Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times

Advertisements

I found it hard to live on $120K in NYC. Don't get me wrong, it's much easier than living on $60K and I have a lot of friends who still do that. They share an apartment with 10 other people, have to save for months for a decent vacation in Europe and are usually always broke between rent, college debt and healthcare expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I thought in the article it even claims somebody makes up $700k and still complaining. What a bunch of ..
Make ends meet isn't not the same as can't afford to buy a house there.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Kind of makes one wonder how families where the husband and wife work in the service industries and make a combined $60,000 a year are able to survive in that area.......

Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
I found it hard to live on $120K in NYC. Don't get me wrong, it's much easier than living on $60K and I have a lot of friends who still do that. They share an apartment with 10 other people, have to save for months for a decent vacation in Europe and are usually always broke between rent, college debt and healthcare expenses.
My neighbor's daughter got a job in New York right out of law school. She was paid $160,000 and still had to live in a 1 bedroom apartment with another person. Prices to rent and buy are just ridiculous in some cities.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Probably one those those rich people that Trump is catering to, who doesnt need the child tax care credit... So greedy....
Did you educate yourself (and take out debt) so you can do his job? Probably not. So what makes him greedy and you not? Mentality like this stinks BIGLY. If you want his pay go out and get an education that pays that wage instead of being jealous and slamming him for doing it.

You don't want anything to do with making the pie but you want a piece of the pie when it's made?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My neighbor's daughter got a job in New York right out of law school. She was paid $160,000 and still had to live in a 1 bedroom apartment with another person. Prices to rent and buy are just ridiculous in some cities.
yea, people who cry the blues over what another makes because it's better than their wage first don't know the difference between high income and true wealth. Nor do they think past their nose about the cost of living in different parts of the country.

People who work hard to succeed are really sick of the jealousy perpetuated by the left.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-feeling-poor

I get places like SF can be expensive but geez, if you can't make 160K work you have problems.
Not surprised. You'd need to make near 200K+ to be comfortable in SF. That's income inequality right there, magnified.

Shortage of housing + super duper high demand = high prices. Ah that free market. Lovely ain't it?

If you want the real economic and political justification instead of the BS posted in this thread watch the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAlA4hZ94OI

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Not surprised. You'd need to make near 200K+ to be comfortable in SF. That's income inequality right there, magnified.

Shortage of housing + super duper high demand = high prices. Ah that free market. Lovely ain't it?

If you want the real economic and political justification instead of the BS posted in this thread watch the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAlA4hZ94OI
Fault isn't the free market, it's the tight restrictions against developing housing & rent control. The tech companies want to hire more workers than there are available uncontrolled & vacant controlled apartments available ---> wage/price spiral. Simple enough solution is to build more but that's against the interest of landlords, homeowners, and deeply rent-controlled renters so not politically viable and you get stuff like this article as a consequence*.

*Or the $160K-earning engineer with a valid gripe; the $700K/$1M people are just being silly.

edit: we do largely agree that shortage plus demand equals high prices, but it's ridiculous to blame this on the free market and not the causal reasons for the shortage.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM

49 posts, read 53,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well, clearly it wouldn't be a problem if she were making what men make, since according to feminists women get paid less she should be making significantly more, so tell her to sue the company!!!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Fault isn't the free market, it's the tight restrictions against developing housing & rent control. The tech companies want to hire more workers than there are available uncontrolled & vacant controlled apartments available ---> wage/price spiral. Simple enough solution is to build more but that's against the interest of landlords, homeowners, and deeply rent-controlled renters so not politically viable and you get stuff like this article as a consequence*.

*Or the $160K-earning engineer with a valid gripe; the $700K/$1M people are just being silly.
To say the free market isn't at fault is a lie. Prices rise because people want to make the max profit they can and if the market will allow it to happen, then they will do it. Greed drives everything, regardless if prices are "reasonable" or not. In addition there are reasons for those regulations. Because the city does not want to demolish buildings that are of historical significance, or restrict height of buildings so that public parks to not be covered from sunlight, etc... There are logical reasons to restrict housing. The city does not want to lose it's distinct neighborhoods...same as if the city were to go knock on your door and say hey I want to demolish your home and buy you out to make a skyscraper. Would you give up your property if you've been there 30 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies