Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Well, clearly it wouldn't be a problem if she were making what men make, since according to feminists women get paid less she should be making significantly more, so tell her to sue the company!!!
Are you jealous she has made more than you right out of law school lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
To say the free market isn't at fault is a lie. Prices rise because people want to make the max profit they can and if the market will allow it to happen, then they will do it. Greed drives everything, regardless if prices are "reasonable" or not. In addition there are reasons for those regulations. Because the city does not want to demolish buildings that are historical significance, or restrict height of buildings so that public parks to not be covered from sunlight, etc... There are logical reasons to restrict housing. The city does not want to lose it's distinct neighborhoods...same as if the city were to go knock on your door and say hey I want to demolish your home and buy you out to make a skyscraper. Would you give up your property if you've been there 30 years?
'I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.' -- Thomas Sowell.

Yes greed drives people to work, invest and even people who want welfare paid for by the tax payer, people who want something without doing or giving something of value in return. Only the ladder group of people don't realize they are being greedy. Democrats encourage their mindset of feeling entitled to other peoples money.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
To say the free market isn't at fault is a lie. Prices rise because people want to make the max profit they can and if the market will allow it to happen, then they will do it. Greed drives everything, regardless if prices are "reasonable" or not. In addition there are reasons for those regulations. Because the city does not want to demolish buildings that are historical significance, or restrict height of buildings so that public parks to not be covered from sunlight, etc... There are logical reasons to restrict housing. The city does not want to lose it's distinct neighborhoods...same as if the city were to go knock on your door and say hey I want to demolish your home and buy you out to make a skyscraper. Would you give up your property if you've been there 30 years?
Allowing people to voluntarily sell to developers <> eminent domain.

Supply/demand is just a mechanism. You want to explain or fix the problem, need to understand the causal drivers and resolve at the root of the problem. The reasons to restrict housing development are logical for 20-year rent controlled incumbents and property owners (low-rise, well-kept urban areas are pretty and people don't want to live near construction or see the architecture they grew up around change) but do huge harm to market rate renters, people who are forced out or not to come, and the national economy as people work in lower value-producing jobs in regions with less labor productivity but cheaper housing instead. The NIMBYs all (can) vote, those locked out entirely can't, and the harm to those harmed by the construction freeze is far more severe than the benefit to the NIMBYs. It's like a classic example of how democracy can break down and generate bad outcomes. It's a fundamentally political problem.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Allowing people to voluntarily sell to developers <> eminent domain.

Supply/demand is just a mechanism. You want to explain or fix the problem, need to understand the causal drivers and resolve at the root of the problem. The reasons to restrict housing development are logical for 20-year rent controlled incumbents and property owners (low-rise, well-kept urban areas are pretty and people don't want to live near construction or see the architecture they grew up around change) but do huge harm to market rate renters, people who are forced out or not to come, and the national economy as people work in lower value-producing jobs in regions with less labor productivity but cheaper housing instead. The NIMBYs all (can) vote, those locked out entirely can't, and the harm to those harmed by the construction freeze is far more severe than the benefit to the NIMBYs. It's like a classic example of how democracy can break down and generate bad outcomes. It's a fundamentally political problem.
Well NIMBYs is also a cause of the problem. But so is income inequality. The more wealthier people are out there, the higher they can drive the prices. If inequality gets so bad, no market-based solution will work, hence rent control as the fundamental problem is, lower wage workers cannot afford to live there and you need to have lower wage workers in the local economy for it to function. It isn't just the NIMBYs and/or regulations put in place. Causes are two fold.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
'I have never understood why it is greed to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.' -- Thomas Sowell.

Yes greed drives people to work, invest and even people who want welfare paid for by the tax payer, people who want something without doing or giving something of value in return. Only the ladder group of people don't realize they are being greedy. Democrats encourage their mindset of feeling entitled to other peoples money.
Everyone is greedy, I don't understand what's the problem with that. That's what happens when you artifically restrict resources placed upon everyone. Welfare is necessary because of the economic system of capitalism. Because it does not give a rats a$$ about morality. Imagine if unemployment benefits didn't exist back in 2008/2009, guess what would have happened? The same exact effects of a 3rd world country would happen. People starving on the streets, getting sick, dying, etc... This happened during the Great Depression when these safety nets didn't exist, hence FDR was a progressive and enacted the safety nets we know today.

Are you just ignorant of history? Or you just complaining that you don't get paid enough money to live on and think lower taxes is the solution? Because let me tell you, taxes is just a quick fix for a more systemic problem. Like you said, if you want to fix the problem of wages and jobs, go after the core issue that causes it: income inequality.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...d-feeling-poor

I get places like SF can be expensive but geez, if you can't make 160K work you have problems.

Must be his cocaine and heroine addictions.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Everyone is greedy, I don't understand what's the problem with that. That's what happens when you artifically restrict resources placed upon everyone. Welfare is necessary because of the economic system of capitalism. Because it does not give a rats a$$ about morality. Imagine if unemployment benefits didn't exist back in 2008/2009, guess what would have happened? The same exact effects of a 3rd world country would happen. People starving on the streets, getting sick, dying, etc... This happened during the Great Depression when these safety nets didn't exist, hence FDR was a progressive and enacted the safety nets we know today.

Are you just ignorant of history? Or you just complaining that you don't get paid enough money to live on and think lower taxes is the solution? Because let me tell you, taxes is just a quick fix for a more systemic problem. Like you said, if you want to fix the problem of wages and jobs, go after the core issue that causes it: income inequality.
Well if you read my post you'd comprehend better AND know that I said that yes everyone is greedy. Only people who feel entitled to other people's money don't recognize their greed.

As I read the rest of your post I wonder if the world is coming to an end AGAIN.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Debatable. Not single and one dependant here, far less than $160k.

Of course, I'm not living an extravagant life, but I'm also not struggling to get by, either.

This is largely an expectations issue.
It's all relative.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:

Lower classes want the same lifestyle as the middle and upper classes but ignore the fact that these people take on debt in addition to working to pay for their standard of living. Some people in the lower classes don't even realize this is how those lifestyle is being supported. I owe, I owe so off to work I go. Then having an entitlement mentality they think they are being screwed because they feel entitled to getting more handouts to support the same lifestyle as the mid and upper classes.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well if you read my post you'd comprehend better AND know that I said that yes everyone is greedy. Only people who feel entitled to other people's money don't recognize their greed.

As I read the rest of your post I wonder if the world is coming to an end AGAIN.
Yeah no I did read your post, I repeated that because, greed is what causes people to think you're entitled to your full paycheck without taxes.

Did you just ignore the 2nd half of my post? That's the most important part and that's when this country will burn to the ground if we don't reverse course. If you think conservatives will solve this problem by slashing taxes and regulations, good luck. I'll be laughing at conservatives when this thing falls on it's face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies