Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
1 in 5 on food stamps isn't the best economy in years. It's a failed economy. This speaks for itself about the Obama economy.
And Trump is going to lower that number, right?

I'm going to bookmark this post so I can revisit 6 months from now. LOL

Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What's driving the download?

Oh look. Goldman Sachs is up 30% since placing their people in the white house

Other banks are a major driver as well.

This may not be the happy news it first appears.
anyone think it slightly odd that prior to the election , hillary clinton appeared ( or at least was touted ) as the wall st canditate , the likes of warren buffet backed her , now everyone on wall st ( and buffet ) appears to claim they doubled down as soon as the donald clinched it

almost as if wall st wins no matter who gets in

the markets soared under obama too , something many often forget ( or ignore )

Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Only a democrat would believe that line of BS, obama destroyed the economy, along with everything else he touched. Millions of people dropped out of the job market and millions more were forced to accept part time jobs and multiple jobs in order to survive.
obama was a total failure in every facet of the economy, the great divider..
the top 1% did as well under obama as they did under any of those who came before him , just appears the ultra rich now have their dream choice in the oval office

Old 03-01-2017, 02:03 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Since I, through my 401k (or, the Federal equivalent), own stock, I am mightily pleased. Indeed, during the Obama years it went up very nicely indeed. I shall be the first to shake Mr. Trump's hand if this rally continues for another six to seven years, when I retire and can cash out.

I can imagine that investors (or speculators) are happy: Mr. Trump is promising to cut corporate taxes, cut personal taxes, roll back regulations affecting banks and investment firms, roll back environmental regulations, increase the military budget by almost 10 percent, and spend 1 Trillion dollars on rebuilding our infrastructure.

Yet, I suspect many are jumping into the market to ride it on its upswing, and plan to jump off before the plunge. I hope we will not have a plunge, but Mr. Trump's promises appear, to a layman, to be impossible to keep.

Some used to start new threads during the Obama years about the National Debt. One can't help but think that Mr. Trump's desires will add even more to the debt.

I recall the Reagan years when Mr. Reagan promised to cut taxes (which truly needed to be cut back then, since the highest personal rate was 70 percent, as a hold-over from WWII and Korea), boost the military budget (including 'Star Wars'), and a host of all sorts of other things I can't remember, claiming that the economy would grow so much that out national debt would be paid down. The economy grew, but so did the debt.

We had a 'bull' stock market beginning in 1982. I graduated from law school in 1984. I soon began to invest in some stocks (in 1986). I well recall the 'crash' of October 1987, in which I lost a lot of money due to the market falling some 22 percent (I was in a position that I simply had to sell to pay off some debts; I wish I had done so a week earlier; I think of such to this very day). Anyway, the crash introduced the phrase "What goes up fast comes down fast", and we have had a rather volatile stock market since then.

Of course, that was then, this is now. However, I do have some fears that things can quickly fall apart, especially if Mr. Trump were to come through on his threat of starting a tariff war. We have discussed such in other threads. If Mexico were to start buying all of its corn from south American countries, for instance, that will have a decidedly negative impact on mid-American farmers of corn. The list goes on and on.

Such is life.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the top 1% did as well under obama as they did under any of those who came before him , just appears the ultra rich now have their dream choice in the oval office
Bingo. The drop in taxes will be when it goes nuts. They will pull.money out as fast as they can while our debt explodes.

People are so gullible. Lower taxes, and massive spending is great for wall Street, but it damages our country

Old 03-01-2017, 04:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Think grasshopper think. No Hypocrisy.
  • Hillary was wall street candidate because they tried to buy her influence. One look at where her money came from. Clinton foundation is no going belly up because money has dried up.
  • Wall Street is booming because investors are now putting their money into stocks because they believe Trump economy will be great.
It's not complicated, but does require open mind.
It would help the Leftists a LOT if they could just wrap their heads around exactly what the Stock Market is AND, what it is not. It's NOT about Big Banks, it's about a variety of Industries that are Stockholder owned and the stocks are determined by Business Growth and Profit FOR the Stockholders. The vast majority of those Stock Holdings are Pension Funds and 401Ks.

I visited my broker yesterday to 're-balance' BEFORE the Trump Speech
Today was a VERY good day, but it was also EXACTLY what I thought it would be.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
No lefty here. But I would say that I'm bearish on this market. I don't believe that protectionism, crony capitalism, and increased national debt will be good for the economy in the long run. I would not be putting any new money into this market.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
1 in 5 on food stamps isn't the best economy in years. It's a failed economy. This speaks for itself about the Obama economy.
Did people magically drop off of food stamps? No, then it would seem during Trump's presidency there were also numerous people on food stamps. What a horrible performance!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Only a democrat would believe that line of BS, obama destroyed the economy, along with everything else he touched. Millions of people dropped out of the job market and millions more were forced to accept part time jobs and multiple jobs in order to survive.
obama was a total failure in every facet of the economy, the great divider..
The number of people working part time for economic reasons and those out of the work force who want a job have been declining for 5 years. Hopefully the trend will continue.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:27 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
1 in 5 on food stamps isn't the best economy in years. It's a failed economy. .

Bold face lie,I see still no links???

Try reading this.

http://www.cbpp.org/research/a-quick...y-and-benefits

Last edited by G1..; 03-02-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies