Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 01:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Taxpayers should definitely care. And the free labor system in American prisons is a morally bankrupt system. Its both morally and economically absurd.
Isn't that why the others involved were offered plea bargains and lesser sentences? I don't agree with many of the harsh sentences people get, especially for victimless crimes like drug possession, but this was definitely NOT a victimless crime. Forgetting 2 days of terrorizing a community, including a public shopping center and motorists, as I mentioned in an earlier posts, I cannot stress too much that little children were threatened with a gun. At one point they were told they were going to die.

When I was their age back in the 50s, a neighbor yelled "Hitler didn't finish the job." I didn't understand exactly what she meant until she used the K word and became more graphic about ovens. I was lucky, but she struck my friend with her cane. She later required knee surgery. It was a time when many Jewish families were moving into the area and this miserable, old witch was upset about it. I'll be 66 in a few weeks and I still remember Mrs. Hill, may she rot in hell.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:00 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I love how the woman said "I'm so sorry that (the assault, waving the flag, the racial slurs, and the armed threats) happened to you." ??????? It didn't just happen to the black family. That would be like me who wasn't involved saying that I am sorry this happened to them. She perpetrated/helped in this. It was her actions. That's a non-apology, not taking responsibility.

And then she says "But I want you all to know that that is not me. That is not me." ?????? It IS her. She's the one who committed those actions. And if she is saying that this behavior is out of character, then I'll have to question that as well. Seems to me to be exactly the behavior you'd expect from someone who belongs to a white supremacist group and attends a two-day "party" focused on WS and the Confederate flag.

I agree. Then you add in that authorities found face book discussions among this group about attending KKK meetings or perhaps joining Skinhead Nation.

As the judge said one may view displaying a confederate flag in multiple ways but when you do it while hurling the N word then their is only one way to interpret it.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Then you are a firm believer in the prison industrial complex with absurd sentences in order to get free labor and more inmates/customers in this appalling system. All paid for by the taxpayer. Its appalling. No matter what the race of the perpetrators are, such sentences are seen as a symbol of how messed up America is.
Sorry; not swayed. When someone threatens children with a shotgun they deserve prison time.

Funny, when a non-white gets a harsh sentence for a minor offence I don't see multiple posts crying about the prison complex. Quite the opposite from conservatives.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
I wonder if there would be any compassion and sympathy by people if it was some black kids from Chicago who pointed a gun at an 8-year old white kid.

I stopped wondering as soon as I finished typing that sentence, because I already know what the answer would be.

All these people complain about harsh prison sentences are nowhere to be found when Jamal gets years in jail for pot or getting into fist fight at school, but now, all of a sudden, there's concern about how "messed up" the judicial system is.

Get out of here with that BS.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:11 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Any other flag flown by a defeated enemy of the United states, I suppose.
The Confederate flag is not as American as any other flag. It is the flag of traitors to the U.S.

Robert E. Lee was a traitor. He graduated from West Point, took the oath to defend our nation, our Constitution. Then he led the attack on it. He and the traitors who fought with him, fought under the Confederate flag.

I've never understood how people could twist what happened into something noble.

I imagine that after Lee surrendered, the thought was that reconciliation would happen more easily if they didn't make too big a deal about the traitor business.

We've seen where that got us.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sorry; not swayed. When someone threatens children with a shotgun they deserve prison time.

Funny, when a non-white gets a harsh sentence for a minor offence I don't see multiple posts crying about the prison complex. Quite the opposite from conservatives.
I am not a "conservative". I have condemned the prison industrial complex numerous times. I am a progressive who believe the Democratic party is waay too far to the right and catering to big money interests. I can think rationally when over-the-top sentences are handed out, regardless of skin color of the perpetrators.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:16 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Confederate flag is not as American as any other flag. It is the flag of traitors to the U.S.
Seceding -- perfectly legal and constitutional -- and forming a new country is not "treason."

Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
How do we know that really happened?

weird...I'm surprised you're not using this opportunity to Trumpet their cause from the heavens

Old 02-28-2017, 02:21 PM

800 posts, read 508,516 times
It was a despicable crime to be sure. But its no surprise when the media jumps all over a case like this, to paint a bad image of rural white America. Theres tons of cases all the time of black thugs breaking into the houses of white people, killing and robbing them, and its not much more than a blip on the local news. The liberal mainstream media is obviously very bias in which cases they choose to blow up in national news, and its never at the detriment to their typical constituents. Its always in attempt to smear anything losely associated with rednecks or conservatism. The media is it's own form of bigotry.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:23 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Seceding -- perfectly legal and constitutional -- and forming a new country is not "treason."
No...it is *NOT* legal. This was settled by the supreme court and frankly in the civil war itself.

"Texas v. White, (1869), U.S. Supreme Court case in which it was held that the United States is “an indestructible union” from which no state can secede.

Thus, the Supreme Court decreed by law what the Union’s Civil War victory had effected by force, namely, the principle that no state may secede from the Union."

https://www.britannica.com/event/Texas-v-White
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies