Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Oh, good grief.

This sort of stuff isn't unique to any one party. It's the reason I don't belong to either party.

Both can be foolish... following their party's dogma and acting like crazy people.

You cannot, with a straight face, type out pronouncements about how Democrats aren't being "grown ups" while you have someone like Trump in office.

He acts like a petulant child most of the time.

Maybe if people quit with the US vs THEM thinking, more would get done to benefit EVERYONE.

Just a late morning Hump Day thought for ya.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:38 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The Republicans said the same exact thing, that Obama will be a one term president, and will block everything he does, and you happily went along with them. Now you're complaining that the Democrats are gonna do the same?
As the Worm Turns.

Got to love the GOP. Dug their heels in and obstructed everything they could. Even shut down the government in their hissy fits.

Now they're all about working together.

Let's sing a Kumbaya in rounds, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
It is so funny to read the pro Democratic sentiment on this forum. Meanwhile the Democrats lost over 1000 seats and they haven't realized why they lost all these seats!

In a way it is sad but keep it up Democrats as it is entertaining to see how an election was won in 2008 and then a party was run straight into the ground with losing what is probably a record loss of seats and as a cherry on the cake, losing the Presidency when they thought they had it in the bag!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You don't see much of it here in CD, but if you read/visit other sites, the Democratic Party is really split right now. Those who are angry about Sanders' treatment are fuming, and they're the same ones who are liking some of what Trump is saying. They're ecstatic about what looks like the end of TPP most of all, but there are other policies they agree on. They're extremely upset that Ellison didn't get the DNC chair position, and they see that as a continued betrayal by the establishment Dems.

It will be interesting to see what their thoughts are if the Democrats obstruct the things they view as positive. Even more interesting to see what that does to the party.

I read and visit other sites and also listen to both liberal and conservative talk radio programs.

Democrats realize they need to come together. I have not heard or read anything of significance about Sanders and the DNC split since right before Trump's inauguration.

The only thing I see of any substance going on within the Democratic party is the fact that the liberal base is forcing elected Democrats to focus on "resisting" and that the local chapters are doing a lot of outreach in historically Democratic stronghold areas.

I was listening to a SE MI (metro Detroit) radio program this morning and they were speaking about how the Dems ignored black voters in MI during the election, thinking they were a shoe in, and that the Dems need to realize they need to come back to Detroit and Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and other Dem cities, along with their suburbs/metro areas, in order to rebuild the consensus.

For over a month they have been speaking about how they have had a lot of inquiries with local Democratic chapters in lots of areas along with debating the race for the DNC chair. Some expressed disappointment in them not choosing to Keith Ellison but also speaking about the need to focus on specific key issues - healthcare being one and the push to a universal healthcare option similar to what Bernie Sanders proposed with "Medicare for All" which is very popular within the party and with independents (such as myself). They are also focused on economic issues and speaking of how they have failed to reach white voters on job creation and initiatives that bring economic investment to specific areas. They are focusing on this in various counties I am aware of in Michigan and also here in Ohio.

Time will tell if anything comes of it.

But I also want to note that even though Trump thinks he won by tens of millions of votes, he did lose the popular vote. Also that many people do not like him, similar to how the GOP felt about Obama and especially the Tea Party. I don't think the Dems will gain much, if any seats in Congress in 2018, it depends on where those contests are going to be held. But I also don't think that Trump and Congress will get anywhere with ACA repeal and replace. I've told the Dems I know who are elected officials or who work with/for the party, that they need to just let Trump do what he wants to do with ACA. I personally believe he and the GOP will ruin it and that that would be the best chance that the Dems have of winning seats in 2018.

Dems are also focused on finding new liberal candidates, similar to how the Tea Party focused on uber conservative candidates. IMO the positions of the Dems today is the same as the GOP was in 2009.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Did somebody really make a new thread about how Democrats need to act like grown ups when the republican POTUS fires or silences everybody that doesn't agree with him? and claims that everything that makes him look bad is fake news? Is that not childish?

Is this real life?!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Been asking Republicans that for 8 years.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The central problem here lies in the simplistic phrase: "change and work together for the good of the people"; There is no such thing!

And by pointing this out, I don't necessarily mean that civilization has to degenerate into "anarchy save for one constable"; only that a mature society makes us all interdependent upon each other, and unfortunately, that unless sufficiently policed, that system provides plenty of opportunities for an undisciplined, and growing minority to exploit the system, and try to get things their way at the expense of everybody else. It also tends to encourage, and insufficiently penalize short-term thinking and planning, and the bill is coming due, and growing every day.

The Democrats' current strategy of "identity politics" revolves around this mentality; The core constituency of the Republicans (and even more so, the libertarians) understands why it doesn't work -- which also explains why self-employed individuals form the strongest bedrock of the conservative advocacies. In fairness, a substantial component of executives and administrators are probably drawn to the Democrats because they, like Trump, have a sound basic understanding of the functions and use of power; but for every person in that position, there are multiple losers and dullards just looking for another handout.

The changing nature of our society, and the simple recognition that all of us are going to face not only the natural consequences of advancing age, but also the continuing deterioration of North American dominance of a globalized economy makes it imperative that some very hard choices will have to be faced. The Republican establishment seems interested only in sugar-coating, and the Democrats, in absolute denial and casting the blame on everyone but themselves.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-01-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Its time for both parties (and supporters) to stop the two team mentality. Stop the divide and the silly us vs. you. Stop the "democrats acted like this so now we are" and "repubs acted like this so now we are". Its a constant cycle of getting nowhere. Its getting so old fast. The only people loosing in this "fight" is ourselves. Everyone needs to get their big kid panties on, suck it up and work together to ensure our country has a big bright future for generations to come.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, good grief.

This sort of stuff isn't unique to any one party. It's the reason I don't belong to either party.

Both can be foolish... following their party's dogma and acting like crazy people.

You cannot, with a straight face, type out pronouncements about how Democrats aren't being "grown ups" while you have someone like Trump in office.
Actually you can. (Yes, I understand your point).

Trump is in office because the two parties consist of a bunch of sniveling lazy pieces of crap. We put them there.

Quote:
He acts like a petulant child most of the time.

Maybe if people quit with the US vs THEM thinking, more would get done to benefit EVERYONE.

Just a late morning Hump Day thought for ya.
Trump was a reaction that said that people were sick of both parties. It did hit the (D)'s that hardest but for some odd reason they simply can't pull their heads out of their backsides.

If you are getting beat this badly you might want to try something different. Give me someone I can support and vote for. Is that asking too much?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Oh please. The two opposing candidates for DNC Chair have joined forces. They already are working together. What Schumer said is that, we've heard speeches from Trump before, but his actions belie the words, so let's see what he actually does.

And, frankly, it is rather amusing to be lectured on 'acting like grown-ups' by Trump supporters, when the dear leader in the WH behaves like a 10-year-old when not minded or scripted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies