Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
That's one graph.

Here's another pie chart that gives a different perspective...
Yes. And?

If I had $1.00 and all of it was budgeted for use, how is doubling any portion of it a good thing? How is doubling a portion that is already more than adequately budgeted a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
If I were in charge I would get rid of all but 6 of the absurdly expensive, insanely vulnerable aircraft carriers. Two Atlantic, three Pacific, and one spare to float between the two fleets as needed. We can use US territories as bases and refuel the planes in flight. It's alot harder to destroy an island, one missile can sink or severely disable any modern warship because they rely on speed and low radar visibility rather than brute armor.

I would also reduce the USMC to infantry and light artillery. No armor, no aviation (absorbed by the Navy), no support units (any needed support would come from Navy or Army units - Navy Seebees, etc). The USMC should fulfill a role more along the lines of the British Royal Marines, German Navy's Seebattalion, French Navy's Fusilers Marin, or the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps - amphibious operations, ship detachments, special purpose detachments (ie: guarding nuclear weapons, embassy security, etc) and the defense of naval bases and overseas areas. The should not be a military within a military.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:59 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Thing is, social security should not even be in the picture. That money belongs to the people that earned it. It was taken from them out of every paycheck they earned and held in safe keeping by the government for their retirement. It has one purpose and one purpose only. To be given back to those that contributed to it.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Fear monger. There's a Muslim booby man under every bed.

Deficit spend to build up the military

Creates jobs

Fulfills campaign promise

Throw the people a tax cut bone and most don't care about deficit spending.
That's exactly how this will go.

People get a 1/2% tax cut and get all excited while billions are wasted.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Thing is, social security should not even be in the picture. That money belongs to the people that earned it. It was taken from them out of every paycheck they earned and held in safe keeping by the government for their retirement. It has one purpose and one purpose only. To be given back to those that contributed to it.
I agree. While it is formally classed as an "entitlement," it is one based on wages put into the system for the purpose of being paid out later as a type of pension.

We know where it is funded (from our paychecks) so why put it in there under "government spending?"

I mean, put in the amount that it costs to administer the program, but don't count the amount in everyone's SS checks.

Also, some people get back more than they put in. Some get back far less.

That's the way SS goes. It's not like you put in X and you get to take out only X or your heirs get the rest of X if you die before you collect all of X.

If it worked that way, my grandma would not have been so broke after my grandfather died.

His SS paid in went to funding the program or paying someone who didn't put as much in the system, yet lived longer than expected. They do not cut that mess off if you outlive the amount you put in.

ETA: I would prefer that SS have a baseline amount that people get paid, based on the COL where they live. Others, who put in more, get paid more. If you die and have not collected the full amount you put in, your heirs inherit it AND all of the interest that the government made off your money while it sat there. Also, no penalties for double dipping. If you decide to start collecting once you reach the allowable age, you should get to collect the full amount you were entitled to, PLUS the ability to work to make more and better your circumstances, if you prefer. Why treat people's money like it's not their money once they retire? That's just asinine.

That is how it should work. If it did work that way, people would not be shouting about privatization of the program.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The bloated military has long been a problem. You should be able to read into that what I am saying.
common ground

I would be happy to see the USA slash military spending by at least 50%. That would make much more sense and help slow our fall.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree. While it is formally classed as an "entitlement," it is one based on wages put into the system for the purpose of being paid out later as a type of pension.

We know where it is funded (from our paychecks) so why put it in there under "government spending?"

I mean, put in the amount that it costs to administer the program, but don't count the amount in everyone's SS checks.

Also, some people get back more than they put in. Some get back far less.

That's the way SS goes. It's not like you put in X and you get to take out only X or your heirs get the rest of X if you die before you collect all of X.

If it worked that way, my grandma would not have been so broke after my grandfather died.

His SS paid in went to funding the program or paying someone who didn't put as much in the system, yet lived longer than expected. They do not cut that mess off if you outlive the amount you put in.

ETA: I would prefer that SS have a baseline amount that people get paid, based on the COL where they live. Others, who put in more, get paid more. If you die and have not collected the full amount you put in, your heirs inherit it AND all of the interest that the government made off your money while it sat there. Also, no penalties for double dipping. If you decide to start collecting once you reach the allowable age, you should get to collect the full amount you were entitled to, PLUS the ability to work to make more and better your circumstances, if you prefer. Why treat people's money like it's not their money once they retire? That's just asinine.

That is how it should work. If it did work that way, people would not be shouting about privatization of the program.
SS exists in most countries, funding is not nearly as hard as politicians like to make out. I believe we need to move to a unverisal income for all that encourages people working and provides a floor for everyone regardless of age , employment etc.

SS should continue to exist as part of a UBI. and I completely agree that people should be allowed to earn money while collecting SS and only pay tax on the earned monies. SS should not be taxed unless there is some local tax needs I don't understand

Old 02-27-2017, 01:28 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Trump is proposing to increase the US Military Budget. Not just increase it, but double it. In today's world this is just not supportable or necessary.

Draft executive order shows how Trump wants to grow the U.S. military significantly - Chicago Tribune
Donald Trump is right about defense spending – and that should scare you
https://www.forbes.com/sites/charles.../#64b6bcf06024

As of 2016:

The US Military budget is currently about $573 B.
The US already outspends the next 7 countries with the largest budgets combined.
The US already outspends the next biggest spender (China) by 280%.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/c...ding-vs-world/

I bet you his trust fund ran by his sons had bought a bunch of defense shares before he made that announcement.

With Trump, always follow the money.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Maybe he's planning on waging war with someone.
This is obviously in preparation for invading mexico

Old 02-27-2017, 01:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
This is obviously in preparation for invading mexico

They do look like a bunch of tough hombres.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies