Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:03 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What if there's an anti robot backlash against a company that goes automated?
George Jetson said it best " Jane, stop this crazy thing!"
There already is.

I refuse to go through self-check-out stands that are all over grocery and building supply stores. If I'm encouraged to do so, I decline, stating that I don't want to put anyone out of work.

I see many others doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
The job of a corporation is to make money. As the price comes down on the kiosks, even a penny an hour is too much. Minimum wage or not, kiosks are coming.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Jobs that pay below minimum wage aren't worth working.
Eliminate food stamps and other support and people will be scooping up multiple minimum wage jobs or starve.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What decade are you living in? It's not the 1990s anymore.

Fast Food is now a career for many people, thanks to neoliberal policies that sent good paying jobs overseas.

You think you're safe just because you have an engineering degree? Think again. Employers are finding ways to send white collar jobs overseas and are bringing in foreign workers on H1Bs and paying them peanuts.

Pride cometh before the fall. Maybe someday you will have to work a low-wage McJob just to survive, like a large part of the population.
Gotta love capitalism and greedy corporations right?

They're the ones making the decision to trim the workforce and prioritize shareholders over employees. Wonder who's to blame for that?

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Eliminate food stamps and other support and people will be scooping up multiple minimum wage jobs or starve.
They'll starve anyway. Multiple minimum wage jobs won't pay the bills.

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The job of a corporation is to make money. As the price comes down on the kiosks, even a penny an hour is too much. Minimum wage or not, kiosks are coming.

Many of the places that I eat such as Moe's and Panera Bread have smartphone apps that allow me to order without even standing in line to use their kiosk

Old 02-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Then universal basic income here we come.
It looks like this time it'll be inevitable as the masses are not educated and trained enough to weather the automation that's about to come.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Most people on food stamps are minimum wage workers. Minimum wage doesn't pay the bills so government steps in with food stamps, rent subsidies etc.. to fill the gap.

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
No shock here. Many people are going to be replaced by automation whether or not the minimum wage changes. Meh.
It always comes back to ROI, and as wages increase past inflation, ROI increases for automation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There already is.

I refuse to go through self-check-out stands that are all over grocery and building supply stores. If I'm encouraged to do so, I decline, stating that I don't want to put anyone out of work.

I see many others doing the same.
So basically you're refusing to accept the reality of the free market? Capitalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies