On the other hand, there are christians who consider Biblical stories within a more open-minded context and believe that christianity and science can co-exist.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:49 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
An interesting article on how susceptibility to fake news has its origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites, i.e. evolution theory and a historical-critical analysis of the Bible.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on how this correlates to current political events, and from all sides of the fence. (Note: this would require actually reading the article, preferably with an open mind.)

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts” | Religion Dispatches
Not surprising. Most climate denial also stems from Christian fundamentalism. They think science is one big conspiracy theory devoted to Satan to repress the true truth of God, which is that the earth is only 6,000 years old and climate is either not changing or is a sign of the Rapture. They cling to outdated propaganda on issues like marijuana and homosexuality and don't even consider what current research shows. You could just dismiss them as a fringe group like Scientologists or Jehovah's Witnesses, until you realize these people are now in power in our country and they want complete control over everyone, and will not stop until they get it.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
This has to be the dumbest news story I have read today, and this is after witches casting a spell on Trump.

I think the bulk of people these days are idiots. /boggle

Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Not surprising.

Religious people hold beliefs based on what feels good rather than facts. If facts get in the way of beliefs that feel good, said facts must be ignored, denied, and disparaged.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not surprising.

Religious people hold beliefs based on what feels good rather than facts. If facts get in the way of beliefs that feel good, said facts must be ignored, denied, and disparaged.
100% this.

I am appalled by their tendency to believe flat out lies just because they like what they hear. What's worse is they mock and belittle people who believe the facts. I always say that "lying for Jesus" is still lying, but they just don't get it.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenw729 View Post
There's any number of online resources, such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
What Is The Difference Between Fundamentalists and Evangelicals?

My own broad interpretation is that there are christians who are strict to the word of the Bible, i.e. the story of Genesis, Noah's Ark, etc. as being real and true. Creationists are usually fundamentalists and they believe the Earth is only about 6,000 years old because when they look at the lineage in the Bible that's what they come up with. Fundamentalism is a reaction to the theory of evolution which implies that humans evolved from what is considered lesser beings, rather than literally descending from Adam and Eve. On the other hand, there are christians who consider Biblical stories within a more open-minded context and believe that christianity and science can co-exist.
This is something I don't get.

Why does every word and every story in the Bible have to be literally true? Why can't people read these stories for the morals and lessons they teach rather than insisting they are literal history? They lose a lot of their meaning when you insist that they literally happened. Lord of the Rings is a timeless story with some great moral values, yet nobody had the need to insist that it actually happened.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So the fact that people make up news is Christians' fault.

Laughable...
The article is about susceptibility to fake news. They don't say that Christians are responsible for generating fake news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies