Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times

Advertisements

9 of the bottom 10 are red states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Very observant as if no one could see that.
The best state is whichever state makes you happiest living there.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Meh, I don't care about health care because I don't use it nor education because I'm happily child-free.

I'm exactly in the place where I'm best able to thrive.
You have never seen a doctor? Wow!

It is interesting that as a child free by choice person, you would rather not have the children around you educated. Those children are the ones you will support because they cannot get jobs without education. Those children are the ones who will be poor and illiterate. The labor force suffers when a large part of the citizens cannot contribute to economic development. Economic prosperity is dependent upon the education of a country’s people. Education means that these people are less likely to need public assistance.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I've lived in 4 states for the majority of my life and I would rank them:

1. Washington - Good schools, good job opportunities, good governance, low crime.
2. Texas - Good schools, good jobs, good governance, higher crime.
3. Oregon - Fair schools, poor jobs, fair governance, low crime.
4. Louisiana - Poor schools, poor jobs, poor governance, high crime.

So based on the US News list, the only switch for me would be Texas above Oregon. Even though Louisiana ranked 50th and maybe deservedly, I really enjoy going to New Orleans more than just about anywhere...just don't want to live there. Washington clearly is the best state I've lived in.
TEXAS does not have good schools in general. It has some highly ranked schools, but many of the schools are below average. Also, of course, the Texas board of education wants a lot of science and history scrubbed from their schools. We have been fortunate that our school district has not used the textbooks they want to give us. We have been fighting the good fight with the union of concerned scientists since we moved here and in 2013, we won, but the fight is coming back again. The History textbooks are also very flawed as the Texas Board has tried to get Thomas Jefferson taken out and McCarthy vindicated.

These Biased Ideas Are Presented As Fact In Texas Curriculum Standards | The Huffington Post

Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
So? I could make a ranking that would put most blue states at the bottom.

I'd include such categories as cost of living, square footage of the average residence, least harsh winters, easiest to legally purchase a gun, least amount of protests/riots, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
TEXAS does not have good schools in general. It has some highly ranked schools, but many of the schools are below average. Also, of course, the Texas board of education wants a lot of science and history scrubbed from their schools. We have been fortunate that our school district has not used the textbooks they want to give us. We have been fighting the good fight with the union of concerned scientists since we moved here and in 2013, we won, but the fight is coming back again. The History textbooks are also very flawed as the Texas Board has tried to get Thomas Jefferson taken out and McCarthy vindicated.

These Biased Ideas Are Presented As Fact In Texas Curriculum Standards | The Huffington Post
Let's fill Boston schools with poor children of illegal aliens where English is not spoken at home and both parents work two jobs and see what happens to the school rankings.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's fill Boston schools with poor children of illegal aliens where English is not spoken at home and both parents work two jobs and see what happens to the school rankings.
You think NJ is short on illegal immigrants? We're not, yet we're #2 in education. How do you explain that?

An estimated 11.7 percent of the K-12 public school students are dependent children of illegal aliens. Illegal Immigration Figures in New Jersey

How many poor non-English speaking illegal immigrants live in the nicer towns, where schools overall across the board tend to be ranked higher than those in inner cities or worse off areas? Most of Texas's best schools in their best areas are outranked by states like MA's and NJ's in comparable areas. This is just how it is, illegal immigrants aren't an excuse here.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So? I could make a ranking that would put most blue states at the bottom.

I'd include such categories as cost of living, square footage of the average residence, least harsh winters, easiest to legally purchase a gun, least amount of protests/riots, etc.
Seems a very fair comparison to these: Health Care, Education, Crime, Infrastructure, Opportunity, Economy No wonder people who believe in bolded above never get out of the $hit hole they live in.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You think NJ is short on illegal immigrants? We're not, yet we're #2 in education. How do you explain that?

An estimated 11.7 percent of the K-12 public school students are dependent children of illegal aliens. Illegal Immigration Figures in New Jersey

How many poor non-English speaking illegal immigrants live in the nicer towns, where schools overall across the board tend to be ranked higher than those in inner cities or worse off areas? Most of Texas's best schools in their best areas are outranked by states like MA's and NJ's in comparable areas. This is just how it is, illegal immigrants aren't an excuse here.
Texas just combines low funding with illegal immigrants to come up with an excuse for the low education ranking. Here in NC, our teachers are paid so poorly that quitting and going to work at Walmart would give them a higher income. You get what you pay for and states like NJ pay the price, but get results. Here in NC, there's certainly a lot of students from NJ going to Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill, because they've got the smarts and the money to displace potential NC students.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:23 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Basically these polls tend to be great for nazis looking for the supremacy of the white race but not so much for places with nice weather , nice beaches and living etc. The question is why are so many people,corporations etc moving to red states? A place like texas has more powerful economy and gsp than many of the blue states combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Texas has the highest ranked high school in america https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ional-rankings and two of the top 5 in the nation. I attended schools in a state, maryland, that is always the highest in public school rankings yet so many of the upper middle class and wealthy around DC send their kids to private and charter and prep schools? Even in boston, only 13% of the public schools system is white.

The question is why are so many people leaving blue states for red states, some of its retirees and weather but alot of it is corporate relocation and job opportunities. This article had texas and califronia at the bottom for opportunity ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies